is 4gig slim model enough for online gaming of modern releases

strid

Standard Member
Reaction score
So, a so called expert told me you wouldn't be able to play Black Ops etc online on this limited amount of space - 4gig, is this true?
He also said that there wasn't any available expansion HDD just yet, only usb type add ons?
All feedback greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

So, a so called expert told me you wouldn't be able to play Black Ops etc online on this limited amount of space - 4gig, is this true?
It's not true. A handful (literally 2 or 3 that I know of) of 360 games require a hard drive to play, but Black Ops isn't one of them.

He also said that there wasn't any available expansion HDD just yet, only usb type add ons?
He's wrong about that too.

That's great news.:D
Yeah, this expert was at an independent game store, i told him i play modern warfare 2 and black ops on line on the ps3 but was looking to move to xbox. He said i'd need the 250g model to play those and other popular games:confused:

Unless there's a really good deal about on the 4GB, I'd go for the 250GB model anyway to be honest. It's nice to be able to install all of your disc-based games to the hard drive, plus it gives you plenty of room for map packs and whatever.

That's great news.:D
Yeah, this expert was at an independent game store, i told him i play modern warfare 2 and black ops on line on the ps3 but was looking to move to xbox. He said i'd need the 250g model to play those and other popular games:confused:

********, 4GB will be enough, just means you can't download the game to the HD, but thats no biggie, for me anyway. Just got to watch what you download and you can always used a memory stick (up to 8GB) if you run out of space.

I play MW2, BLOPS and tiger woods mostly and I have no problem with 4GB.

But as others have said, if you can stretch to 250GB and you would use it for other stuff, then do it.:smashin:

is there a difference between installing a game to the hard drive and saving one. the reason i ask is that people have told me it can take between 4 and 6gb to install a game on the hard drive, but when i have looked at games in the shops, on the back it tells you how much space you need to save the game and it is generally only about 5 and 40mb, are they both the same thing or is there a difference.

is there a difference between installing a game to the hard drive and saving one.
Yep.

Installing a game is totally optional. When you install a game, an image of the game disc (technically, the game data part of the disc) is made on the hard drive or USB device. You still need to have the disc in the drive to prove you own the game when you want to play it, but the game runs entirely from the hard drive/USB device, which means it's quieter (as the disc doesn't spin at all during play) and loading times will be a bit better. It also cuts down on wear and tear on the DVD drive. Game installs take up anywhere from a few hundred MB to 6.9 GB (there's a list of game install sizes HERE). You can delete a game install at any time and go back to playing from the game disc.

Game saves are separate from game installs, so deleting a game install does not delete your save. I have a USB stick with a couple of hundred game saves on it, along with 2 gamertags, several themes, gamerpics and avatar items, and it takes up about 400 MB I think, so you wouldn't have to worry about having space to save games with a 4GB 360, but you haven't really got room to install any games so you'd be playing them all from disc.

Last edited:
thanks DJ, thats very helpful i was a bit confused between the two. i was going to get the 4gb from tesco's for £145 including formula one 2010, which is a good deal for me as formula one is the main reason i am getting an xbox, but now i am having second thoughts i may wait for a good deal on the 250gb as i don't like noisy equipment and it would be quieter installing the games on the hard drive, either that or use a usb stick with the 4gb.

Thanks for all the info.
I purchased a 4gig bundle pack with Kinect and I play Black Ops online with no issues (as you've all agreed). Is the max usb stick size 8 gig? Are you limited to the amount of usb sticks used? I think the slim model has 3 ports.

Is the max usb stick size 8 gig? Are you limited to the amount of usb sticks used? I think the slim model has 3 ports.
You can allot up to 16GB on a USB device, even if the device is larger than that. You can use up to 2 devices at once for a total of 32GB of storage.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom