1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iron Maiden live DVD

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dr.Rock, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I just bought the new Iron Maiden "Live In Rio" 2-disk DVD package. My complaint is on Disk-1, the concert. Bruce Dickinson's vocals seem to be totally inaudible, perhaps drained out by the crowd and instruments. The only way I can hear the lyrics is from the crowd singing along.

I wondered if anyone else has the same problem with this disk. I fond it strange that they should mix it this way, if they go thro' all the trouble of releasing it in 5.1 DTS, they might as well have made the vocals more audible. Someone suggested raising the level of the centre channel (if the vocals come out of there) but then that would mess up the settings for all the other DVD's that sound fine with my current settings.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,974
    will tell u, when i dvd arrives.

3. Nike

Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Does it contain a PCM stereo track?

I have this on CD (I assume it's the same concert) & there is a higher that usual amount of crowd noise - Look at the cover to see why!

4. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Still waiting for mine to come from www.play.com, but I have the CD & the triple vinyl picture disc of the concert and the CD sounds great..havent played the vinyl..just drool over it now & then...:D

5. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    just been on the Maiden website/chatboard & there dont seem to be many complaints about the sound of the DVD in general...maybe its a dodgy disk ?

6. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I spotted this in Virgin on Monday so bought it & cancelled my order with Play ...
    Apparently it is VAT free at Tesco - so about £13 - it was £17.99 at Virgin :eek:(
    Re the sound I didnt notice the vocals being as bad as the first poster mentioned but I tried jumping from the DTS to DD5.1 & preferred the sound of the latter ...
    No one here seems to mind the packaging of this disc which I think is pants - looks nice but couldnt they have used some better quality cardboard (I'd pefer a Double Amaray)
    Paul ;)
    PS There is a DD2.0 track on the disc for "non believers" :D

7. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Thanks for the tip about Tesco's !! Went & got mine from there yesterday & cancelled the order with play.com (Still awaiting stock), I have given it a good blast using the DTS soundtrack and have absolutely no complaints with Bruce's vocals being to quiet..in fact I think this is probably the best music concert DVD I have seen to date..I was a bit worried because of all the talk of the quick paced editing done by Steve Harris, but I think the pace of the editing is fantastic..really keeps up with the flow of the whole vibe on stage..& the soundtrack..amazing..puts my CD to shame !! :D

8. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    LDR - glad you got a cheap copy ;)
    Wish I could agree about the editing - but everyone to their own as usual in these matters - I prefer to see more of the whole set rather than jumping around like a demented cat ...
    I have just got a copy of Last Supper - Black Sabbath & it gets it spot on in respect of editing & lighting IMO but then fcuks it all up by interlacing interviews with the live music :mad:
    It appears that flashy editing is more important to some than giving the feel of what being at the concert was like ...
    Maybe I'm just getting old :confused:
    Mind you my "kids" did buy me Sabbath & Father Ted for Fathers Day so there are some advantages :D

9. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Looks like a trip to Tescos fer me too. Some of the old Maiden video's were a bit dodgey soundwise. The "Maiden England " vid (directed by Steve Harris, seventh son tour) sounded terrible, although mixed by Martin Birch. Vocals are inaudiable. The Live after death sounds great though, considering is age, stereo only of course. I'd like to see this released on DVD if they could get the sound right. I'll wait to see how this DVD sounds.

PS did anyone else make the Brixton gigs earlier this year??

Rob.

10. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Yeah, me & 'er indoors went on the 2nd night (Wednesday), and even had chance for a quick chat with Rod Smallwood :D

11. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Lucky buggers!

Yeah, I made the second night. It was great to see the band in such a small venue (for them). Good to see Clive Burr on stage at the end.

For those who don't know, Clive was the original (recording lineup) drummer. He suffers from MS, and the proceeds from the Brixton gigs and re- released Run to the hills went to his MS foundation. Top guys.

12. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    > just been on the Maiden website/chatboard & there dont seem
    > to be many complaints about the sound of the DVD in
    > general...maybe its a dodgy disk ?

I doubt mine's a dodgy disk. At the end of the day, it's all digital data, 1's and 0's, so it's coincidential that the digital data is faulty juest for the vocal channel for both DD and DTS. Worth a look into, though.

BTW - good to see there are others on here who went to the Brixton gigs. I was there on the Tuesday night, which was he extra show/opening night. Great show, it beat the ****-poor sound quality of Earl's Court! And great to have "Children Of The Damned" thrown in as the surprise oldie!

13. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,974
    Got my disc, last night, tried it DTS, no problem. However i did notice that the track listing is wrong. After about the 6th track, the chapters are one behind. ie, on the cover "Fear of the dark" is chapter14, but on the disc its 15.

14. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    It's £14-99 including delivery from Splashdvd.
    Is it on offer in Tesco shops at £13 or just on-line ?

15. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I had mine from my local store..but unfortunately for you that price(£13) was only because they had one of their VAT free weeks on at the time..

www.play247.com now have em in stock tho'...£14.99 delivered..and well worth every penny..it absolutely rocks !!

[​IMG]

16. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's great to see al you Maiden fans coming out! I thought we metallers were an extinct breed. The DTS soundtrack in the DVD sounds just like being at the gig! Any Motorhead fans out there? I have the Boneshaker DVD which has the 25th Anniversary gig (recorded at Brixton Academy, 2000) but unfortunately it's in Dolby Digital. DD just can't capture a live show as realistic as DTS, and for Motorhead DTS would've certainly suited the loudest band in the world.