Is £200 enough to purchase in wall speakers?

JennyJames

Hi all.

I am happy with my 5.1 harman-kardon-hkts-7 (cnet link for specs) which i have been using for the past 7 years with the free cables that came in the box.

I have finally purchased my own property and am wondering if £200 will be enough to purchase in-wall speakers that would sound like an upgrade or if I should just hang my HKTS satellite speakers on the wall.

I will be purchasing new speaker cable and will be hiding it in the walls. Richer Sounds told me they sell some QED at £88 for a 100m roll

I really don't want to spend more than £200 on the speakers despite the fact that in wall speakers look better than the satellites hung on the wall.

So, I need advice please.

Do I stick with what I have or can you link to an in-wall set that will be an upgrade at £200?

My living room is 4.5m by 4.5m and I will have the TV in the middle of one wall.

Thanks.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
You still need to use the subwoofer from the HK package with the in-wall speakers or it will sound very anemic without bass (low frequencies) and you would then have 2.1 system VS. 5.1 system which you have now with the HKs.

hkts7_eu_service_manual_.jpg

You could also save up for some Kef T101 / T301 in white, ultra thin and modern looking. Naturally they would be wall mounted.

Do you really need 100meters? You sure it wasn´t in feet cause QED brand in-wall CL2/CL3 rated wire, 100meters for that price sounds too low.

Cheaper brand than QED speaker wire GearIT Pro Awg 14 (thickness) 250feet / 76,2meters will cost 99£. 100feet is 35£.
Amazon product

JennyJames

Yes, sorry, I probably will end up using the sub and the centre speaker.

Maybe I misunderstood about the cable price. I only need about 25 metres.

I'm really not prepared to pay an extra £600 just for speakers. I have the money, I'm just not sure that I will get a better experience. I think i'd rather just mount the HK side speakers.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Yes, sorry, I probably will end up using the sub and the centre speaker.

Maybe I misunderstood about the cable price. I only need about 25 metres.

I'm really not prepared to pay an extra £600 just for speakers. I have the money, I'm just not sure that I will get a better experience. I think i'd rather just mount the HK side speakers.

If you need 25meters the 100feet roll (30m) is fine and choose 14AWG over 16, then it will cost only 35£. So order the one below then. Over 1300 reviews and most are happy. OxygenFreeCopper and CL3 rated so good for in-wall use. You will save big bucks compared to RS wire. I assume you are changing the wires what ever you decide on the in-wall speakers so you get cleaner look?
Amazon product
I always use these when cutting the wires, if you know what you are doing you can use scissors too (gently). This has 2,5mm ready so it´s easy to remove the outer part with rounding movement (gently still). Few bucks so pocket money only.
Amazon product

If you would keep using the center channel and the surrounds, well the rest of system then i don´t see much point. Just upgrade the whole speaker system later to something modern, well at least front three should be as close as possible (same brand/same range). For movies the in-wall mains wouldn´t necessarily make enough difference cause center channel is actually putting out 60-70% of movies soundtrack so more active speaker. You can get a demo from any hifi shop for the speakers you are considering and i think that would help you give good idea is it really worth it. You can book demo time, sit down for 30-60minutes and just listen different material. Something to keep in mind..

PS. What kind of terminals the speakers have? Just trying make sure the AWG14 cable fits there. Some lifestyle speakers has these tiny spring loaded terminals which doesn´t necessarily accept thicker cable.

JennyJames

They are spring loaded, yes:
58dd345849496f2bd93ef4ce

I do have that crimping tool already, for network cables.

Do you think they will accept the awg14 cable?

How can I test?

Thanks.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
They are spring loaded, yes:
58dd345849496f2bd93ef4ce

I do have that crimping tool already, for network cables.

Do you think they will accept the awg14 cable?

How can I test?

Thanks.

Taking the speaker with you in some shop that sells speaker wire and try does it take AWG 14 or 16.

If you need to run two 12,5meter runs (one for each) then the AWG 16 should work too. I have no idea what those spring terminals take.

JennyJames

If you need 25meters the 100feet roll (30m) is fine and choose 14AWG over 16, then it will cost only 35£. So order the one below then. Over 1300 reviews and most are happy. OxygenFreeCopper and CL3 rated so good for in-wall use. You will save big bucks compared to RS wire. I assume you are changing the wires what ever you decide on the in-wall speakers so you get cleaner look?
Amazon product
Is there a difference between geatIT and gearITPro? Ebay has it for £17 14AWG Speaker Wire, GearIT Pro Series 14 AWG Gauge Speaker Wire Cable 100 Feet / | eBay

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Is there a difference between geatIT and gearITPro? Ebay has it for £17 14AWG Speaker Wire, GearIT Pro Series 14 AWG Gauge Speaker Wire Cable 100 Feet / | eBay

Yes there is. One is CCA (CopperCladAluminum) and other is OFC (OxygenFreeCopper). Pick the latter more expensive one and 16AWG will be fine for those lenghts. That is assuming 16AWG wire fits inside the terminals. You have to bring one of the small surround speakers with you to some shop that sells speaker wire. Just ask so that you can try does it fit there or take risk and order.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom