• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is 16Gb enough now with Cloud computing?

MrMav11

Prominent Member
I bought a 32Gb iPhone 5, as was £70 more than 16Gb, but tbh I don't really need as much Gb now with being on 3 unlimited data, and most stuff in cloud anyway, music (google music), iCloud backup, apps can be deleted if needed etc.

Anyone else think like this? Anyone wish they'd bought a bigger or smaller Gb? Reasons?

Cheers

PeterH988

Prominent Member
I'll probably go bigger next purchase, at least 32gb, 64 if I can afford it, I use filmic Pro for video, and when you've got that set to its highest settings, you're running at about 1gb for 3 mins of footage.

Mhoram

Established Member
I don't buy big on either Iphone or Ipad, I can't see the point. I use iTune's match and all the apps are in the cloud as you said. Netflix provide films and tv, plus iplayer.

Obviously it's horses for courses, some people may have a genuine need for lots of onboard storage, but others seem to cart round their entire music collection for reasons I don't understand and reason's I suspect they don't -other that to say their dad is bigger than your dad.

This thread will of course attract the OMG I need at least 300 petabytes on every device type people and there will be talk of resale values. I'm not convinced on the resale value, I've studied eBay many times and I see no trend to suggest that the larger storage Iphone's hold their value better than the smaller one's.

In fact the 64GB one's seem to hold less as there is less demand for it, the second hand market is full of none techies who couldn't give a fig. My wife wanted a white Iphone, I got her a 16GB 4 off eBay. She has no idea what model it is let alone what storage it has, doesn't care. Does it 'do' facebook? Does it take pictures? Does it do texting? does it say Apple on it? Sold.

MrMav11

Prominent Member
Ha ha some great quotes in above ;)

Your right. My wife wouldn't have a clue either, or the daughter. Although I'm on unlimited and have to keep a check on daughters as she only has 500Mb so got to be careful of YouTube etc.

Reason I bought 32Gb was it was "only" £70 more I bought brand new from Apple retail store at Xmas. Was £530 for a 16Gb or £600 for a 32Gb. The price between them, from the starting price seemed wise, 64Gb was a no no. Also with the actual iOS taking up quite a bit I think you only get around 11Gb spare for your own. That can get swallowed up quick. 32Gb a sweet spot I think.

eugenerudenko

Established Member
I tend to choose more capacity just to be on the safe side)) For example, for filming a lot of video and thinking about deleting previous vids.

williamus

Established Member
My music is in Apple lossless and my small-but-beautifully-formed collection adds up to about 35gb which sits happily on my 64gb iPhone 5. The big Apps that I have are eight O/S Maps of nearly 1gb each. Unless someone can tell me differently, the Cloud is of the chocolate teapot variety to me...

... don't get me wrong, the Cloud is an amazing innovation but it has its limitations.

Wingsurfer

Prominent Member
Cloud computing is all well & good, providing you have a good connection to the internet. I've just looked at the screen of my phone on my work desk & even though it is receiving a 3g signal there is only one bar. I try internet radio every so often & more often than not it will only play about 30 - 45 secs of a song before pausing to buffer. Therefore, I do need the storage, as would others who are in areas with poor connection.

Steven

Senior Moderator
I don't buy big on either Iphone or Ipad, I can't see the point. I use iTune's match and all the apps are in the cloud as you said. Netflix provide films and tv, plus iplayer.

Obviously it's horses for courses, some people may have a genuine need for lots of onboard storage, but others seem to cart round their entire music collection for reasons I don't understand and reason's I suspect they don't -other that to say their dad is bigger than your dad.
Horses for courses indeed. Apple's market research has evidently demonstrated there is a market to offer iPad in 16GB -> 128GB.

Think there are commercial and business applications with large storage space, throw in your business traveller who wants lots of shows to kill time.

Not everyone has yet bought into digital content and maintain buying disc based media for a variety of reasons (quality control, personal control, personal preference etc). It makes sense to digitise your existing collection, requiring storage space

Mhoram

Established Member
Horses for courses indeed. Apple's market research has evidently demonstrated there is a market to offer iPad in 16GB -> 128GB.

Think there are commercial and business applications with large storage space, throw in your business traveller who wants lots of shows to kill time.

Not everyone has yet bought into digital content and maintain buying disc based media for a variety of reasons (quality control, personal control, personal preference etc). It makes sense to digitise your existing collection, requiring storage space

I could tell you there is a market for 256gb without doing any market research. Some people, as I said, have a genuine need for more space but there are a lot of people out there have no need whatsoever but have to have the biggest because they like to have the biggest and like to put on forum's like this that they have the biggest. Epeen it used to be called.

My mate has a 64gb Ipad, his wife has a 64gb Ipad his, 3 year old, 5 year old and 8 year old daughters all have 64gb Ipads. They also have top of the range Iphone's and Ipod (the kids)

Not one of them has the first clue about iCloud or indeed much about the device's at all. He vaguely knows you can get 'films' on them. He owns a large building company and knows nothing about technology. But I'll guarantee when 128gb Ipad's come out their will be 5 arriving to his house.

He couldn't just have a Range Rover, he had to Overfinch it. Some people are just like that. And if you have the money why not?

But I would imagine (and I work with a lot of people with Iphone's) that smaller phone's are more than adequate for 'normal' people's use.

On your point about digitising their music collection, surely that is done on a computer (PC/Mac) not a tablet?

I aren't very sure of the thrust of your answer, whether your arguing against or reinforcing my point? I think we are in agreement on the horses for courses thing, you just seem reluctant about the Epeen type's?

I'm just one of the few people on these forums that seem to recognise 'normal' users. The default standpoint, on this forum, seems to be buy the biggest and newest, when in reality it's probably a waste of money.

I've been advising people on what to buy PC wise (I'm new to Mac) for over 20 years and my first question is always 'what are you going to use it for'. If I told everyone to go out and spend £2500 on a PC setup I'd have run out of friends pretty quickly.

Incidentally, if money was no object I would buy the top of the range in everything, but it is, so I can't :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom