1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is 42" huge ??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lei179, Aug 16, 2004.

1. lei179

lei179

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    OK so ive decided on a 42" pw6,i have a 32" flat screen at the mo and i am wondering if a 42" will be a bit big,dont want mrs lei being right :D ,so my question has anyone got any pics of a 42" next to a 32" crt ?.

cheers.

Lei

2. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    Depends on the size of the room it will be in really. I've seen a 42" in a small lounge and it seems huge. In reality it's far too big for the room. I'd consult the missus first as most women don't seem to appreciate the need for a large screen tv. Remember, when you look at 42" plasmas in large show rooms they won't seem as big as when you get them home to your lounge. It was quite a regular thing for people to exange 32" widescreen sets for the smaller 28"/24" sets for being to big when I was working for John Lewis.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    No comparitive pics. You could make some cardboard replicas......

Speaking as someone who upgraded a few years ago from a 27inch 4x3 CRT item (viewable about 25 inch) to a 37 inch RP (viewable 37); I thought it huge at first. But it shrank* in the first few weeks to the point where, a few years later, I had the opportunity and upgraded again, this time to a front projection system with a screen about 100 inch diagonal. This too was huge; and this, too has shrunk*.

* not actually - of course; but perceptually. You become accustomed to it after a time. Anyhow - my advice is, the bigger, the better.

4. scoooby

scoooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Are we talking penis size?

5. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Liam,
    Sorry I have no pictures, but I changed from a 32" CRT to a 42" PW6 Plasma.
    I was worried about whether it would be too big at a viewing distance of about 10ft. but I find it fantastic and now 32" sets just look like postage stamps to me.
    I watch more telly now than I did before. (perhaps you should not tell 'er indoors that).

Regards

6. thebigkung

thebigkung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I too went from 32"crt but to 43" plasma and it's huge! Mainly 'cos people are now larger than life when watching TV. But if you're watching Films (DVD's) then it's not that big. Think of how big movies are when you go to the cinema! Also 'cos most are in wide, wide screen you loose the full height of the screen. It's all relative and what you're used to.

I'd say if you only watch TV, and even then only occasionally then you don't need the size or the extra loss in PQ due to the scaling.

If you only really watch films then it's a minimum must. :thumbsup:

all IMHO of course.

Regards

thebigkung

7. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went from a 32" Aconda to a 42" PE30, I did actually see a 32" Aconda standing next to Pioneer 43" screen and it looked tiny, it made me consider whether or not to go for the 37" Viera instead, but I'm glad I didn't because my 42" screen doesn't seem big at all now, in fact it's much less bulky than the Aconda was so fits in the room much better. I only sit about 8ft away from the screen and it's fine, I don't think it would have been worth upgrading to a 37" as it's hardly any bigger, just my opinion though.

8. Portstanley

Portstanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    42" Tv or the misses.

Do you really have to decide.

Pack her bags for her to save time, and then wave good bye as she walks up the garden path. :hiya:

...But then the dishes mount up :oops:

9. lei179

lei179

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

Nice one :D ,well i just popped down to dare i say it here ...comet..and took a look,they DO look huge compared to a 32" but hey women say size doesnt matter........until it comes to plasma screens :D .

ill be sitting about 8 feet away and it will be wall mounted so i think it will look ok,how far will it stick out? my guess would be 100mm or so.I tell you lads if i get this wrong,its the shed for me :rotfl:

Lei

10. Portstanley

Portstanley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    correct it would be about 100MM.

Thats sounds a decent distance.
    Get some serial boxes or something and the screen will be about 21" tall, 36" across if my maths is good. Then you shall see the size on the wall.

Wow i learnt somethingat school :lesson:

I learnt something since school. Women are always right and never ....ever....agree with them when they think they have put weight on.
    :nono: :suicide:

11. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went from a 28" CRT to a 90" front projection image and viewed from about 10ft. I soon got used to the size. It was especially good for sport and films.

I am replacing the projector with a 50" plasma and believe it or not, I am a bit worried that the image will appear small.

It doesn't matter what I watched, I prefered it on a bigger screen.

Don't worry about the plasma being to big. You will soon get used the the size and will probably love your new television. You might even want to upgrade to a bigger screen in time.

Also take into account that the plasma will take up no where near as much room at the rear.

Cheer

12. lei179

lei179

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for the replies guys,ive just put up a cardboard template,and i must say i doesnt look too big!,seems about right for the size of the room and the viewing distance.Now i just hope that bluetac hold till the mrs can see it !.

Lei

13. Si133

Si133

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've gone from a 24" 4:3 TV to a 42PE30 and the wife says it doesn't look that big! In fact, I'm beginning to wish I'd gone for the 50".

14. esrg

esrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just put my 42 " on the wall on saturday in a small lounge and sat about 9feet away. Is great for Halle berry - Is too big for Pat Butcher. I.e you don't want normal tele that big. It's an intrusion.

15. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I also went from a 32 sony CRT to a 42" PW6, although the veiwing area is alot larger the space it takes up is 75% less if wall mounted, took me all of 5 min to get used to it and has made the lounge seem 25% larger.
    Quattro

16. lei179

lei179

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    This is what i keep telling myself,and the mrs,10% more floorspace to put more of her stuff in. :D Ill be going to av sales at the weekend to view the screen,still a bit unsure on taking 'ur indoors' cos although she thinks they look nice in other peoples pictures,shes got it in her head it will look huge,then in the next breath,oooh it will make the lounge look bigger. :suicide:

av sales here i come !