Irritated with YAMJ-any alternatives?

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gurus,

A while back I had an issue with YAMJ, where (following an update) a lot of the sorting went awry.

Essentially, where I had certain films 'grouped', YAMJ decided to change that.

For example, I had a set of Steven Seagal films prefixed [SET Steven Seagal] film.name.year.mkv and all was good, they appeared on the Moviewall alphabetically under "S". :thumbsup:

However, after the last update, they now appear under "A" in the in the Moviewall, as one of the films is called "Above the Law".

It's also done these for a couple of others, but not all of the grouped films for some reason. :confused:

There's also a couple of others that will not show up on the Moviewall for love nor money. :mad:

Wallander is one of those: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wallander-Series-Blu-ray-Region-Free/dp/B002YZ7GLK

I have a folder called "Wallander" with 2 folders in it, entitled "Season 1" & "Season 2"
and in the respective folders are the 3 episodes for each series in the following format (copied & pasted from the actual file):

wallander.2008.s01e01

I also have an NFO in there entitled "wallander.2008.s01e01" with the following link in it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1178618/

Will it show up in YAMJ? No, of course it won't. :suicide:

Anyway, I'd like opinions on alternatives that are out there and that you nice folks may be using.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

[Edit] - I should have said that I currently use a Popcorn Hour A200, to access media stored on A) it's internal HDD and B) a Windows network share on a server in the garage.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Go into the jukebox inside the Popcorn and delete all xml and picture files associated with the films/tv series you are having problems with. Update YAMJ to the latest snapshot and then rescan.

Go into the jukebox inside the Popcorn and delete all xml and picture files associated with the films/tv series you are having problems with. Update YAMJ to the latest snapshot and then rescan.

I *think* I tried that initially, but I'll grab the latest version of YAMJ and give it a go anyway.

Thanks.

Christ, I remember that palaver. Just one more reason not to go popcorn hour. yadis or zappiti are much more user friendly (Dune) than the laborious and inconsistent yamj.

Yes you will notice it has it as Wallander (UK) so you need to name it Wallander (UK) tvdb api is strange like that

Christ, I remember that palaver. Just one more reason not to go popcorn hour. yadis or zappiti are much more user friendly (Dune) than the laborious and inconsistent yamj.

If you cant handle yamj dont knock it. Yamj is the most flexible jukebox software out there while also it works with pch/dune/mede8er/playon/extreamer.

While its not for everyone its no fault of the program that you cant use it to its full capabilities or have issues with it. Yamj can be to advanced for some users like yadis and zappitti can be not advanced enough

imdb/moviedb/tvdb/rotten/tvrage/anidb/Kinopoisk/MovieMeter/filmweb/allocine. and that is where some of peoples issues come into play, different plugins react differently to how a movie/tv series is named. Like his issue with wallander, you will find the same thing if you have the BBC life docu as tvdb names it BBC life (2009) and this is not the software fault for not finding it tvdb api is very specific in its name search.

Also a note if you are trying it right now tvdb api is down

Last edited:
If you cant handle yamj dont knock it. Yamj is the most flexible jukebox software out there while also it works with pch/dune/mede8er/playon/extreamer.

While its not for everyone its no fault of the program that you cant use it to its full capabilities or have issues with it. Yamj can be to advanced for some users like yadis and zappitti can be not advanced enough

If you switched off patronising mode for a minute and actually looked at my history on the forums, you'll see that I've used YAMJ for many years and provided a full install pack for AVF members. I know how to use it, I can "handle" it...but it's a royal pain in the arse and there are better solutions out there (imho).

If you switched off patronising mode for a minute and actually looked at my history on the forums, you'll see that I've used YAMJ for many years and provided a full install pack for AVF members. I know how to use it, I can "handle" it...but it's a royal pain in the arse and there are better solutions out there (imho).

Sorry if it came off wrong, Mostly used to the fly bys that try yamj for 10 minutes and are to confused. once you get yamj setup it should be touch and forget as long as you keep the same name scheme for your whole collection.

Sorry, I still don't follow. :blush:

What should the file name be? wallander.uk.2008.s01e01.mkv?

There is two ways to do this. if all your files are named wallander.2008.S01e01.mkv and so on you can just drop an nfo file inside the episode one folder name it wallander.2008.S01e01.nfo and just put this line inside http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=83925&lid=11

and it will make sure to scrap that show using that tvdb series as long as they are all named alike. If you do want to rename them then do Wallander.(uk).2008.s01e01.mkv TVDB even accounts for the special characters inside the name through the api.

A good example of tvdb pickyness is shows like law & order franklin & bash. From the website search you can type in franklin and bash and it will find the right show but from the API it will not find the right show.

Last edited:
Yamj is way better than yardis and co. yamj does not require me to put each and every film in its own seperate. Absolutely ridiculous!

I know of no other software that allows me to display a 44 film thumbnail movie wall on a 16:9 screen.

I am definitely going to try the SET command so that I can group my James Bond films together.

The best advce I can give for scraper programs is to name the films EXACTLY as they are named on imdb/tv database.

halfelite said:
Sorry if it came off wrong, Mostly used to the fly bys that try yamj for 10 minutes and are to confused. once you get yamj setup it should be touch and forget as long as you keep the same name scheme for your whole collection.

Mines been fine for the 2 or 3 years I've had it. My issues only started with a recent update.

Nope. Keep the wallander in their folders and delete the NFO file for now and name one episode as what I have written. Do a scan and check the result. If it works, then do it for the rest.

saguk1234 said:
Nope. Keep the wallander in their folders and delete the NFO file for now and name one episode as what I have written. Do a scan and check the result. If it works, then do it for the rest.

Didn't work. :(

image-3922683997.png

Try Wallander (UK) s01e01 sidetracked. Without 2008! And delete the generated XML and pictures films.

Last edited:
+1 for Zappiti. Very easy to create groups.
Agree, but as Azzin has a PCH and not a Dune Zappiti isn't an option for him.

Mark.

Yamj is way better than yardis and co. yamj does not require me to put each and every film in its own seperate. Absolutely ridiculous!

I know of no other software that allows me to display a 44 film thumbnail movie wall on a 16:9 screen.

I am definitely going to try the SET command so that I can group my James Bond films together.

The best advce I can give for scraper programs is to name the films EXACTLY as they are named on imdb/tv database.

Yadis never needed to have each file in its folder. You can use it with all files mixed (except true turned of course). You can set it to display 240 thumbnails on your wall if you want (if you use yamj then doing this with yadis XML should be easy). And doing a group of movies can be done in one mouse click.

Yamj is very good for a very small portion of users that want something easy to run in one click but incredibly complicated to set up and tweak (I'm pretty sure that most yamj users are using it because they can't use something else, not because they like it). Thinking that yamj is the best tool is being completely unaware about the competition (at least outside of pch) or having a computer engineer degree...

Zappiti doesn't require each film to be in its own folder either.

Zappiti is more locked down with the video wall layout available. But HDLand do now have their market place so more layouts should become available.

I agree with Mr Eric that Yamj is not an easy to install and configure program. I set it up for a friends PCH a year or so back, but only with the help of several threads on this forum. But if I wasn't a member here I likely would have had a lot more trouble with it.

Mark.

I have actually tried them all and I prefer YAMJ. The Y2M and another one which I can't remember required that each film be in it own folder. I know because I was told to do it and I didn't want to!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom