Is 31-59 fps in 4k games a waste of time (for me)?

dragontycoon

Established Member
Reaction score
Let me explain, I'm trying to put together a 4k gaming pc for the 4k tv I bought, it supports 4k 60hz with it enabled in the settings (God knows why it needs to be enabled but I'm sure there is a tech reason).

I'm thinking a ryzen (for the cheap threads, baby), 16gb ddr4 ram, an ssd and then a graphics card...

I hate tearing in games so always use vsync, and it's my understanding that vsync halves the fps from 60 to 30 if it goes below 60, is this correct? If it is, then pushing the boat out for a 2080ti seems a little pointless if for the most part I am always gaming at 30 fps due to vysnc. From the benchmarks I've seen, the 2080ti can get solid 60+fps in older games but even it struggles to maintain it in newer ones. I could save some money and then in a couple of years, when 4k gaming will hopefully, finally, be mainstream, upgrade again.

I suppose QHD is always an option, but I keep reading mixed reviews on whether it is blurry or not because "it's not an exact fit with 1080p/4k". I've even read to use a custom resolution between QHD and 4k.

Confused. Thanks for any help.

V-sync won't limit the FPS to 30
i play on 4k tv and i'm able to play just find at 60 fps with v-sync turn on , ( like your self i don't like tearing )

with some game/s you should be able to set the FPS limit to 60 ( i think the Division has this option )
then turn on v-sync , but most games i play, i have just turned on v-sync and then the game will be set/locked 60 fps .

As for QHD ( 2k) on a 4k screen , is just fine , some games like like shadow of the tomb raider for example - i'm playing at 1440p , because my 1080 ti will not hit 60pfs ( depending on the settings within the game ) , but at 1440p it never moves from 60fps and still looks fantastic, not blurry at all ..

But vsync does kill fps, right? It reduces sub 60 fps to 30 fps.

The worst part is consistency, going from 60 fps to 30 fps is very jarring and an immersion killer.

Not had this problem for a while, my gtx 1060 has pretty much run anything I've thrown at it at 1080p.

The worst part is consistency, going from 60 fps to 30 fps is very jarring and an immersion killer.

Not had this problem for a while, my gtx 1060 has pretty much run anything I've thrown at it at 1080p.
Doesn't on mine while im gaming , i normally have fraps running (OSD) so i can see what the FPS is at all times , ( been using steams FPS counter with shadow of the tomb raider because fraps doesn't work on DX12 games ) and while i was gaming in 4k ( testing ) the counter would show in the mid 40's some time hitting 50fps .

i can see what you mean about v-sync killing the FPS ,
say you run a game and it easy hit 90 fps ( without v-sync on ) but as soon as turn it on it will drop to say 60 or 30 FPS , that because , v-sync will set the FPS to what ever the monitors refresh is ,
So if the monitors refresh is 60hz , that's what v-sync will limit the FPS too .

No it doesn't do that, even if vysnc is on it will still be variable if under 60. Some games have a "half" setting in vysnc. Mayb that does what you are meaning? Not sure.
But vsync does sap a few frames, that's why in some consoles games in the past vsync is left off if can't do the solid framerate hence the tearing. Or at least thats what i assumed as if it was on you wouldn't get any despite variable rate.

You're both right, I tested a couple of games last night and got 40-50 fps with vsync on, so I have no idea why I got it into my head that fps would be either 30 or 60.

My main concern now is consistency and microstuttering.

You're both right, I tested a couple of games last night and got 40-50 fps with vsync on, so I have no idea why I got it into my head that fps would be either 30 or 60.

what are you using now ( pc parts ) i gather your getting some stuttering with in games with it ?

I think Nvidia's adaptive v-sync should help in this scenario, alternatively for games that don't have built in caps use RTSS to cap the frame rate to 30fps globally or per title, Nvidia's own driver tool may be able to do this but RTSS is a lot more reliable allegedly (certainly for AMD cards in my experience).

You can control your graphics via Nvidia control panel.
Forget the specific fps What matters is that the game runs smoothly
The human eye can't detect frame rates This is why people use counters Take away the counter and use your own judgement Smooth is good Jerky is not Its that simple.
Believe me no one can tell the difference between 45 and 60fps.
Very high framerates via monitors are a waste of time as the human limit is 110fps Anything above that is invisible
You need a 1080ti for your 4k gaming. It deals easily with all games at 4k ultra. Ignore those on here who say it can't as they obviously don't have a 1080ti.
Ignore the 2080 it's less powerful than the 1080ti
Today I played far cry 5 I had it on ultra settings 4k and it used 10.8 gb vram The 2080 only has 8gb vram
Don't but any new gen cards until they come with more than 11gb vram
If you turn on aa in fc5 it uses 14gb vram
The 2080ti isn't remotely future proofed.
Its going to be many years before 4k gaming catches on with the pc community Cost is a major factor
1080ti prices may not fall as quickly as people think
4k gaming is brilliant If you want to play at ultra settings it's going to cost lots of money

Yes I agree, 4k gaming is stunning on a big tv, not that 1080p is terrible or anything. My gtx 1060 died recently so I know how 4k should look, albeit with poor 20fps frame rate. Textures in Fallout 4 that once look smudged suddenly look crisp and have weight to them. I firmly believe 4k gaming is the future, not this VR stuff.

It's a bit frustrating knowing you have to get a 2080ti and pay over a grand to secure 4k60fps gaming, we really should be at the point now where 4k60fps is mainstream (I blame the miners). The 1080ti is a cheaper solution at six hundred, but even that struggles with some games according to reviews.

It should only be a matter of a couple of years before it is mainstream, but with the 1060 dying (will try to get an rma, but who knows how long that will take), I am a little forced into an upgrade.

Had a quick look at QHD on a 4k tv, and there isn't enough of a visual upgrade to make me buy a 1070ti or whatever is required for smooth QHD gaming. I'd prefer to go all out and get a 4k graphics card.

You need a 1080ti for your 4k gaming. It deals easily with all games at 4k ultra. Ignore those on here who say it can't as they obviously don't have a 1080ti.

Total BS !!!!!

No Don't ignore "those" who say you can't game at 4k ON MAX/ULTRA SETTING on some games
yea you can on a few , but there are loads of games that can't be played
Unless you play them on the lowest settings within the 4k range,
if that's the case then play the game at 1440p at high/max/ultra settings , because it will look way better at 1440p high/ultra than it will at 4k on the lowest settings .

I have two 1080ti's in two different PC's , and when "I" say and "others" say you can't max out games and play then on ultra with a 1080 ti , then you can't !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think vsync used to be like that but maybe it has improved. Is adaptive v sync a thing now? Back in the day I too am convinced vsync used to half your frame rate if you did not hit 60

You can control your graphics via Nvidia control panel.
Forget the specific fps What matters is that the game runs smoothly
The human eye can't detect frame rates This is why people use counters Take away the counter and use your own judgement Smooth is good Jerky is not Its that simple.
Believe me no one can tell the difference between 45 and 60fps.
Very high framerates via monitors are a waste of time as the human limit is 110fps Anything above that is invisible
Ignore the 2080 it's less powerful than the 1080ti
Today I played far cry 5 I had it on ultra settings 4k and it used 10.8 gb vram The 2080 only has 8gb vram
Don't but any new gen cards until they come with more than 11gb vram
If you turn on aa in fc5 it uses 14gb vram
The 2080ti isn't remotely future proofed.
Its going to be many years before 4k gaming catches on with the pc community Cost is a major factor
1080ti prices may not fall as quickly as people think
4k gaming is brilliant If you want to play at ultra settings it's going to cost lots of money
I disagree with most of the above tbh.

@dragontycoon..... About qhd and resolution..
I have a 65 inch screen and visually qhd is the mutts nuts! My only issue is a personal one that my screen has high latency if I use any Res other than 4k due to the scaler in it hence my gtx 980 has to go.

QHD looks much closer to 4k than it does 1080p imo but is far far easier on resources.

As for saying 4k is the future not VR. Everyone is entitled to an opinion
.... (It is wrong of course ... VR is transformative in some games far more than a sharper resolution ;) )

Last edited:
I disagree with most of the above tbh.

@dragontycoon..... About qhd and resolution..
I have a 65 inch screen and visually qhd is the mutts nuts! My only issue is a personal one that my screen has high latency if I use any Res other than 4k due to the scaler in it hence my gtx 980 has to go.

QHD looks much closer to 4k than it does 1080p imo but is far far easier on resources.

As for saying 4k is the future not VR. Everyone is entitled to an opinion
.... (It is wrong of course ... VR is transformative in some games far more than a sharper resolution ;) )

Yeah i thought that VR comment may rustle a few jimmies, I was thinking of taking it out.

QHD looked a little better than 1080p, but not by much, not enough for me to upgrade my RMA'd gtx 1060. This is a pretty selfish thread, it's all about me and what I want rather than what is best for others. QHD was ok, but it didn't wow me like 4k, like "where has this been all my life" kind of impact.

no feathers russled here.... it is your view and you are entitled to it.
about QHD... i wonder if the quality of the scaler in the screen has anything to do with it (the downside of my sony set is that with anything other than native there is more lag - iirc its around 80ms vs 20ms at 4K (its a tv not a gaming screen but 20ms i am fine with)

When i 1st saw 4k i was blown away, however QHD also blows me a way - but for very fast games - like pinball for instance - i can feel the lag a bit. perhaps the reason why it is a bit laggy is because the scaler is doing a lot of work to make QHD look damn sexy

or maybe it is just subjective opinions.... i dunno.

Deus Ex MK is the real 4K killer if you want to whack the settings up to the max. Most other games will play happily at 4K maxed out from a 1070 upwards.

Last edited:
A bit late to the party, but a constant 30 fps is much easier on the eye than variable 40-60 fps is - it is the sudden drop in fps that is most noticeable. So, if you are playing a game that is constantly dropping 20/30 frames, then use vsync to lock the framerate. Will overall be a much smoother experience (in my personal opinion).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom