• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is 400/800/1600Hz processing worth money?

Nick4704

Standard Member
Hi

Can anybody explain what are advantages of higher picture processing frequency? What I see if I spent more money for higher Hz in real life?
I mean is that SD (DVD, broadcast), HD or FHD when I see better picture? Or what that "better" means?

As I understood it is even more complicated-actual refresh rate is 50/100Hz and other Hz go to blinking.
I saw some reviewers turn off all the processing, so when and why?

If all processing is off, then why people buying all that expensive TVs?!
Should I go for let's say L42E6B (100Hz BLB = 50Hz panel + 50Hz blinking) or L42ET60 (600Hz BLS???) (it can be any brand LG lm620 vs lm760, etc)

Please help.
Thank you
Nick

vickster

Distinguished Member
3D TVs tend to have more processing, needed for the 3D, won't necessarily have any effect on a 2D picture, motion handling etc. Bit of marketing swordplay too, consumers associate big numbers with better

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
The extra processing is to help motion on LCD, however whilst it can reduce blur it often creates motion artifacts. The big numbers are a lot to do with marketing really, if you want minimum motion blur you want plasma.

Nick4704

Standard Member
Ok.

If I turn off all the processing then my 800Hz TV with 100Hz panel becomes like 50Hz TV?
I mean if that processing is off is there any sense of higher Hz TV?
I'm afraid of old CRT style flickering most of all.

Thanks.
Nikolajs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom