Iron Maiden go Spinal Tap

Alun

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Went to the Iron Maiden gig last night at Newcastle Arena and it was rubbish

They have completely disappeared up their own jacksies.

(sort of quote) "Matter of life and Death is the greatest album we have released since number of the beast, and we'll be playing it in its entirity tonight"

Great if you like the new album (I found it hard work) or if you have nothing else to play (as if!!)

I went to say maiden belt out the classics like running free, the trooper. etc

What did they give? The new album front to back followed by fear of the dark and 2 minutes to midnight.
Very Poor:thumbsdow

Maiden's only decent album in recent years was Brave New World. I have found every other release since Fear to be pretty sub par tbh.

Mind you, that goes for most rock/metal music lately. I'm just getting so bored of it all.......... :boring:

Thats a shame if they are not going to play some of their older songs in the future. I have only seen them twice, last time was three years ago this month and both times they were excellent.

Have to agree with you there dannius...

Dance of Death was very below par, but the tour that went with it was ace.

I first saw Maiden almost 20 years ago @ Whitley Bay Ice Rink (7th tour of a 7th Tour) and have seen them a few times inbetween and each time they never failed to impress.

Worst thing is, the lad I went with had never seen them before so was even more gutted

They're playing the whole album? All the tracks?

I hope not!

They're playing the whole album? All the tracks?

I hope not!

Yip, start to finish...

Iron Maiden setlist:
Iron Maiden – Different World
Iron Maiden – These Colours Don't Run
Iron Maiden – Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
Iron Maiden – The Pilgrim
Iron Maiden – The Longest Day
Iron Maiden – Out Of The Shadows
Iron Maiden – The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
Iron Maiden – For The Greater Good of God
Iron Maiden – Lord of Light
Iron Maiden – The Legacy
PlayIron Maiden – Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden – Iron Maiden (Eddie appears on a tank)
Iron Maiden – Two Minutes to Midnight
Encore
------
PlayIron Maiden – The Evil That Men Do (Eddie appears again)
Iron Maiden – Hallowed Be Thy Name

What a crap setlist....maybe they'll mix it up at Earls Court, since they're more than one date.

I hope i haven't wasted some cash!

Oh dear, i've just been checking out some of the reviews....and erm, well they all say the same, "Why the hell are they playing the album in full?"

Crowds have been booing, shouting abuse, etc etc.

Maiden's only decent album in recent years was Brave New World. I have found every other release since Fear to be pretty sub par tbh.

Mind you, that goes for most rock/metal music lately. I'm just getting so bored of it all.......... :boring:
Read Karkus's review of Coheed et als album. Might perk you up a bit.;)

There is plenty of good stuff out there, but sadly a lot of naff as well. The stuff you see on Kerrang for example is very 'samey'.

They're back in 2008 for a summer tour with "all the 80's ****" (Bruce's words).
So I'm guessing it's going to be a sort of greatest hits tour.

:rotfl: :rotfl: All this about Iron Maiden.....going Spinal Tap......they always have been, once Brucey baby joined the throng and they did the whole Eddie thing on stage....perhaps impressive 20 years ago, although IMO the last album is not too shabby they will never be the same movers and shakers of the rock world anymore.......just too old !

Why they have to run through the gamut of golden oldies for the 'fans' is beyond me :rolleyes: The odd look back is fine or one or two absolute classic tracks, but they did not spend months putting together an album they think moves things on, to go back to doing all their old stuff.

:rotfl

Why they have to run through the gamut of golden oldies for the 'fans' is beyond me :rolleyes: The odd look back is fine or one or two absolute classic tracks, but they did not spend months putting together an album they think moves things on, to go back to doing all their old stuff.

i can see what your saying, but traditionally a band would play most of there back catalog and throw a few new ones in to test the water
I'm not that keen on iron maiden any way but i think this really off of them to do this to there fans :thumbsdow

I have heard them play their back catalogue titles live many times, so I am really looking forward to seeing them on Friday. I think its great to hear some new music from them and to hear the new album which is great IMHO. :clap:

Personaly I think it is a brave choice as they probably expected a backlash from the greatest hits brigade. These fans mainly fall into two catagories. The fans that believe that everything post Powerslave is dross and the 15 year old kids that were not there the first time around.

