1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is 4*AGP much worse than 8*AGP?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by cameronl, Jul 30, 2003.

1. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there all, I have decided to get my self a new computer. I really like the look of the Soltek Qbic Barebones System.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Soltek_barebones.html

However, I see it only has a 4*AGP slot. I want to buy a Radeon 9500 for games - will the 4*AGP be much of a bottleneck or am I better of choosing a motherboard with 8*AGP?

thanks

CaM

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I do not notice any performance increase between 4x and 8x with my mobo/g card. Modos an abit nf7-s and g card is an ati radeon 9700 pro. I would think the 4x would suffice but for mobo longevity might suggest you get the 8x spec for any g card upgrades you may wish to take advantage of in the future.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,750
    I think that the games have to be specially written to take full use of 8* AGP (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!!) so at the moment I can't see it making mych difference at all. But, as Hawklord points out, an 8* AGP slot will give you more longevity - if there is such a thing in the computer world ;)
    I'm sure Intel are planning to bring out PCI Express in the near future which will do away with the AGP slot altogether.

4. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there guys, thanks for the info. From what you have said I'll get the 4*agp with the radon 9500 then.

thanks

CaM

5. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is hardly any difference whatsoever in any benchmarks, I have owned many cards including my current radeon 9700 pro 8x , If you turn it off there is no noticable difference.

6. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    nope, no difference.

the only time the agp transfer rate comes into play, is when you run out of graphics card memory. and seeing as most modern cards have 128mb+ on board, that happens rearly, if at all.