Is 1080P worth it for my viewing distance?

steve 111

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of upgrading my Panny PT-AX100E to something like the PT-AE2000, or the Sony VPL-HW10.

Have seen some opinions though that at certain viewing distances/screen sizes its not worth the upgrade.

My viewing distance is 3.5m and screen diagonal 2.7m.

So will I see a noticable difference?

I'm thinking of upgrading my Panny PT-AX100E to something like the PT-AE2000, or the Sony VPL-HW10.

Have seen some opinions though that at certain viewing distances/screen sizes its not worth the upgrade.

My viewing distance is 3.5m and screen diagonal 2.7m.

So will I see a noticable difference?

Yes you will. More than noticeable, huge!:)

That is, as long as you watch HD content, as it's going to be painful to watch SD content once you've made the step...

Yes you will. More than noticeable, huge!:)

That is, as long as you watch HD content, as it's going to be painful to watch SD content once you've made the step...

Already am using HD content it's just 720p not 1080p. So will I notice a difference between 720p/1080i and 1080p is what I really want to know.

Already am using HD content it's just 720p not 1080p. So will I notice a difference between 720p/1080i and 1080p is what I really want to know.

It depends on your eyes. As far as I'm concerned, 720p is just barely better than PAL (576i). With full HD, even on a screen this size and especially at a short throw, it will make a huge difference with the best content (say well mastered HD movies on blu-ray). YMMV, etc...

It makes even more of a difference when watching a film in scope (much better vertical resolution).

By the way, my screen is 88" diag and I'm watching it at 3.4 meters (sometimes closer to get "imax" immersion, like when I watch TDK). I wouldn't want to watch 720P at this distance.

It depends on your eyes. As far as I'm concerned, 720p is just barely better than PAL (576i). With full HD, even on a screen this size and especially at a short throw, it will make a huge difference with the best content (say well mastered HD movies on blu-ray). YMMV, etc...

Manni, you have described it very well. When I had my 480 PJ i hooked HD content and thought wow. why should i go for HD? Then I moved on to 720 and felt - yeah it makes quite a difference and now with 1080p it is better.

At one time I was dead against upgrading to HD but after seeing the 3 stages SD, HD720p and HD1080p I am convinced why full HD is must for full HD sources.

Ani

Now that's strange, as I find the jump from SD to 720p to be the larger step.

Obviously, seating distance is a factor, as is each individual's eye sight, etc.

As ever, get a demo.

BTW, I have a 720p projector and can't see pixels/lines at 1.2 xSW unless I'm bending over backwards looking for it.

Steve W

So, now for the next question, which 1080P projector then. I've currently got the following list:-

Panasonic PT-AE2000E
Sony VPL-HW10
Infocus IN80

Any others i need to add in the sub £1500 bracket?

Now that's strange, as I find the jump from SD to 720p to be the larger step.

Obviously, seating distance is a factor, as is each individual's eye sight, etc.

As ever, get a demo.

BTW, I have a 720p projector and can't see pixels/lines at 1.2 xSW unless I'm bending over backwards looking for it.

Steve W

As Steve said, best is to get a demo with content you're familiar with, and watch from similar distance as you would do at home.

While I was waiting for my HD-750, I used an ACER dlp which could only do 1024x768. I tried to watch some blu-ray with it, and stopped. Agreed, it's not a great PJ for film in the first place, but it's just that once you have experienced full HD (I had a mitsu HC-6000 for a few months before being forced to revert to the Acer briefly), it's impossible to go back.

Anyway, the bottom line is, if you're happy with a 720P picture, there is no need to upgrade:). If you're wanting for more details, full HD won't disappoint I think, even at short throw, as long as your screen is not too small (I'd say at least 75/80" diag).

Last edited:
So, now for the next question, which 1080P projector then. I've currently got the following list:-

Panasonic PT-AE2000E
Sony VPL-HW10
Infocus IN80

I am very satisfied with the IN80 and have not seen the HW10 so won't be able to comment. There are numerous owners of HW10 and everyone is satisfied and reviews are great. I have seen the AE2000 and to me the IN80 is better. Having said that all machines you mentioned offers some advantage or disadvatange over the other and all are good in overall PQ. You need to demo and decide which qualities of each PJ appeals to you most and then take a decision.

Keep the Benq W5000 also as a contender under £1500

Panasonic PT-AE2000E
Sony VPL-HW10
Infocus IN80

As Ani says above, I think the AE2000, may be out of place here. I believe (although I haven't seen either) the AE3000 was a step up from the AE2000, and it is the AE3000 that is compared to the HW10, and IN80.

There are a lot of things to consider here though, and for everyone it is different. Things to consider include:

Flexibity of placement
Fan/Colourwheel volume/tone
Rainbows
Sharpness
Motion blur

The list could go on.....

As Ani says above, I think the AE2000, may be out of place here. I believe (although I haven't seen either) the AE3000 was a step up from the AE2000, and it is the AE3000 that is compared to the HW10, and IN80.

There are a lot of things to consider here though, and for everyone it is different. Things to consider include:

Flexibity of placement
Fan/Colourwheel volume/tone
Rainbows
Sharpness
Motion blur

The list could go on.....

Flexibility of placement is an issue for me and was just looking on Projector Central and it says my throw (4.8m) isn't ideal on a 272cm diagonal for the HW10. Also, as my wall mount sets my iris to the dead centre of my screen I think that's a problem for the IN80. The AE2000 is fine (not suprising as I am upgrading from a Panasonic) but that is sub-optimal from what i'm hearing here. Typical!!!

Flexibility of placement is an issue for me and was just looking on Projector Central and it says my throw (4.8m) isn't ideal on a 272cm diagonal for the HW10. Also, as my wall mount sets my iris to the dead centre of my screen I think that's a problem for the IN80. The AE2000 is fine (not suprising as I am upgrading from a Panasonic) but that is sub-optimal from what i'm hearing here. Typical!!!

Might be worth looking at the Epson TW2000, it has just been replaced by the TW5000, so you maybe able to get a good price on one:cool: And it think it was rated better than the Panny, and had a good amount of flexibility. Otherwise, I think they are releasing a TW2800, and TW3800, but not sure how they compare. Also the Mitsubishi HC6500 may be worth considering.

Audition them - if it looks better and you are happy at the price - buy it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom