• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is 3 metres too close for 42"

Jon Read

Established Member
Damn I have a headache, I have £650 to spend which only a few months ago couldn't get much at all, but now I have so much choice. Do I go for Plasma, LCD, 37", 42", etc etc. In the end I have decided on LCD due to the fact it is lighter and wont break my desk, touch wood. I am presuming 42" LCD is lighter then 42" Plasma, yes ?

Anyway, the TV will be going in a room around 20 by 15 foot, and my chair is approx 3 metres from the screen. I know 37" is ok, just, but would 42" be too big for this distance ? Mainly to play video games but also TV.

My 2 final choices are....

1. LG 42LC2DB 42" HD LCD at £615 inc del and vat
2. Philips 37PFL5522D 37" HD LCD at £592 inc del and vat

My parents have the Philips and with the correct settings it is excellent, so that choice is more one of experience and "better you know then don't". I haven't seen the LG in action, just heard about it. So if anyone in the know here would give "out of 5 stars" for each one, then what would your ratings be ? I don't want to go for a bigger size just the sake of it, I want the best SD quality and best anti-jags and anti-blur there is.

Any advice ? Much appreciated.

andrewstanners

Standard Member
Jon,

I have a 50" Sammy Plasma and and sit 10 feet away with no problems. I did consider a 42" or 46" screen but am really pleased that I went for the 50".

Hope this helps.

Andrew

jobseeker

Established Member
I would expect 42 to be fine, subject to the quality of the set and the images sent to it of course. I'm just waiting for my Toshiba 42X3030D to be delivered on Tuesday. My viewing circumstances are the same as yours, so I'd better be right. Two of my sons have 40" LCD's, also (Samsung and Sony)) and view from 3m - the picture quality is fine, you could actually sit closer with no trouble.

Rob100

Prominent Member
We sit approx 10ft from a 42" plasma (Panny PW5) and the PQ is great.

I'd want to sit about 15-20ft away if it was a LCD.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom