Is 24fps support a hardware or software function?

SATM

If a TV can accept a 1080p input,but does not currently offer a 24fps option,in order for it to do so does it require a hardware or a software modification?
My question is prompted by the fact that Toshiba will shortly offer this facility on their XE1 player by way of a firmware update.
Additionally,I wondered as to the nature of the system update(s) Panasonic are currently transmitting for their PX70/700 models.

Ruudfood

If the firmware can be updated to support 24fps then it could only be a software feature. However, only hardware can really do it so I suspect that they're working round it by using 3:2 pulldown (or whatever the term is).

Having said all that I could be way off as I'm in no way very knowledgable about AV hardware. I'm sure 1 of the experts on here will correct me if I'm wrong.

YID

Novice Member
seeing that Sony did a software upgrade for the Playstation 3 so that it could output 1080p/24fps would lead me to believe that it is software not hardware.

norealplan

seeing that Sony did a software upgrade for the Playstation 3 so that it could output 1080p/24fps would lead me to believe that it is software not hardware.
I know what you're saying, but if the hardware is not there in the first place, the software isn't going to be of much use.

P

Pioneer Man

It could be purely a software thing or a something that is hard wired into the hardware, but, If the screen can not do 1080P/24 then I would be 99.999% sure that it is incapable of doing it due to hardware limitations.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom