1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is 11ft room to small for PJ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rob100, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Hi,

As subject.... Is a room 11ft long too small for a PJ? Someting like a PLV-Z3, AE700, HS50 etc. I'm not interested in what projector calcs say, I'm interested in real peoples opinions. From the calcs I have done this would give a screen approx 5'5" wide whilst maintaining a 1.5 times distance from screen to screen width.

Thoughts please :D

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

2. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    It's definitely not too small. I watch a 5.5" wide picture from 11ft in my living room.

Your only problem might be finding somewhere to put the PJ.

3. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I was thinking on ceiling mount with PJ as good as against back wall? This will give approx 9'6" from front of PJ to screen? Only downside I see to this is the PJ will be above my head and I do hate background noises whiring when I'm trying to watch something...

What's your PJ? If LCD do you see SDE from that distance?

Thanks,

Rob.

4. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I currently have quite an old PJ, the Sharp NV4 (launched in 1999), and while some screen door is visible from that distance if you look for it, it's certainly not distracting.

As far as noise goes, projectors such as the Z3 can only be placed quite near the seating position AFAIK, so I guess it isn't a problem.

5. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Rob with the pj's you mention you will be fine. I have a Z2 and it is pretty much the same throw as you mention. SDE is not an issue, the fan noise is a bit of an issue on quiet scenes and only when the room is too warm and it has to go up a gear to keep itself cool.

LCDs seem to have a shorter throw than most dlps for some reason.

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    A quick edit: with my Z2 from that distance (just under 10ft for me) i could get a 7ft wide screen but settled on 6ft wide.

7. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    My Z3 is directly above my head and is almost silent in use :thumbsup:

8. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Another 'small room' enthusiast. If you check my pictures, my Sony is approx 2ft from the head, and is simply the quietest projector I have ever heard (no pun intended!)

Don't let your room size put you off :)

9. squags

squags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of getting a projector, but know nothing about them. I didn't realise they had to be that far away! I measured the distance I would have - it's 7 foot. I'll be sitting slightly to one side of the projector, so I shouldn't get in it's way. Should that work? Does the quality of the projector make such a big difference over such a small area? How big a "screen size" am I likely to get having it 7 foot away? Anyone want to give me a projector? Sorry for hi-jacking the thread!

10. Ufotone

Ufotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I have a Z3 11 ft from screen with seating 9 ft from screen and my image is 5ft wide....its very comfortable at that distance!! :thumbsup:

Tony :)

11. Neil in Bristol

Neil in Bristol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Squags: You'll get an image between 4 and 5ft across at that distance if you go for something like a Sanyo Z3. Bear in mind that the distance is measured from the lens to the screen, which is at least 1ft less than the room depth.

You'll need to be careful in your choice of model, though, as many projectors need to be further away than 7ft to get a decent size image, and some need to be a couple of feet away from the back wall for the fan to dissipate the heat.

Projectors such as the Z3 also have the advantage of a lens shift, which means the lens doesn't have to be exactly lined up with the centre of the screen.

Maximum horizontal adjustment on the Z3, IIRC, is the lens being in line with one of the the edges of the screen, but that would in turn limit the vertical adjustment available.

Whatever you decide, in a room that small make sure you've measured everything carefully and ask before you buy to make sure the projector will fit the bill.

12. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Thanks again for the replies. Basically I'm converting my garage to serve two purposes....

1) To house my assortment of computers
    2) To build dedicated home cinema room

The area I have to play with is approx 17' x 11'. If I do this all as one room then I can create a greater distance between PJ and screen. However I am tempted to keep the spaces seperate.

I'm not after the biggest screen possible. I do find myself being critical of many sources on our 42" Panny PW5, so a bigger display will give me even more reason to moan!

Another advantage of keeping the spaces seperate (and therefore a smaller cinema room) is that I wouldn't have to crank it up so loud...

Last thing I want is for the room to feel small though...

More thinking to do....

Rob.

13. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    If i were you i would keep it as one room and have an 8 foot screen and view from as far back as possible trust me you will not complain about the picture quality :)

14. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,032
    Totally agree with Tom, use the whole room for multiple purposes. Solves all your problems :)

15. squags

squags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know of any old, or really cheap models that might fit this bill..... I'm really not fussed about picture quality - at the moment, I'm watching TV on a crappy 14" TV that only pics up channels 1 and 4! and I have to move the ariel to different places to get those channels! So I'll wire a PCI card to the areal on the roof and have the output of the PC as the PJ - it doesn't need to be as sharp or bright as a cinema - it must just work in my little space and be VERY CHEAP! Ta

16. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Squags - stop hijacking my thread :devil:... Only joking m8 :D

If I keep as one room then I was working on 7ft screen viewed from approx 10ft. Too close? I need quite a bit of space behind the sofa for computers etc.

Thanks,

Rob.

17. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    10 foot away would be fine but 12 would be even better

18. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    If I start pushing the sofa back much further it causes problems with rear (side) surrounds and a doorway. Hmm...

19. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    For 7 foot wide i too would probably be looking at 12 foot. I did have a 7 foot wide screen and i was seated just under 10 foot away and found that i kept glancing left and right to fit the image into my peripheral vision, you might be okay though.
    It could be worth trying different screen sizes, by just projecting onto the wall at your seating position(s) and see what is comfortable for you.

20. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Thanks for info. I would rather have a smaller screen than have to keep looking from side to side.

I don't currently have a PJ to play with, but need to decide at this stage roughly how I want the room(s) so I can get cable ducts etc in the walls.

Rob.

21. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For cheap my ET1 might fit the bill, currently going for about 380 quid (mine was from http://www.oyyy.co.uk/product.php?xProd=2334&jssCart=4f53b84e97ef4836b00d2ef0eed06c9b ). It also has a very short throw (however there is no zoom, so no flexability in positioning). There is a brochure here with some example screen size / throw ratios - http://www.pvp.toshiba.co.uk/consumer/projectors/products.nsf/files/et1/$file/et1-B.pdf?openelement - I use mine with a 5ft screen, you should have no problem with 5ft and maybe have room for a 6ft one.

22. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I found that with my Z3 the image was too big on the opposite wall shelf (approx. 13 feet lens to screen), so I had to move it forward to about 10 feet to get the image onto my 6 feet wide screen, so your room at 11 feet ought to be fine. If I recall, the Z3 could go no closer than about 9 feet before the image was less than 6 feet wide though, so there isn't much between nearest and furthest positions (at that screen size of course).

It's a great projector though! Mine is now ceiling mounted rather than shelf, so position isn't a problem and it's quiet enough not to notice it in use.