• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Irritating Outlook 2010 problem, can anyone help please?...

Chadford

Distinguished Member
I'm getting this dialogue box popping up dozens of times a day and it's getting pretty annoying, anyone know what's causing this and how I can stop it happening?...

ameg42.jpg

...on clicking on the 'error send/receive' within Outlook...

33a6ts4.jpg

I have checked my email account settings with BT and they're correct. BT Seem to think that it's a problem with Microsoft's servers, I'm not convinced.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

:)

SUMMONER

I would agree with them, it looks like a problem with the mail server. Probably BT's mail servers struggling with the amount of people that are checking their emails all at the same time.

Chadford

Distinguished Member
I would agree with them, it looks like a problem with the mail server. Probably BT's mail servers struggling with the amount of people that are checking their emails all at the same time.

It does feel like a BT mail server problem, but if I'm having this issue surely many other BT broadband customers are having the same problem?

The BT support guy thought it was a problem with 'Microsoft's servers' (because I use Outlook). I don't understand why (just because I use Outlook) that my emails go anywhere near Microsoft's servers.

Confused. :confused:

basilmalaise

Standard Member
I get that a lot. Do you have any other devices or PC's checking your email such as iPad, smartphone etc? I found the problem goes away if you turn off (completely off) any other devices. BT's servers don't like it when two devices are trying to sync to the same account. Don't have an answer (apart from changing the frequency your devices fetch email), but I think that is the problem.

SUMMONER

It does feel like a BT mail server problem, but if I'm having this issue surely many other BT broadband customers are having the same problem?

The BT support guy thought it was a problem with 'Microsoft's servers' (because I use Outlook). I don't understand why (just because I use Outlook) that my emails go anywhere near Microsoft's servers.

Confused. :confused:
I suppose he was talking about Microsoft's Email Server software, installed on BT's Mail server. Better yet he had no clue what to say/do and was just trying to get you off the phone so could go back to playing Solitaire.

I suggest to you what I suggest to all my customers: Get a Google Apps Free account, get your own domain name and have your old email address forwarded to it. Costs < £10 per year for the first 10 user accounts. Slowly phase out your old BT email address, using your new and flashy [email protected]/.com or similar instead. Next time you change ISP you don't have to change email address as well. :smashin:

Last edited:

John

I get it occasionally with 1&1. It goes away eventually

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
I suppose he was talking about Microsoft's Email Server software, installed on BT's Mail server. Better yet he had no clue what to say/do and was just trying to get you off the phone so could go back to playing Solitaire.

I suggest to you what I suggest to all my customers: Get a Google Apps Free account, get your own domain name and have your old email address forwarded to it. Costs < £10 per year for the first 10 user accounts. Slowly phase out your old BT email address, using your new and flashy [email protected]/.com or similar instead. Next time you change ISP you don't have to change email address as well. :smashin:
Or just do it with a Gmail account. My mum uses her BT Internet address and it seemed that every so often the POP3 settings would change for the fun of it so now the emails are just set to auto-forward to the Gmail and that's where Thunderbird grabs them from.

TeeDoubleUDee

My wife and I both use Outlook at home and have been getting this frequently on our BT mail accounts for quite a while now. Sometimes a manual "send/receive" works straight after - really weird (but VERY frustrating :mad:). we are using Outlook 2003 on Win 7 machines.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom