• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is 14-Gauge cable suitable for a 100 watt speaker?

K

Kyle Lorenz

I only own a roll of 14-Gauge speaker cable and I need to hook up my two front bookshelf speakers which are a 100 watts each. Is 14-Gauge too big or does it even matter? Sorry if this a dumb question, I don't really know much about speaker cable. Thanks.

mr_seanstanley

yep, its fine. 14 guage is about 2mm^2 (according to google). This will take an amplifier output at 100Watts without catching fire. Cant get too big unless your bothered about the sound quality to a obsurd degree. Like me:hiya: ...

alexs2

Distinguished Member
That should do absolutely fine.....most speaker cables are well up to the job of managing the currents involved,unless you're using amps capable of 50A or more,and even then the peaks will be very short in duration.

Any good quality wire should suffice.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom