Irrational Behaviour - Developing Bioshock Infinite - article discussion

Never liked infiete :thumbsdow Bio 1 was much better than the pastell pink sky city.

I've just recently played through BioShock Infinite after it became available on Playstation Plus and I thought it was superb. The attention to detail in regards to the story, graphics and audio (even on the ageing PS3) are a testament to the talents of all the members of the team that worked on the game and I hope they find work again in the games industry soon.

I work as a software developer myself and I find it's often tricky managing technical projects with a handful of developers so I can only imagine how complex the process becomes when the project is run by someone like Levine with creative freedom and you are dealing with 100+ staff.

...and I hate to nit pick James but who is Kideo Kojima :)

Last edited:
Bioshock Infinite was very poor in terms of interaction and meshing the story with the gameplay.

It felt like a pretty poor FPS with some fantastic artwork and art design, atrocious level design (we're talking serious sam atrocious in many parts)

That's about it really, I'm being subjective here, if you took the level design birds eye view of mos the game, you'd see it was incredibly poor.

I'm referring to the meat and bones of the game here.

It's inferior to games 16-17 years old like even the original Half-Life in all ways that aren't graphics.

I can see the point of having an editor/man in a suit telling individuals when to stop - but would we really have had any masterpieces, inventions, quests and discoveries over the last several hundred years if that was the case??

Most of what we treasure is the work of one or two insane individuals from out past who didn't know when to quit ...

What, Sephiro, you haven't heard of Kojima's lesser known brother? Ta for that, completely missed it. Typo fixed.

As for the creation of masterpieces, davidcrofter, I agree that individuals pushing boundaries have driven makind in the past but when you have a responsibility to the livelihood of a couple of hundred others there needs to be a certain level of accountability. The same is no doubt true at NASA and medical research centers all of the world as they push boundaries.

I think this is where indie games can show far more risk and adventure as they know how far they can push themselves and be far more aware of the balance between finance and art.

It felt like a pretty poor FPS with some fantastic artwork and art design, atrocious level design (we're talking serious sam atrocious in many parts)

It's inferior to games 16-17 years old like even the original Half-Life in all ways that aren't graphics.
Wow a comparison to Serious Sam that's pretty harsh - I'm not saying that I thought it was a revolutionary FPS game in terms of the combat mechanics or level design, however the atmosphere, characters and the narrative they created was far more compelling than the usual FPS drivel.

As for being inferior to games 16-17 years old I'd happily take the original Quake or UT over any iteration of COD (or BF3+) in terms of multiplayer mechanics myself so it's not like Bioshock Infinite is alone in not moving things on much.

The artwork and feel really was something good, well brilliant even. I'll admit Serious Sam was a bit of a nasty comparison but I think a fair one, it's certainly in that league - very keep going forward and scripted for the most part. I know other games are heavily scripted too and keep going forward, forward like COD campaigns, but with them - they're name is already dirt and I think the action and FPS gameplay is a level up which counteracts it largely.

Maybe it's because the artwork related is so good that the disconnect is so high, with the static interaction.
I thoroughly enjoyed it, and it left a reasonably lasting impression - not like the first one, but they really are quite different games if we're honest.

Heyho :) Just think it's a bit over rated I suppose in the overall package...or maybe it isn't if judged relatively, hard to say, even as typing change my view for the positive, but then suddenly feel bitter again at all the static missed opportunities :/

Take it as just another perspective or rant I suppose.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom