Is 20 cm height enough to fit an amp and allow sufficient ventilation?

Dr.Rock

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm moving my Denon AVR-3200W receiver from my folks' house to my own and am looking for a TV stand to put it in. The amp is 17 cm height. However, most TV stands I'm seeing nowadays have space of only 20 cm height to place the amp in, leaving only 3 cm gap above the component. Is this enough space for adequate ventilation for amp? My folks' TV stand has a space of 26 cm height for the amp which is far greater than the stands I'm seeing everywhere, but I can't find one like it. Is a few cm space above the amp enough for ventilation, or should I really look for stand that provides far more space, however difficult it is to find such a stand?

Thanks.

3cm is probably not enough if it is only open at the front, I don't have the rear of my TV cabinet attached so the ventilation is OK for me as air flows from the rear and front. Ideally you'd probably need more than that if using in a 3 sided TV cab with the back attached. Over time too much heat build up will eventually kill the receiver. If you tried it and the receiver felt really hot (feel the sides not the top) or protection cut in at any time then you'll def know it's not enough.

Hi,

I'm moving my Denon AVR-3200W receiver from my folks' house to my own and am looking for a TV stand to put it in. The amp is 17 cm height. However, most TV stands I'm seeing nowadays have space of only 20 cm height to place the amp in, leaving only 3 cm gap above the component. Is this enough space for adequate ventilation for amp? My folks' TV stand has a space of 26 cm height for the amp which is far greater than the stands I'm seeing everywhere, but I can't find one like it. Is a few cm space above the amp enough for ventilation, or should I really look for stand that provides far more space, however difficult it is to find such a stand?

Thanks.
3cm is not going to be enough IMO. Have you looked at the IKEA Besta TV cabinets? The Besta range is very configurable and will easily provide enough height for ventilation.

Denons run hot and an inadequate ventilation, certainly 3cm, will lead to safety shut downs on a fairly regular bais.

Agree that 3cm is too little air flow, however if adding fans to pump out the heat then it should be fine. I have a Denon receiver in a Besta unit with only a little more space, but I have AC Infinity fans - more details in this thread

Mark.

I always say 4cm is an absolute minimum for any AV Receiver and anymore is a bonus. I know if you've seen any of our furniture which takes your fancy, you should contact the team via the phone to see what's available and if any AVForums discounts deals can be had :smashin:

I use the AC infinity T8 with rear exhaust to keep my Denon cool, i purchased it through Amazon.com , im sure it arrived within 5 working days via UPS so the wait time wasn't too long.

IMG_4461.jpg

I have a preamp, a 7channel, and 5 channel amp, and cool them with a domestic fan, not pretty, but it works.

We use an AC Infinity AIRCOM S9 on top of a Marantz SR7012 receiver and is great at keeping it nice and cool. We use the setting which lets it come on only when required at a certain temperature

We had our first batch of AC-Infinity Aircom T series Units delivered a few weeks ago and 1/3 of them have gone back out now. We are pairing them with a proper UK PSU, so there is no issue with adaptors and voltages.

We hope to slowly build the range up, but mostly see the Aircom T's as the best sellers. Happy to talk through any of the range through with people if they need to.

Last edited:
I have an Aircom unit on top of my Marantz 7012 which I bought from Amazon Germany which works really well.

Agree with the comments above, my AVR has 6inch clear and an AC infinity to pull the air. When it's driving 7 speakers it can get pretty hot.

Attachments

• IMG_8869.JPG
    IMG_8869.JPG
    382.9 KB · Views: 323
Aircom T8 on AVR-X3100.

Adjusted brightness down to best match the aging Denon display!

Attachments

• 20220318_150428.jpg
    20220318_150428.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 297
I have way more space than this round my Denon unit has a front door I leave ajar and have removed the back. It’s fine on an eco mode (sorry I know it’s av forums but I don’t notice any difference in sound between modes!) but with eco off it gets really hot so I have a couple of fans running off a usb which seems to work? Interesting comment about testing the sides of the amp not the top………

I have my avr on top of my wide cabinet. Components that don't get hot can go on the shelves.

I have way more space than this round my Denon unit has a front door I leave ajar and have removed the back. It’s fine on an eco mode (sorry I know it’s av forums but I don’t notice any difference in sound between modes!) but with eco off it gets really hot so I have a couple of fans running off a usb which seems to work? Interesting comment about testing the sides of the amp not the top………

There's stuff about ECO that may interest you here...
Thread 'Denon AVR-X3100 Amplification calculations including scope of ECO mode' Denon AVR-X3100 Amplification calculations including scope of ECO mode

My Denon X2100W is within a cabinet, the front is open and there is a large hole in the back for the cabling. I have 8cm free space on top and a little over 6cm each side. I have no heat issues.

My Marantz AVR also has just 5 cm clearance from the shelf above, and the accompanying IOTA power amp only 4 cm, but my cabinet is just a stand which is open at the sides and the back.

I think that the fact that the workload is shared between the two devices also helps - the IOTA does the base layer and the Marantz does the upfirers in a 5.2.4 configuration (I think, something like that, the IOTA does the heavy lifting anyway).

And I also use the ECO mode on the Marantz - can't hear any difference and it does reduce the power drain quite significantly.

I've played "Zelda: Breath Of The Wild" all night using my system, and though it obviously got hot, it never shut down once, probably because that heat was being dissipated effectively.

Last edited:
My Marantz AVR also has just 5 cm clearance from the shelf above, and the accompanying IOTA power amp only 4 cm, but my cabinet is just a stand which is open at the sides and the back.

I think that the fact that the workload is shared between the two devices also helps - the IOTA does the base layer and the Marantz does the upfirers in a 5.2.4 configuration (I think, something like that, the IOTA does the heavy lifting anyway).

And I also use the ECO mode on the Marantz - can't hear any difference and it does reduce the power drain quite significantly.

I've played "Zelda: Breath Of The Wild" all night using my system, and though it obviously got hot, it never shut down once, probably because that heat was being dissipated effectively.
So pleased it’s not just me that can’t hear the difference! Although I do take it off eco for a decent Blu Ray - just bought John Williams in Vienna - to make sure it’s as good as can be! Enjoy!

I had a Denon AVR-X3600H running in 7.1.4 mode with an additional stereo amp for the extra 2 channels. Last year I would hear an occasional click from the machine. I would not hear any difference in sound, just a click. I have a large oval-shaped glass stand that has no sides and about an inch and a half clearance above the Denon. Towards the end of last year, the machine just wouldn't switch on. It was luckily still in warranty and got fixed. As the repair was going to take several weeks, I looked at the upgraded Denon AVC-X6700H which supports 7.2.4 out the box.
When I placed this on the stand I noticed this too would click. I put my hand above the Denon and my god it was hot. So I looked at the AC-Infinity Aircom T10 (the exhaust is at the front). Ordered it from the UK AC infinity distributer LED GROW SHOP UK - OFFICIAL HLG LED AND AC INFINITY UK SUPPLIERS, I asked them to import it specially, as on Amazon it was over £200. They did an awesome deal all in was £160 inc VAT and Delivery.
I had to wait 6 weeks(They have said they will start to sell these, but at present, they aren't on their website yet). As the wait was quite long I just pulled my Denon forward so it overhung the stand a little to allow more airflow. It didn't click hardly at all, but it got very hot. I am also running the system in a 7.2.4 config now (got tempted by the Q Acoustics 50i Plus Cinema Pack speakers and 2 huge QB12 subwoofers and 2 extra 3010i's). Now I have the Aircom T10 my Denon never clicks and I know the machine has adequate airflow.
So the moral of this story is If your Denon (Marantz too, I am guessing) AVR occasionally clicks it is shutting down overheated circuitry, Which means you don't have adequate airflow to the machine.
It won't necessarily shut down your AVR if it gets too hot, just circuits to reduce heat. I didn't notice the speakers switch off, but I did hear the click and this eventually killed the 3600 AVR.
Hope this helps.

I had a Denon AVR-X3600H running in 7.1.4 mode with an additional stereo amp for the extra 2 channels. Last year I would hear an occasional click from the machine. I would not hear any difference in sound, just a click. I have a large oval-shaped glass stand that has no sides and about an inch and a half clearance above the Denon. Towards the end of last year, the machine just wouldn't switch on. It was luckily still in warranty and got fixed. As the repair was going to take several weeks, I looked at the upgraded Denon AVC-X6700H which supports 7.2.4 out the box.
When I placed this on the stand I noticed this too would click. I put my hand above the Denon and my god it was hot. So I looked at the AC-Infinity Aircom T10 (the exhaust is at the front). Ordered it from the UK AC infinity distributer LED GROW SHOP UK - OFFICIAL HLG LED AND AC INFINITY UK SUPPLIERS, I asked them to import it specially, as on Amazon it was over £200. They did an awesome deal all in was £160 inc VAT and Delivery.
I had to wait 6 weeks(They have said they will start to sell these, but at present, they aren't on their website yet). As the wait was quite long I just pulled my Denon forward so it overhung the stand a little to allow more airflow. It didn't click hardly at all, but it got very hot. I am also running the system in a 7.2.4 config now (got tempted by the Q Acoustics 50i Plus Cinema Pack speakers and 2 huge QB12 subwoofers and 2 extra 3010i's). Now I have the Aircom T10 my Denon never clicks and I know the machine has adequate airflow.
So the moral of this story is If your Denon (Marantz too, I am guessing) AVR occasionally clicks it is shutting down overheated circuitry, Which means you don't have adequate airflow to the machine.
It won't necessarily shut down your AVR if it gets too hot, just circuits to reduce heat. I didn't notice the speakers switch off, but I did hear the click and this eventually killed the 3600 AVR.
Hope this helps.

All Denon AVR-X models with ECO mode (which I think is all of them) make quite a loud click when they swap the transformer windings for ECO on or off. So, if you have it in ECO AUTO, you will regularly hear it click... you sure it wasn't that?

All Denon AVR-X models with ECO mode (which I think is all of them) make quite a loud click when they swap the transformer windings for ECO on or off. So, if you have it in ECO AUTO, you will regularly hear it click... you sure it wasn't that?
No, this was never in eco mode, but yes I know the click you mean. The circuit click is quieter, but not much, but different to the eco click that I was never sure it was the AVR or other kit clicking.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom