Is £31.75 a lot for VM Broadband only?

Foebane72

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I would think it is, and I've been told it is, and it's not even the fastest broadband option, and there's nothing else to pay for, so I'm thinking there's a possibility that I could negotiate a cheaper bill - is that possible?

What do you pay for VM broadband by itself?

The thing that bothers me is the cost of the phone call, especially as at one time I was sharing it with someone else, there was a major issue, he called to try and solve the problem and the call itself cost £60!

Should I negotiate or get a deal for a cheaper bill or not?

VM have a freephone number, from VM landlines. I think it's 150 or something.

I phone up VM every year to see what they can do. Last year I got a reduced Bill and TiVo box. You have to threaten to leave every year.

VM have a freephone number, from VM landlines. I think it's 150 or something.

I phone up VM every year to see what they can do. Last year I got a reduced Bill and TiVo box. You have to threaten to leave every year.

Thank you, but I only have an EE/Orange phone. It'll still cost me.

Thank you, but I only have an EE/Orange phone. It'll still cost me.

Of course, it says it clearly.

I imagine that the more services you get from VM, the cheaper things get.

I pay £29.75 for up to 60MB VM, no other services and no landline. Cheapest way I can see of getting cable broadband without a landline.

I think I pay around £70 for my internet, phone and TV. A couple of HD boxes. It's a rip off really. All I watch is the Gold hunting/nature type programmes on Discovery and Eden and the rest is streamed either via Netflix or my 'puter.

We really do pamper ourselves with all this entertainment. My wife and kids were pulling their hair out as the BB was down for 4 hours. Everything revolves around the internet.

Called them just now with the 0845 number (sorry qwerty, didn't see your post until after) and couldn't get a price reduction without downgrading, but managed to upgrade from 60mb to 100mb with a price reduction to £30! So I've gotten better value already!

I think I pay around £70 for my internet, phone and TV. A couple of HD boxes. It's a rip off really. All I watch is the Gold hunting/nature type programmes on Discovery and Eden and the rest is streamed either via Netflix or my 'puter.

We really do pamper ourselves with all this entertainment. My wife and kids were pulling their hair out as the BB was down for 4 hours. Everything revolves around the internet.

Well, that's just it. At one time, because of a cock-up in the upgrade schedule, we ended up with no broadband at all for TWO WEEKS. But then it "slowly came back" one day and my housemate (who used it a lot more) was overjoyed.

We pay £46pm for 30meg BB, landline with free calls anytime, free calls to any VM mobile and basic TV package in HD.

It really makes me laugh how people believe a cheaper deal will give them a better service/faster connection.

"IT DOES NOT WORK LIKE THAT"

You are not negotiating a TV package! You are buying transit, it costs money to supply!

When you 'negotiate' all your doing is putting yourself on a higher contented/traffic managed connection. Speeds are reportedly 'higher' but you are not actually using full throughput.

Think, motorway you can go 70mph but in reality your doing average 60mph. There is a toll road that will allow you to go 80 in a 70, why should I let you have access for less money??

Get on to the congested motorway please, let those who are willing to pay get the full clean lines.

Whenever I've upgraded my internet, I've checked the speed after upgrade and it's always bang on the maximum I am paying for.

Whenever I've upgraded my internet, I've checked the speed after upgrade and it's always bang on the maximum I am paying for.

When I went to buy my replacement car, it looked exactly like all the other models.

It even had the same speedometer.

(Sorry)=..

No need to apologise.

What the hell are you talking about?

No need to apologise.

What the hell are you talking about?

I find it difficult to explain in words, more of a visual kind of guy.

What they say you get isn't actually true, it's smoke and mirrors. They are not obligated to tell you the full breakdown of where your line is routed, who with, how contended, shared with, management tools etc.

Its all about how much speed you need, how much usage you want. Work that out with how much you can afford = the superiority of the connection.

It really makes me laugh how people believe a cheaper deal will give them a better service/faster connection.
Who beleives that? When I negotiated a cheaper deal I wanted to pay less. I didn't want a better service I was happy with the service I was getting.

You are not negotiating a TV package! You are buying transit, it costs money to supply!

When you 'negotiate' all your doing is putting yourself on a higher contented/traffic managed connection. Speeds are reportedly 'higher' but you are not actually using full throughput.

Think, motorway you can go 70mph but in reality your doing average 60mph. There is a toll road that will allow you to go 80 in a 70, why should I let you have access for less money??

Get on to the congested motorway please, let those who are willing to pay get the full clean lines.
In my case I was happy travelling along a dual carriageway doing 40mph when VM gave me access to their motorway and gave me a brand new faster vehicle to boot. They upgraded me and every VM customer in the area to 30meg, I also got a new wireless superhub, set top box and they installed a new cable from my house to the junction box at the end of the street. All at no cost.

I think what BB3Lions is alluding to is you are only seeing the speedometer, so you are happy that you are going along at 120mph. What you can't detect is that you are on a rolling road travelling at 50mph in the other direction, so you are still only going along at 70mph. You also can't detect the potholes by only looking at the speedometer.

What he's saying is that there is a lot more to an internet connection than simply running speedtest.

I normally run a few tests and run them at various times.

So is BB3 saying that VM will do different types of say 30meg BB?

.......and the 30meg won't be as good if you're paying less for it than someone else.

In essence, quite possibly. If you are getting a 30Mb service but you are on the same line as 49 other 30Mbers you may not be getting as good a service as if it's shared with only 14 others.

Yes but does the cost of the broadband reflect on how many is on your exchange or whatever it is.

I can't see someone at virgin media agreeing to reduce your monthly bill whilst secretly sniggering as they bundle you with 50 houses nearby.

Yes but does the cost of the broadband reflect on how many is on your exchange or whatever it is.

I CAN see someone at virgin media agreeing to reduce your monthly bill whilst secretly sniggering as they bundle you with 50 houses nearby.

Spot on.!

And thanks IG x

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom