• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Irvin Kershner RIP

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Shame, looking forward to TESB on the SW blu-ray release, lets hope there is a proper dedication on there, unlike Stan Winston with alien anthology?

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Don't know much about the guy (reading the link now) other than the fact that he did direct the greatest Star Wars movie of them all so I hope his name will be remembered for a long time.

RIP.

Kieron

Distinguished Member
Sad day :(

DICKIEDUVET

Distinguished Member
Leslie, Now Irvin, What a **** day, TESB will always be Star Wars defining moment for me. RIP

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Irvin Kershner Remembered by George Lucas

"The world has lost a great director and one of the most genuine people I've had the pleasure of knowing," says Lucas. "Irvin Kershner was a true gentleman in every sense of the word. When I think of Kersh, I think of his warmth, his thoughtfulness and his talent. I knew him from USC -- I attended his lectures and he was actually on the festival panel that gave the prize to my THX short. I considered him a mentor.

"Following Star Wars, I knew one thing for sure: I didn't want to direct the second movie myself. I needed someone I could trust, someone I really admired and whose work had maturity and humor. That was Kersh all over. I didn't want Empire to turn into just another sequel, another episode in a series of space adventures. I was trying to build something, and I knew Kersh was the guy to help me do it. He brought so much to the table. I am truly grateful to him.

"He was a friend as well as a colleague. He will be missed."

BTSkersh5.jpg

BTSkersh3.jpg

BTSkersh4.jpg

BTSkersh1.jpg

Last edited:
I've always rather liked his 70's supernatural thriller The Eyes of Laura Mars which is the closest any US film ever has come to the Italian giallo genre of which I'm a fan and his comedy/drama Loving about a marriage on the brink.

Eltee

RIP Irvin - and thanks for making The Empire Strikes Back such a memorable part of my childhood cinema going experience. You should have directed them all.

BrynTeg

Distinguished Member
R.I.P. Irvin:(

brian s

Distinguished Member
No one's mentioned Never Say Never Again. It could have been so very bad but I thought it so much better than any of the Moore and Brosnan Bond films.

RIP Irvin

It was so much better than the films I mentioned but better than the original? No way!

:eek::D
Bri

I always found Thunderball to be the first dud in the Bond series. It's really rather a dull film and it's the only one of the Bond films released on Blu-ray I still haven't gotten all the way through. Never Say Never Again isn't a great film, but it's a lot more lively and it doesn't make you sit through a interminable underwater battle at the end where you can't tell who is who.

....and The Spy Who Loved Me is my fave Bond film. :p

brian s

Distinguished Member
I always found Thunderball to be the first dud in the Bond series. It's really rather a dull film and it's the only one of the Bond films released on Blu-ray I still haven't gotten all the way through. Never Say Never Again isn't a great film, but it's a lot more lively and it doesn't make you sit through a interminable underwater battle at the end where you can't tell who is who.

....and The Spy Who Loved Me is my fave Bond film. :p

I love the underwater battle scenes in both but Thunderball is by far the better of the two. It's a pity that both the UK Laserdisc and DVD of NSNAG were so poor.

Bri

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom