Is 1080p oversold?

Answering that is hard.
What you would be best doing, is going to a dealer who has the current Pioneer 427 and 5000MX, and see if they can hook up Pioneer's BR player (which I imagine they should have), then you'll be able to see the difference.
Since the 427 is like all other 42's (1024x768), then you will be sacrificing more horizontal detail - 1920 pixels squeezed into 1024 (just like HD squeezes 1280) - than vertical. Research has suggested horizontal loss is less of an issue than vertical, but I know I couldn't find a suitable aspect for the movie (V for Vendetta) I brought with me a while back, on the 427.
Part of the diagonal main menu was missing.

But plenty of members here have no such complaints with their 42"ers, so it must be that I'm fussier than they are.
You're the only one who can decide which side of the fussy fence you stand behind, and seeing a few panels now like the ones suggested above will give you greater understanding and a benchmark from which you can compare and make your decision.

i the px70 doesn't do 24fps, what does that mean for bluray or hddvd pics?

i the px70 doesn't do 24fps, what does that mean for bluray or hddvd pics?

Bear in mind that there are very few blu ray or hddvd players that actually output 24fps, so you are reliant on the internal frame rate conversion of the player, sending out 50/60hz

Is the px70 a 1080i set?

What does it do to SD signals? Does the tv upscale the signal?

Will i need to set the PS3 for this tv to output 1080 or something else?

As pjskel has said, there's no such thing as a 1080i set (possibly excepting the Hitachi 9700)

All HD screens upscale SD signals, how else would they avoid having huge black borders?

You can set the PS3 to output 1080p, handling 1080i is much harder for nearly all TVs as it has to reconstruct an entire frame from the interlaced fields. How well it does this is the mark of a good TV.

Not having 24fps support (on either the PS3 or the TV) means that you get 3:2 pulldown on movies, which some people can see as visible judder on pans particularly. Note: every American DVD has been doing this for years - have you noticed?

I couldn't find a suitable aspect for the movie (V for Vendetta) I brought with me a while back, on the 427.
Part of the diagonal main menu was missing.
overscan possibly, my 1024x768 screen (via a scaler) certainly doesn't do it. How much was missing and where?

Of course!
Forgot you've the PHD8, which is commercial rather than consumer.
Most noticeable bottom left - Movie or Play it says.
Mind you, once playing, the picture looked fine. I'd ideally have needed to see the 50" beside it running the same image at the same time to see what notable difference there was.

You can set the PS3 to output 1080p, handling 1080i is much harder for nearly all TVs as it has to reconstruct an entire frame from the interlaced fields. How well it does this is the mark of a good TV.

Not having 24fps support (on either the PS3 or the TV) means that you get 3:2 pulldown on movies, which some people can see as visible judder on pans particularly. Note: every American DVD has been doing this for years - have you noticed?
Thanks choddo2006. I'm clearly still a learner with the tech side so here goes again...

What's 3:2 pull-down? A way of joining up frames?

I've checked that my viewing distance is easily 12 feet so what size screen please in respect of 768 or full hd versions?

Ta

Thanks choddo2006. I'm clearly still a learner with the tech side so here goes again...

What's 3:2 pull-down? A way of joining up frames?

I've checked that my viewing distance is easily 12 feet so what size screen please in respect of 768 or full hd versions?

Ta

Close, 3:2 is a way of splitting a cinema frame in an uneven fashion so that you get 60 interlaced fields out of 24 frames (in Europe, we just speed it up by 4% and double them)

I watch a 42" 768p screen from about 12feet and it's almost too small, but the res is fine. A 50" 1080p would be great, a 50" 768p would be very good.

Tend to agree with Choddo but would warn against 1 key fact.

At the moment 1080p is largely an LCD advantage i.e. they have 1080p screens from 40'' upwards, whereas Plasma start at 50''. If you ask the question on a Plasma forum you are likely to get a slightly biased view.

Having seen both in action there is no denying 1080p is pretty impressive but as Choddo says 768 is very good indeed. I say this as a proud owner of a Pio 427xd.

Well,

if 768 ig preety good for a 50" at 12 feet away, would you recommend i go for 50px70 or 50pz700 which is twice the price?

Are the benefits of 1080p strong enough for twice the price?

sorry also forgot to mention the pioneer 507 which seems good although i spoke to an experienced sales geek at a store and he said that the 506 was a much better screen!

The 507 looked good ish to me but wasn't showing HD picture at the time.

Well,

if 768 ig preety good for a 50" at 12 feet away, would you recommend i go for 50px70 or 50pz700 which is twice the price?

Are the benefits of 1080p strong enough for twice the price?

Depends how much money you've got. And it's not all benefits to 1080p. Scaling SD is harder with more resolution to cover.

lets say i have the 2500 to spend today or i could spend 900 squid on 42px70 and then look to upgrade again in a few years when more programming is HD?

I only have sky+ and PS3, will get hddvd when dual format player comes but i'm talking in todays world, how much HD is on offer?

sky+ is 720p and my dads 42px60 looks great with blueray via ps3

i'm going to get the 42px70 and sit it out for a year or two until these crazy people just say 4k and thats your lot :D

Sky+ is not 720p but agree with your reasoning, I'd be getting the PX70 & worrying about 1080p later. Personally.

This hasn't been posted in a while, useful chart about resolution and viewing distance. It's completely verifiable in practice. I thought it was to do with the resolution of the human eye lens, which is limited by physics of course, but Nicholas B tells me it's more to do with the resolving ability of the retina, the human image capture device only has so many rods and cones. You simply cannot see all that resolution at what we currently call normal viewing distance. Here's the chart.

Attachments

• distance_chart.jpg
    distance_chart.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 130
Ye Maw, this comes from carlton bales article i've mentioned in the other thread i have on resolution but....

i think people here advocate a greater distance from tv than carlton says.

I have about 12 feet from tv so is that a 50" or a 42" at 768 version?

The figure I often seen mentioned was 2x diagonal for HD and 3x for SD.
What THX (which is a sound standard rather than visual, other than geometry of the image on the screen) quotes is 5ft (60") for a 50" screen, so you're viewing the image at a 40º arc, but it's also only a HD image it's concerned itself with.
If you read some of the comments on that site you linked in the other thread, you'll see there's a number of interesting points debated.

Went to JL Trafford and selfridges to compare the panny x70 pioneer 42 and 507. Pannys looked well with HdDVD harry potter playing but the surround looks cheap and plasticky.

The 427 was showing hd pic from a HTPC source and this looked v.nice.
Hitachi next to it was 1080 pic and i couldn't tell the difference personally.

The 507 had xbox game on it and at 12 feet as i would sit, changing between the game and a sky+ SD feed looked really very good. In fact better than the panny 50 next to it 600 series.

Now the question is where do i find a good retailer for the best price for 507xd. Searched the forums can't see a 507 PM thread??

Cheers

In the three month's I've had my plasma not once have I sat down and watched it and wished I'd spent the extra money on a 1080P set, with the difference in price when compared to a 1080I set I don't think it's worth it, better to put the difference in money I feel into devices like the 360, PS3 and Sky HD so as to make the most of 1080I. I think the trouble is that most people think because 1080P is the cutting edge that 1080I is noticeably inferior which it's not.

dazza74 i'm beginning to calm down and appreciate the fact that 1080p is just a number to me and my eyes. I want a very sharp picture but i have seen sharp pics on the 507xd this weekend so i agree with you. 1080i is good enuf for me and many others with plasmas.

Sorry choddo2006,

forgot you were watching over my shoulder LOL. You're quite rught my friend.

Still was a sharp picture but the next thing i'll need to look for on forums is which connections for PS3, sky+ and dvd player? to get the best out of my viewing.

Cheers.

Oh and is a scaler important?

All HD screens upscale SD signals, how else would they avoid having huge black borders?

I'm a bit confused by that statement, although of course it does on the surface make sense. Why, then, was I persuaded to part with my hard earned on a Sony 5200ES receiver, largely because of its "upscaling" abilities?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom