Is 24fps support a hardware or software function?

SATM

If a TV can accept a 1080p input,but does not currently offer a 24fps option,in order for it to do so does it require a hardware or a software modification?
My question is prompted by the fact that Toshiba will shortly offer this facility on their XE1 player by way of a firmware update.
Additionally,I wondered as to the nature of the system update(s) Panasonic are currently transmitting for their PX70/700 models.

Ruudfood

If the firmware can be updated to support 24fps then it could only be a software feature. However, only hardware can really do it so I suspect that they're working round it by using 3:2 pulldown (or whatever the term is).

Having said all that I could be way off as I'm in no way very knowledgable about AV hardware. I'm sure 1 of the experts on here will correct me if I'm wrong.

YID

seeing that Sony did a software upgrade for the Playstation 3 so that it could output 1080p/24fps would lead me to believe that it is software not hardware.

norealplan

Distinguished Member
seeing that Sony did a software upgrade for the Playstation 3 so that it could output 1080p/24fps would lead me to believe that it is software not hardware.

I know what you're saying, but if the hardware is not there in the first place, the software isn't going to be of much use.

P

Pioneer Man

It could be purely a software thing or a something that is hard wired into the hardware, but, If the screen can not do 1080P/24 then I would be 99.999% sure that it is incapable of doing it due to hardware limitations.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom