Irritating Bluetooth!

dan5001

Novice Member
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this question belongs in here or in the Tech form but I'm sure that you'll help me out if I've got it wrong.

I'm wondering if anyone can help with a very annoying issue that I have surrounding Bluetooth and being able to independently control the volume of any audio device with the 'phone that I'm streaming music from.

Let me explain.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S9+ (Android 9) which, when connected to any Bluetooth device, be it my Bose portable speaker, my Cambridge Audio micro system, the Esinkin Bluetooth receiver that I bought from Amazon a few weeks ago that's connected to my Yamaha amp, or indeed any other Bluetooth device, capable of producing sound, allows me to control the audio volume independently of the device that is producing the sound. For example, I can connect the S9+ to my Cambridge Audio micro system and once I've turned the volume up on the micro system, I can close the cabinet that it's in and simply use the S9+'s volume switch, which is controlling the Cambridge system, not the 'phone's volume, to increase or decrease the volume as required.

This is perfect for me as it effectivley functions as a remote control that doesn't need line-of-sight, which I don't have because the cabinet is solid wood, so blocks this.

However, I have just taken receipt of my new Samsung Galaxy S20+ (Android 11) and this doesn't perform in the same way at all, which is really irritating!

What this 'phone does once it's connected is pretty much nothing at all. If I turn the volume all the way down, the audio will mute but once I've turned it up even a single 'notch', there is no further increase in the volume from that first 'notch' until the last, so it doesn't matter how far up I turn it, the volume being produced by the Cambridge system doesn't change!!

I've tried reseaching this online to see if there's a setting that I can change, a button that needs to be clicked, or anything else I can do but to no avail. I've tried all sorts of things, even enabling the Developer Options tab on the 'phones, which then allowed me to switch 'Absolute Bluetooth Volume' on/off but nothing has worked. I was fairly sure that the latter wouldn't make any difference because the Developer Options had never been enabled on the S9+, so I knew that that wasn't the difference but I'll try anything to get this S20+ to function in the same way.

My feeling is that it's going to be some sort of Bluetooth certification issue, in that something has changed since the S9+ was manufactured that has disallowed control of external devices via the 'phone's volume switch. This feeling is also partly driven by the fact that for the last year, the S9+ has been pestering me to update it but I have persistenly denied it permission to do so, knowing that it would likely upset something that I liked.

I'll be so disappointed if this is the case because it'll mean that I can't use the S20+ in the same way, which will just be a pain in the backside because I'll have to walk across the room to the cabinet every time I want to change the volume because the Cambridge system inside can't be controlled by it's own remote as the cabinet door is solid wood, so blocks any line-of-sight access.

Apologies for the long post but I figured that you'd need a bit of detail if you were going to help.

Thanks in advance :)

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I don't have one but I thought Android phones had a separate “Media” volume control?

dan5001

Novice Member
Hi JayCee,

They do but I think that it's that that I'm talking about, as opposed to, for example, System Volume, Notification Volume, etcetera. When the S9+ is connected to a device, I think that it's the Media Volume control that then adjusts the volume of the device.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Can you post a screen capture from each smartphone to show what they are doing

dan5001

Novice Member
Hi Steven,

I'll give it a go later today. A short video will probably be better because you'll be able to hear what I mean too.

Thanks for the reply :)

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom