1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Irreversable

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Shoka, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Just finished watching this and all I have to say is what the fudge????

The film was extremly hard to follow spoilereven though it was shot in reverse I still couldnt follow it and apart from an excuse to just chuck a brutal reape scen in a film I didnt see the point of it. This film has been hyped and I thought it would actually go somewhere but I realy thought it was naff.:thumbsdow

Anyone else seen it? any other opinions?

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Shoka,

I wouldn't risk asking anyone for their opinions on this film, because the last time someone did this, and I responded, I was made out to be some kind of sick weirdo, just because I thought that the issue of rape was dealt with in a rather poor way.

I agree, the film is dire, and like I said, I didn't personally think that any film could show rape to be as nasty and graphic as it probably is in real life. However, it appears I am in the minority.

Be warned... ;)

Pooch

3. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Although the film is based around rape I dont see that you or I for that matter are sick for owning it. Take straw dogs for instance the one thing that most people remember that film for is the Infamous rape scene.

With regards to Irreversable, did you see a plot or am I right in saying the only point of the film was to get a very graphic rape scene in a movie?

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Shoka,

Despite all the crititcally acclaimed reviews, I found the film to be absolutely dire in almost every respect. The film was badly written, the acting was awful, the dialogue inane. The photography wasn't exactly great either, and the rape scene rather pointless. Nine minutes?! Did it hammer home to me that rape is nasty? No! I already know that rape is nasty, and vicious, and prolonged, and uncomfortable, and sick, and depraved, and brutal, and repugnant, etc, etc, etc!

The fire-hydrant-in-the-face scene? Rubbish! You can barely see anything, and the sound effects are more disturbing than anything you see.

All-in-all, a terrible film! I loved Noe's "Carne" and "Seul Contre Tous", but "Irreversible" was just outright horse dung!

Pooch

5. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    The sound effects were annoying, I dont even know how to explain that noise, but Im sure you know what Im going on about?

6. adieacc

adieacc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that the first 20 mins with the in, out shake it all about camera angles, in and out of focus and the Lynch sound track in the background made for the worst start to a film, it just made me want to hate the film, not become engrossed. Then the story in reverse just has no real purpose. Had to admit i turned off after the party scene, just could not care less how it started.

7. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Talk about missing the point completely!

A blatant misrepresentation of the reason you were taken to task Pooch. Members can search for the relevant Irreversible thread and see for themselves.

There are several but the one in question is the thread entitled "Irreversible" with thread started by "Rosemanbridge".

8. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ever thought that might have been intentional?

9. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    agree about the film!!,not as good as i'd thought it was going to be.
    But how much more voilence do you want to see?you clearly see the attackers face being battered!!:eek: :eek: (very good s.e)
    Every time he hits him his face is disapering-ouch!!
    I'd be surprised if youll find a more graphic scene
    still just my opinion:laugh: :laugh:

10. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Not just your opinion mate - extremely graphic. And doubly shocking given it's context. You ask a valid question (and one I'd asked of PoochJD on another thread, but didn't receive an answer to) - just how much more violent does it have to be?

Either the eyes or the AV setup needs adjusting...

11. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    After reading this thread i thought i had better rent this film from my local shop.:eek: I did not like the film because the rape scene was far too graphic and left me feeling sick for far too long afterwards!Do we really need to see such sick things happening on any film?How many times did that guy try sucking off the fire hydrant :rotfl:

Not for the faint hearted(me) :)

12. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I certainly think the film is over rated and the rape scene unnecessarily long. However, I thought it was ok overall.