1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is 1:1 Pixel Mapping important for console gaming?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Ozzpot, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Ozzpot

Ozzpot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decided to 99% certainty that I will be getting the JVC LT-32DS6 as my first LCD TV. I will be using it (at least until November) mainly for DVDs, Xbox gaming and watching Freeview Television, but after that I intend to do a lot of Xbox 360 gaming on it. The connections and response rate are great for this, but apparently it doesn't do 1:1 pixel mapping. I hadn't considered pixel mapping before. Is this important for HD gaming, or is it only computers that benefit from this?

I have 3 macs that I have no intention of displaying through this TV, but awesome xbox 360 gaming is absolutely essential.

2. caverncity

caverncity
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. Ozzpot

Ozzpot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm... it seems terribly, terribly complicated.

So if I were to run a game in 720p (if that is one of the options - pardon my ignorance) it would technically be better if my TV did 1:1 pixel mapping, because it would display the pixels exactly as intended, but assuming I will be running 1080i, it will need to be scaled down anyway as my TV only has resolution of 1368x768 (which is good because it is a "linear" scaling, and should preserve ratio or whatever).

I think. Is this right? Can anyone simplify matters? Has anyone played an Xbox game in HD on an LCD, 1:1 PM'd or otherwise, preferebaly both?

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    xbox 360 standard resolution will be 720p. Thats 1280x720 resolution. You can play it on whatever TV you want, and the xbox will adjust it. So if you have a 1080i only TV, you can set the Xbox 360 to output that.

Not a problem if you are looking to buy. Just buy HD ready set, thats as close to 1280x720 as possible. Many LCDs are 1366x768, but don't worry too much about that. If the TV you are thinking of happens to be exactly 1280x720 then thats a bonus.

5. Ozzpot

Ozzpot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, thanks. So the Xbox360 would upscale the graphics to 1366 x 768? Will there be any way to make it display 1280 x 720 with black borders or whatever? Or is this where the functionality of a 1:1 PM TV comes in?

Also, I have an unchipped PAL xbox which I will hook up to this TV. I expect (hope) it to look nicer on my new LCD, but is it worth buying a composite lead for it? Is this only for HD? I have heard that unchipped PAL Xboxes have HD disabled: is this true, and if so, would a component cable make any difference anyway, or is there any other way to get a nicer picture from my Xbox on my new HD TV?

6. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Personally I think the only time you really need to worry about 1:1 pixel mapping is when you use PCs. But as said above having a display that uses the native resolution that you're using will be best :) My panel is native 1280x720 so I'll be interested to see if any overscan is applied to it as per CRTs or not.

7. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Ozzpot

No need to worry. Pixel mapping is only any use if you want to attach your PC to the TV and use it as a monitor. With your XBox 360 it will display in perfect widescreen at 720p. All XBox 360 games are designed to be Widescreen 720p and component cables wil be included withh the console. Forget about 1080i - it's not as good. Though you can choose it if you really want to.

You can't run PAL XBox's in High Def. But you know what? Who cares? There are only about 4 games that support 720p and none of them are very exciting. The best you can do is just connect it via RGB Scart (i.e. with the XBox Advanced AV cable) and it'll be fine.

Come November your mind will be blown. I've been watching a WMV-HD clip of True Crime on my laptop. It's 720p and it's AMAZING. I can hardly imagine what a next gen game runing at 720p on the JVC DS6 will look like but I know it's going to be wild.

8. daxie

daxie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, that is true, but you can enable it without chipping it...

Read here:
    http://www.xboxworld.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=28489&page=1&pp=30

and, yes, it is worth it

@Ramspeed, yes, you can
    @Ramspeed, don't do it for the games, do it for the upscaling of dvds/xvid...

9. Ozzpot

Ozzpot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone!

@ Ramspeed: You are very reassuring. I will quite happily spunk £1400 on this TV now.

@ Daxie: Thanks for the link. I think I'll give it a miss and leave my Xbox alone. The only games I play a great amount on it right now are San Andreas and Pro Evo anyway. They look great through S-Video on my 32" WEGA CRT already (or they did until it blew up :( ). I'll wait 'til November to taste HD goodness.

;)