1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is 350 Lumens too low ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jjcool, Aug 12, 2004.

1. jjcool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    my mates friend is selling his projector,
    and lucky enough im on the lookout for a cheap projector,

however im curious about the Lumens,

he said the projectors Brightness is 350 Lumens,

this sounds very low, but does this mean the projector is not any good?

does it mean the picture will be very very dim and poor qulality with only 350 Lumens?

im very new to projectors and never owned one so i hope u guys can advize me if this projector is worth buying if its cheap enough or is it just junk.

Brightness (Lumens) : 350 ANSI
    Contrast: ANSI:
    Full On/Off: 200:1
    Weight: 17.6 lbs.
    Size (inches) (HxWxD) : 5.9 x 12.7 x 16.0
    Throw Dist (feet) : 3.3 - 39.4
    Image Size (inches) : 19.0 - 300.0
    Lens: Focus:
    Zoom: Power
    Optional Lenses: No
    Digital Zoom: **
    Keystone Correction: Fixed
    Lens Shift: No
    Compatibility: HDTV:
    EDTV/480p: **
    SDTV/480i: **
    Component Video: **
    Video: Yes
    Digital Input: **
    Personal Computers: Yes
    Networking: Wired:
    Wireless: No
    Warranty: 1 Year
    Lamp: Type:
    250W Metal Halide
    Life: 2000 hours
    Quantity: 1
    Display: Type:
    1.3" TFT LCD (3)
    Native: 800x600 Pixels
    Maximum: 1024x768 Pixels
    Aspect Ratio: 4:3 (SVGA)
    H-Sync Range: 15.0 - 48.0kHz
    V-Sync Range: 50 - 75Hz
    Pixel Clock: **
    Speakers: 1.0W+ 1.0W
    Max Power: 370W
    Voltage: 110V - 240V
    FCC Class: A
    Audible Noise: **
    Special: **
    First Ship: **
    Last Ship: **
  2. DVDcake

Jul 1, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Invading Surrey UK
    350 lumens is enough output for a decent sized image (over 100 inches) as long as you can eliminate any ambient light i.e use it in darkness either at night or with a blackout blind over any window during the day. The contrast of 200:1 is quite low and so you will not get good blacks on the screen, only greys where the black should be and any ambient light will degrade this contrast further.

You should also consider how many hours use are left on the current lamp and how much replacements will be if they are still advailable as the projector is no longer made. Technology is moving very quickly in the video projector world with many models using unique lamps so old projectors with limited lamp life left are all but worthless. If the lamp has lots of hours left then the projector might be worth two to three hundred pounds and could be purchased as a first projector to experiment with but otherwise I would not bother with it.

There are many new projectors advailable now for around £600 that boast the same resolution as this one but with greater light output and better contrast, substantially so in the case of those using DLP technology.