Is 100MB p/m enough to Browse Freely on Android?

danGerMouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I've been an iphone user (3GS) for the last 2 years and whilst i do love my phone, Apple in general tend to p1ss me off and with my contract due to finish in the next month i've found myself eyeing up the shiny new Samsung Galaxy S2.

Checking my iphone, i can see that since August 23rd i've only used 523MB of data. So that's about 66MB per month. I'm usually very good at only using my home Wifi network for streaming the high bandwidth stuff, so i only ever really need to browse the web when i'm out and about.

I've been wondering if i could go for a cheap contract that only has 100MB p/m for Internet Data, given i only use on average 66MB p/m. So the real question is, will the GS2 use sustantially more data than my 3GS? I know Android supports Flash, could this alone easily push me up to over 100MB (a +50% increase)?

Is there anyone else out there using Android on a 100MB p/m contract, who browses the web freely and doesn't feel restricted?

Cheers.

With Android it does background syncs, which means backing up your phone data onto Google's servers via your registered gmail account. Not forgetting email, facebook and twitter synchronisations.

I don't think that 100mb p/m will be enough, you will be better off with a standard 500mb of data just to be on the safe side.

It's best to get the views of the other guys, but thought I would give you my advice.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jay

That could have been me asking that question as I sundered the same thing when changing from my iphone to galaxy s2 and was even using similar data amounts.
I have found myself using a lot more data and am seriously cutting down on number of syncs and browsing I do for the last few days of the month to stay under 100mbs!
I suggest getting a minimum of 500mbs as I will be upgrading to, and I'm not even a heavy user and also restrict my major downloads/streaming to my home wifi!

If you religiously use wifi for updating and downloading 100 mb may be enough, but it would be tight.

I've got a download allowance of 500mb and have only breached 450 meg once, and that was down to a 2 gig gaame download on the last day of my montlhy allowance.
You can could try and split the difference and go for a 250 gig allowance I could get by on that, but why try to just get by?
The three thing you coud do to control your useage
are :
1) wifi for downloads either your own or as a patron of an establishment with free wifi.
2) switch to another browser such as opera this uses less data.
3) Use something like 3g watchdog to monitor your data. The free program isn't perfect but good enough for me.
Depite downloading multiple gigs of data every month , 3g watchog on average shows only about 50 % of my monthly useage so far.

By trying to stick to these general rules, I can ignore them when I really feel I need to.

Last edited:
I use at least a gig browsing, market etc, with Youtube as well.

I get 2GB for £5 pm with 3, excellent value.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom