Iron Man 2 - Blu-ray/DVD Combo

irascian

Banned
I think it's a shame that so many threads on these forums are just full of endless "My copy has despatched" or "I've ordered xxx" or "my copy has arrived" noise rather than any real signal :-(

Anyway, just watched this film on Blu-Ray, having avoided it at the cinema because I thought the first film turned into a mess at the end with all that Tranformers-style mindless nonsense, and the reviews of this indicated it was inferior. I was a huge fan of the original comic book series but the first film didn't do it justice because of the sloppy, long drawn-out Transformers battle and the way Bridges character just turned into an even more cartoony "evil" charicature than the worst comic-book villain.

I'm surprised that the reviews of "Iron Man 2" (and average imdb score) indicate this is an inferior retread of the first film as I actually thought it was far more consistent, making for a slightly better film as a result.

I didn't like them changing the actor who played Rhodey from Terrence Howard to Don Cheadle just because they thought he was too expensive (the first film cost USD140 and made over USD600 million BEFORE DVD and Blu-Ray sales, how much money do those greedy bastards at Marvel need to make to pay actors what they're worth?!). Also too much Happy Hogan (ego trip for the director?) and not enough Pepper Potts, but otherwise good. Most importantly the writing was pretty good, the story believable and the acting from newcomer villains was excellent.

I think they need to give the third film to a new director to see if he can deliver the best Iron Man film of all. More emotion (through Potts/Stark) is needed to lift this above the average superhero flick.

Since folk here seem more interested in the packaging than in the content, my copy from HMV Online arrived as the "standard sized" (not slim) Blu-Ray case. I would describe the packaging as mediocre (third rate even) but thankfully the quality of the Blu-Ray is excellent and the extra's are substantial, although the green screen used for all the talking head extra's in the "Making of" is really amateur. I have an amateur green-screen set-up and can shoot interviews without people having green highlights around the outlines! On the plus side there's no annoying adverts or really bad You-Tube quality ads for Snickers or Mars products before you actually get to the main menu - always a plus in my view, and somewhat surprising since Marvel have got a reputation for being even more money-grabbing than mainstream Hollywood.

Oh, and my copy despatched from HMV on Wednesday and was delivered this morning :devil:

Last edited:

MAX1210

Got my IM1&2 twin pack from play delivered to work this morning, both copies normal 'fat' cases. However I missed the fact that IM1 was the 1-disc version :facepalm:

So I swapped it for the 2-disc ultimate edition we have for demo in the shop :smashin:

MAX1210

Abaddon

Standard Member
So how many easter eggs have people found so far?

I've currently found:
Shield Classified Videos from the 60s/70s on the Ten Rings and something to do with Captain America being frozen in their dossier files in the Shield bit on Disc 1

The Thor making of footage for the ending scene and a few extra unseen bits and some interviews with Kenneth Brannagh and J Michael Stranysky. Its on the making of menu (The long run in 4 segments, not the featurettes), go to the last option and push right

Supposedly, theres meant to be trailers for both Thor (hopefully the 5 minute long in HD thats currently on Youtube) and Captain America somewhere, but with the Shield Files being BD Live, they could be added later.

rebel_scum

Distinguished Member
Normally people are complaining about fat cases, what the deuce? The end of the world, cats and dogs living together... :rotfl:

Hey, my copy of Iron Man consists of the US discs in the UK fat case and my Iron Man 2 is the US release in a slim case, with slipcase. OCD kicking in yet? ;)

Last edited:

Tequila Sunset

Normally people are complaining about fat cases, what the deuce? The end of the world, cats and dogs living together... :rotfl:

Hey, my copy of Iron Man consists of the US discs in the UK fat case and my Iron Man 2 is the US release in a slim case, with slipcase. OCD kicking in yet? ;)

eugh freak

Tequila Sunset

yeah and dribbling with a bottle of jack daniels, surrounded by fat blu ray cases.......help....me

Doctor Hades

I was surprised to find this BD comes in a U.S. like slimline case (from Play.com), that must be a first for a U.K. release?

Anyway, I watched this on Saturday night and found the first two-thirds of the movie to be a bit of a mess to be frank. There wasn't much in the way of action apart from the superb Monaco setpiece and the movie only really picked up in the last superb 30-40 minutes. It definitely wasn't as good as the first IMO and I kept wanting to give Tony Stark a big kick up the backside for mopping around for much of the movie! Robert Downey Junior was excellent thoughout though, I just think the script and the bland, underdeveloped bad guy let the film down.

irascian

Banned
I was surprised to find this BD comes in a U.S. like slimline case (from Play.com), that must be a first for a U.K. release?

No. I have quite a few UK releases in slimline cases, especially those issued in the first few months of launch.

My guess is that because Iron Man 2 is such a high profile release they had to use multiple suppliers for the Blu-Ray case and so we've ended up with some folk getting fat cases and some getting thin.

As I indicated earlier, I'm surprised at how tacky the packaging (cover artwork) is, and the quality of the green screen work on the "Making of" also points to this release being somewhat rushed to make as much money as possible with an early pre-Xmas launch, rather than attempting to get the best possible product on the shelves :-(

Doctor Hades

No. I have quite a few UK releases in slimline cases, especially those issued in the first few months of launch.

Well, I've always pre-ordered my BDs for release date, usually from Play.com but sometimes Amazon (for boxsets), and this is the first U.K. BD I've ever had in a slimline case... as far as I can remember anyway. I have over 400 BDs too, the majority of them are from the U.K. but all my other slimlines are U.S. BDs.

irascian

Banned
Well, I've always pre-ordered my BDs for release date, usually from Play.com but sometimes Amazon (for boxsets), and this is the first U.K. BD I've ever had in a slimline case... as far as I can remember anyway. I have over 400 BDs too, the majority of them are from the U.K. but all my other slimlines are U.S. BDs.

My UK slimline cases include:

Zulu
The Company of Wolves
Copying Beethoven
Capricorn One
The Ipcress File
etc.

Actually it looks like any title from ITV comes in a slimline case.

Beetlejuice

Distinguished Member
My UK slimline cases include:

Zulu
The Company of Wolves
Copying Beethoven
Capricorn One
The Ipcress File
etc.

Actually it looks like any title from ITV comes in a slimline case.

I think the only title I have in a slimcase from the UK is 30 Days of Night, but then again my collection is tiny compared to yours :laugh:

irascian

Banned
I think the only title I have in a slimcase from the UK is 30 Days of Night, but then again my collection is tiny compared to yours :laugh:

When the Blu-Ray format first launched some companies seemed to (like me) prefer the US slimline cases so ignored the general edict that UK cases should be fat. More recently that practice (aside from ITV titles) seems to have gone away, although all Eureka's titles are issued as slimlines.

A real shame as I could stack even more :clap: if they were slimline cases instead of the waste of space the fat cases are.

Last edited:

spikecast

Mine arrived from play today, slim case. Going to give it a whirl after work this evening!

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th June 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Rotel announces 60th Anniversary Diamond Series Hi-Fi duo
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland