1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is 1 HDMI slot enough?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by wafc, Jul 24, 2005.

1. wafc

wafc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I am looking at buying a new 26"/27" lcd tv, possibly the Samsung LE26R41BDX or maybe the Toshiba 27WL56, I'm still undecided which is best as they are both available for £599! :confused:

They both have 1 HDMI slot, if in the future I want to connect SKY HD, HD DVD player and possibly PS3 all via HD, how can this be done with only 1 HDMI slot? :confused:

Thanks

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Its never enough. I really cant understand how these TVs can cost so bloody much and all they give us is ONE conection???? :confused:

Do they honestly think thats ever going to be enough? :rolleyes:

In the end we will all have to do the same thing in buying a box/splitter or an amp with more than one conection.

3. gareth78

gareth78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    have you looked at the new Tosh's that are coming out Sept/Oct, the XXWLT58 series, the 32 and 37 versions come with 2 HDMI.

4. wafc

wafc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Sadly I dont think my budget will stretch to the 32" or 37" versions and they will probably be too big for bedroom use. :(

They do sound good though HDMI slot wise.

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Future TVs will have to come with more than one. Currently Sony's 46" LCD (Qualia) has 2.

Thats the only TV in japan with 2 conections.

Im sure other makers will catch on over time and start giving us more than one.

6. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Most HDTV sets sold in the states have 2 or more digital inputs (many have 2 HDMI, some 2 DVI, some one of each, or more). Bear in mind that in the states, HDTV STB's, PVRs, D-Theater boxes and TV's also have firewire ports (usually two) which also carry digital HDTV and sound.

That is in addition to component inputs (as many as four in some RPTVs), composite and S-Video sockets and D-sub ports.

As always, however, the rules are different for Treasure Island Britain, where (just as an example) until recently car manufacturers actually removed air-con from models bound for UK markets, which were built-in as standard nearly everywhere else, and the cars then sold for far more than equivalent models overseas. The same scripming and saving seems to be taking place here with the miserly number of connections found on UK digital displays.

As long as UK consumers are willing to pay over the odds for inferior goods, nothing will change, sadly.

Moory

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Its funny. The same seems to happen in japan. But more out of peoples lack of knowledge.

Manufacturers seem to remove options and continue to sell at a high price.

I tell you, Japan and the companies here are soooo damn greedy!

The whole country seems to be.

Quick example. In the US, if u order a coke in a restaurant, you can get free refils right?

Not in Japan! every drink you order has to be paid for. Even for something like coke!
    Too greedy for my taste.

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I believe that 1 HDMI input is sufficient. HDMI was designed not to be a point to point topology (unlike DVI/Scart etc) and that it will support more of a star arrangement with something like the AV receiver being the hub. Also, daisy chaining is also supported and, unlike SCART, external switchers can be used without any chance of degrading quality.

Right now, 1 input may appear to be a problem, but how many people have more than 1 digital video input (not including a PC)? As time goes on, this will increase but at the same time I believe that you will see an increase in equipment that will follow the hub & daisy chain topologies in addition to a decrease in the cost of the ones that offer this facility now.

-Ian

9. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +381
    Has there been a review of Sony's LED Qualia lcd. Was interested to see whether the benefits of the backlightless design were as great as had been suggested in the magazines and by Sony themselves. I know the set has a 1080 res, but does it accept 1080p60? or is it 1080i60 only like a number of other 1080 sets.

10. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I've seen the Qualia 006 - which is based on reflective SXRD, rather than transmissive, LCD - and it was stunning. It was reviewed in a number of US Home Theatre magazines over the past couple of months, and very good things were said about it.

When I saw it in NY displaying 24p source material from an HD satellite feed it looked amazing. It WAS in ideal viewing conditions though.

I've also seen the LED backlit Sony LCD flat panel - though wasn't convinced that this was a major improvement. (Colourimetry looked a bit odd - but who knows how well it was calibrated)

11. Ambient Fish

Ambient Fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    WAFC, check out the August edition of Home Cinema Choice, it has 2 HDMI/DVI switches with short reviews, the first one has 2 inputs to a single output (£180.00) and the other has 4 inputs to a single output (£300.00), both look like respectable bits of kit.

12. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    Isnt it possible for like a HDTV STB to have a HDMI in, so you can say for example put your PS3 into that STB, then with then with the controller of the STB, you can choose to watch the channels from the satellite, or play PS3, clever idea and it might work, but not sure if it is practical.

13. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Don't see why that wouldn't be possible - effectively you'd be incorporating an HDMI switch box into the receiver. However it may add a bit to the cost - so I would only expect it to appear on later models - once other HDMI sources appear (like BluRay and HD-DVD etc.) and the need for multiple inputs and switching really becomes widespread?

14. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why would you want more than one cable going into your TV???

Just get a AV Amp (with HDMI), run all of your devices into it and have a single connection from the amp to the TV.

I've heard of a Yamaha and a Denon that can do this but there there will be loads more shortly.

Some amps will convert composite, s-video and component to HDMI.

15. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229

I see where you are going with this, but I have to dissagree. You shouldnt HAVE to buy an amp or even a hub just to get conectivity.
    Makers have a duty to provide enough conections with their products.
    I already have at least 1 product that can use HDMI. Soon it will be more and more.

The way makers think isnt like "One is enough for our customers" but more "Give them one for now, when more stuff comes out give them one more so we can sell new models"

How do u daisy chain HDMI? There is no output on a sinlge HDMI cable.

16. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I see both side of the arguments, but since HDMI and HDCP all cost on a license basic then I can see the display manufacturers not wanting to pay for something that most customers at present do not require. It just makes the displays more expensive to manufacturer.

As for daisy chaining, you would need a device to have HDMI in/out and that could act as a repeater/switch. I don't thik that this topology would be that common, but possibly used on higher end equipment.

-Ian