1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is 3802 really Dolby Digital EX?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by greeny, Jan 7, 2002.

1. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought this amp a couple of weeks ago.

The literature on the Denon web site and elsewhere states this amp decodes Dolby Digital EX (and DTS ES). Having been through the manual a couple of times there is no mention of Dolby Digital EX, there is plenty of talk about DTS ES however.

The amp (or manual, or packaging) does not even show the Dolby Digital EX logo.

Can anyone confirm that it relly does decode EX??

Another question. If using Dolby Pro Logic 2 and having a single rear speaker (+ 2 surround) connected, what actually comes through the rear speaker. The surrounds are stereo in PLII, but no matrix processing occurs as far as i'm aware so what comes through the rear speaker??

Cheers

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Yes, it does decode Dolby Digital EX.

But, the "True" Dolby EX system is THX Surround EX which was developed between Dolby & THX and is found on the higher end amps, Denon A1SE etc.

The decoder in the 3802 does a perfectly good job though! Its shown as 6.1 surround on the display.

Not sure about the PL2 question but PL2 is a matrix decoding process as far as i´m aware, you´ll need someone with more knowledge on PL2 than me!!!

cheers

3. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Jase.

Yes, I have noticed the 6.1 on the On-Screen Display, but was unsure why this was not 'advertised' more in the manual etc. especially as they seem to advertise this on their web site.

With the rear speaker question, same question applies when playing a standard 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack but using a single rear speaker. What actually comes through it???

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi

The information for the rear back channel/s is extracted from the left & right surrounds of a 5.1 system via a matrix decoding process.

I´m just not sure about PL2, maybe its matrixing a matrix system?? as it were!!:confused: