Is 1024 x 768 HD ??

A

andyk77

Looking to buy a 42" plasma HD tv and a bit confused by the resolution specs.

I understand truly HD TV is at least 1280 x 720 (advertised as 720p)

however the panasonic 42" plasma tvs are all 1024 x 768 which is less pixels than that mentionned above and thus not technically HD.

Does this matter ? is the picture going to be noticeably different?

any help appreciated

cheers

:confused:

hornydragon

Hi and welcome
the "HD ready" spec only states a vertical res not a horizontal one, all plasma at 42" and smaller are 1024 horizontal at the moment and use none square pixels to maintian a Wide aspect (1024x768 is 4:3) but the screens are 16:9. But have no fear they will show High Definition Video and TV no problem

A

andyk77

Thanks for that,

does that mean that if you have a 1280 x 720 HD input that the picture will be distorted to fit on the 1024 x 768 screen or will it just not fill the entire screen ?

cheers

loz

andyk77 said:
Thanks for that,

does that mean that if you have a 1280 x 720 HD input that the picture will be distorted to fit on the 1024 x 768 screen or will it just not fill the entire screen ?

cheers
It won't be distorted, it will be scaled. Quite different (to me at least)
i.e it wont be squashed, but it will have lines removed

Edit: I should say "it will have information removed"

Downinja

Hornydragon nailed it, non square pixels.

It won't have lines removed at all it will show 720 lines easily as it has 768 vertical resolution.

hornydragon

actually it has columns rescaled (interpolated) to fit 1280 columns of info into 1024 columns of pixels

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom