Is 100" wide screen too wide for sub 4k PJ's?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by voxel, Mar 7, 2006.

1. voxel

voxel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in audio excellence a few weeks ago and was enquiring about the Infocus 7210 and the Sim2 Domino 30H. The manager asked me what screen size I was looking to use and when I said 100" wide in a room 3.4m x 5.2m he thought that was too much for PJ's of this calibre. He suggested 96" was the maximum...

I'm hoping he isn't right - does anyone agree/disagree with him? It seems a waste to have a wall in a light-tight dedicated cinema room that could house a
    screen upto 3m wide and to only put a 2.4m width screen in it.

Or am I just being greedy?

Cheers.

2. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,093
    The usual formula for screen size is screen width = 1.5-2 times distance you are sitting from the screen.Therefore if you are wanting a 100 inch screen (2.53 mtrs) you should be sitting between 3.8mtrs-5.06mtrs from the screen.

If you have a white or magnolia wall or a large white sheet suspended in front of the wall you are going to project onto, point your projector at it and see what sort of size you can get the projector to display an image that you are happy with and then buy a screen of that size.

I have a Sanyo Z1 and am happy with projecting onto a magnolia wall with a screen width of 96 inches while my seating position is only around 2 mtrs.

Its really personal choice, one person wants a larger screen and does not mind a little bit of screendoor effect another cannot stand screendoor and will sacrifice the screen size to get rid of it.

3. voxel

voxel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Keith... I'll be sitting about 4.5m away so I reckon it'd be OK. I'll try the sheet idea as you suggest just to be sure.

Thanks.

4. bob corb

bob corb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I use an Infocus 7200 firing onto an Infocus 106" 16:9 screen. I've fixed the screen onto the frame of my french windows which are just a little wider but I can then open the curtains to the perfect width to suit the screen (handy when watching 4:3 stuff). I sit exactly 4.5m back. I think its absolutely fab. I'm no expert, I dont go around comparing or anything but all my friends who come over are totally blown away. I cant imagine it getting much better without switching to a 3 chip PJ (hopefully the 7200 will last long enough for the prices to come down).

For info I bought the PJ and screen from LuzernTech on ebay for a total bargain (like half the price of the cheapest LP5700) and its been nigh on perfect, the screen has a very very minor ripple but you dont notice it usually - you'd need a tensioned screen to fix it. I wouldn't hessitate to use them again.

5. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    I would say your dealer is talking a load of nonsense if he's suggesting the pj won't produce a decent image on a screen that size! I use a Domino 30h with a 106" diagonal screen and it gives a fantastic picture. I'm quite sure the people at Sim2 and all other Sim2 owners would back this too!

I wonder if Audio Excellence have a job lot of 96" screens to unload!