1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is 100hz really that bad

Discussion in 'TVs' started by ace420, Jul 7, 2004.

1. ace420

ace420

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    are 100hz tv's as bad as people make out, i have just seen a demo of a sony kv26fx68 & i must say the picture looks pretty good compared to a demo of a 50hz panasonic i saw (cant remember model no), I read a review for a JVC av28x4 (100hz) in one of the magazines today and it got a favourable review compared to a review for a jvc av28r4 (50hz). i can't seem to decide between the jvc's or the sony. having 3 scarts is also a factor that draws me to these tv's.

2. cockbongo

cockbongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Having just got hold of a Sony 28fx68, i'm not that impressed by it. The sound is great - lovely bass response and stuff. But the picture is very noisy and i get a regular flickering playing and DVD thru my Pioneer 565.

Dunno whether its the 100hz affecting the picture or not, but i'm tempted to try out a 50hz to see how much "worse" it could be.

Although i don't think there *are* any 50hz 28 inch tvs with 3 scarts (2 RGB) are there?

t
    x

3. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    The problem with 50Hz vs 100Hz is that it's very subjective. Some people can't stand the slight flicker you get with 50Hz sets and so have to go for 100Hz. Some people can't stand the 100Hz side-effects, others don't notice them. It very much a down to persoanal preference.

4. artgar

artgar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find that the manufacturer's treat 50Hz sets as the poor relation and their specs are generally lower than the 100hz sets, so the consumer is being pushed towards something they might not really want for the sake of the additional specification. A good example is to look at the Panasonic range and compare scart socket specification between 50 and 100 hz sets.

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,337
    Well I find my 100hz unit is easier on the eye over longer viewing that its 50hz cousin. As GaryB says though it is entirely personal preferance, my Dad (who has a PD30 and the 50hz version of my JVC) finds interlaced 100hz signals headache inducing.

6. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apart from the problems with sideways scrolling text, I have not had any problems specifically related to 100Hz processing (I'm watching a Sony 28FX66). I think some people who complain of noisy pictures and "problems with footy" are just noticing poor sources (Sky can be VERY variable - I'm not a regular football watcher, but even I noticed during Euro 2004 that the pictures on BBC1 were noticeably better than those on ITV1). As regards cockbongo's comment about flickering on DVD playback, that shouldn't be an articfact of 100Hz - flickering is what 100Hz is supposed to fix - so that's unusual. Are you sure your new TV isn't just showing up faults elsewhere in your system? (cables, sources etc). Also, make sure you are using "Personal" picture setting and keep all settings to no more than half-way, otherwise excessive contrast particularly will accentuate even the smallest problem with the signal (and reduce the life of the tube!)

7. cockbongo

cockbongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Cheers Alan D, I kind of agree about the signal from the set top box - i do think that the quality of the picture might well be due to that. I don't have a regular ariel and haven't tried a normal analogue picture yet (i'm in a basement city flat and its a bit of bugger getting a signal) so i'll wait and see what results i get with that.

Settings-wise i've been using the Movie mode on the fx68 as it tends to smooth out the noise and bad quality edges on TV pictures but i take your point about not keeping the contrast up too high.

As for the flickering, its a horizontal flickering that only seems to bother the bottom half of the picture and its only on RGB, so i don't know if its purely a 100hx problem. Has anyone any similar problems with a Pioneer 565 using *any* DVD (not just NTSC) and is there any kind of service menu fix available?

Cos its really getting on my nerves!

t

8. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I have problems with sideways scrolling text (it seems to ripple) on my 100Hz set too. Is that a 100Hz problem? I assumed it was to do with the picture being stretched to fit the screen, or just a geometry issue.

9. ace420

ace420

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    even after all the varying comments regarding 100hz, i still seem to be swinging towards a 100hz set, the sony 28fx68 is under £500 at most places, even though the jvc av28x4 worrks out at about £60 cheaper, i'm still swaying towards the sony as i have seen some good reviews regarding the picture quality compared to the jvc. i've still got an old sony trinitron, bought 18 years ago & that still gives a great picture and is still going strong :)

10. cerat

cerat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This might sway you more. Took delivery of a AV-28R4 today. Despite being told by a JVC engineer that the R4 had Picture Tilt facility (lacking on the R25, which I returned due to a 10mm tilt), the instruction book comes with the correction that only the 32-inch models still have picture tilt. Shame, I wanted the simplicity of the in-built pro-logic surround system, but looking too long at the subtitles on BBC News 24 would leave me with a 7mm neck tilt.

11. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (for Zaichik) - sideways scrolling text is THE biggest problem for 100Hz sets - it's related to the field doubling used to create the 100Hz picture. It's not a "fault" as such because they all do it (although one or two brand new sets I believe have come up with a way round it).

12. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    100hrz tvs seem to be all different.There are various examples on this very forum that will show this. Just as an example my loewe nemos does not seem to have any juddering with 100hrz proccessing but my sony kv36fs76u did. How ever the geomatry on the sony was very good compared to some of the problems I am getting with the loewe.
    Like some one else said it does depend on what YOUR eyes can see and what you will be willing to put up with. I owned a sony 50hrz television and never noticed any flickering. Then when my 100hrz sony had to go in for reapair I bored a 50hrz tv from my work place. After being used to the sony I could then notice the flickering on the tv I had borrowed!!! :eek:
    All I can say is try and get a good demo of the tvyou wish to buy and see waht you think :)

13. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Thanks for that. That's cleared up one of the issues that I have with my 100Hz set. Luckily, it's only really noticeable with stretched 4:3 pictures. If I could just sort out the problem with vertically scrolling text wrapping around, I would be totally happy with my Panny.