Tend to agree Karkus. When Floyd did the 'Wall tour' and played nothing but the 'Wall' no-one tore the house down. The opposite in fact. We were delirious! :D The only thing I would say is that perhaps Maiden should have made it clear that it was their intention to play the new album and nothing much else before the tour.

I saw them at Manchester.Agreed it was not the greatest Maiden gig ever (5th time I've seen them).But it was different.I'm not at all sorry I went and I don't think they have disappeared up there butts at all.In fact in some ways it was refreshingly different.However,if you didn't like or hadn't heard the new album you were in for a long night !!!.That said 'Fear Of The Dark' was the highlight of the set for me !!!!.:) :)

Wasn't a good chunk of Spinal Tap based on Iron Maiden? :confused:

I know some of it was based on the Black Sabbath 'Born Again' tour. Ian Gillan (the lead singer at the time) said they had a large model of Stonehenge on stage with a dwarf dressed up as the Devil scrambling around the stage...

Tend to agree Karkus. When Floyd did the 'Wall tour' and played nothing but the 'Wall' no-one tore the house down. The opposite in fact. We were delirious! :D The only thing I would say is that perhaps Maiden should have made it clear that it was their intention to play the new album and nothing much else before the tour.

Yes i agree if the band lets the fans know it's new material and that's it, fair enough , but if they don't tell the fans ,shame on them
as i said before it's usually the "job" of the gig to test the new material ,to gauge a reaction from the fans
i don't think it's right of iron maiden to say "this is the best thing we've done now listen for two hours
signs

They're back in 2008 for a summer tour with "all the 80's ****" (Bruce's words).
So I'm guessing it's going to be a sort of greatest hits tour.
As they did "The History of Iron Maiden Part 1: The Early Years" DVD and tour a few years ago, I'm sure this will coincide with "The History of Iron Maiden Part 2" DVD which should include a cleaned up remastered Live After Death and a lot of other mid to late 80s stuff (Donington '88 hopefully!)

Wasn't a good chunk of Spinal Tap based on Iron Maiden? :confused:
not really, as mentioned it was Born Again era Gillan in Sabbath, and I think a bit of Zeppelin. However Maiden did walk out of a screening thinking it had ripped the urine out of them :rotfl:

I always thought it was based partly on Judas Priest, but maybe that was just down to the design of the Spinal Tap Logo ? I think it represented all those rock bands that had 'an attitude'.

Harry Shearer (bassist Derek Smalls in Tap) was interviewed in a lads mag recently, and he says he based the look of Derek Smalls on two men - Lemmy, and the bass player from Saxon (whose name I forget).

So, Tap was at the very least a smorgasborg of Sabbath, Motorhead, Saxon and Led Zep... :D

Any more ?!

Harry Shearer (bassist Derek Smalls in Tap) was interviewed in a lads mag recently, and he says he based the look of Derek Smalls on two men - Lemmy, and the bass player from Saxon (whose name I forget).

So, Tap was at the very least a smorgasborg of Sabbath, Motorhead, Saxon and Led Zep... :D

Any more ?!
Tap was a send up of the whole cliched heavy metal image. I remember Kiss being cited as being among their inspirations, as was Sabs, Zep, Priest and Quo. The Quo bit comes with the 60's single which sounded rather suspiciously close to their pictures of matchstick men era material, and the DJ's comment that they are now an awful heavy metal band! Or words to that effect..................

Spinal Tap worked because it was funny, it sent up what were hideous cliches, and it wasn't meant to be taken too seriously. Unfortunately though, for the media who cynically tried to use the film to, and I quote, "bring down the curtain on the dated beast that is heavy rock/metal for good", the fans enjoyed the 'silly stuff' as much as the music. So it far from put them off. Worse, for the media that is, the bands themselves were/are playing it for laughs, so bar Maiden the response to the film was positive. :) Gene Simmons for example endorsed it, as did Robert Plant.

As both rock and metal if anything got stronger again after the film (it was like a purgative) seems the media failed in their hopes once more.

I actually quite like some of the tracks on Tap's last album, 'Break Like The Wind'... Some good melodies, and the lyrics are hysterical in places :D

Must dig out the dvd and watch all the extra footage again... over an hours-worth of cut scenes in the spec ed :smashin:

(Sorry for dragging this off topic)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom