Is 100Hz worth an extra €200?

Henry_Krinkle

Established Member
Reaction score
I was looking at LCD TVs in The Sony Centre last night as I was thinking of getting one for my girlfriend for Christmas.

She currently has a 32" Sony LCD, but it's 3 years old now and only 720p. She has mentioned a few times that she would like to change her TV for one slightly bigger and Full HD.

Upon looking at the Sony's, I was drawn to their 37" models; KDL-37EX403 and KDL-37X503. Basically the only difference between them is that the 503 has 100Hz as opposed to the 403's 50Hz, but the price for that extra 50Hz is an extra €200!

My girlfriend primarily uses her TV for Blu-ray, Sky HD (I might watch the odd football match in hers, but she's not really into sports much) and downloaded HD MKV/AVI files via her Macbook.

So is the 100Hz really worth the extra money? Or, can anyone recommend a different Full HD 37" TV worth considering?

I think the 100HZ does benefit sky, but more than likely you wont be pleased by the unwanted sideffects when using it for Blu rays.

I think the 100HZ does benefit sky, but more than likely you wont be pleased by the unwanted sideffects when using it for Blu rays.

What kind of side effects?

What kind of side effects?

I'm guessing it's to do with how smoothly the motion is when using blu rays, since they use 24fps, and have to be scaled up to 100hz which can cause the picture to smear, amongst other things.

I'm not an expert, but that's my speculation.

I'm guessing it's to do with how smoothly the motion is when using blu rays, since they use 24fps, and have to be scaled up to 100hz which can cause the picture to smear, amongst other things.

I'm not an expert, but that's my speculation.

That's what I thought. Can anyone confirm this?

Bluray always looks better when displayed in its native 24fps. Artificial frames added to smooth motion (100Hz) simply look 'artificial' and ruin the 'movie look'.

Bluray always looks better when displayed in its native 24fps. Artificial frames added to smooth motion (100Hz) simply look 'artificial' and ruin the 'movie look'.

Don't the Bravia sets have 24p True Cinema mode though?

They both do. This simply means that the '100Hz' is bypassed on the EX503 when watching Bluray.

So basically the 100Hz would only be benefitting a bit of Sky HD.

I'm really failing to see how the 100Hz is good value.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom