1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Irman/Sky remote/cursor buttons

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MarkHudds, Apr 4, 2003.

1. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Interesting one this ...

Playing about with girder last night and tried some simple keyboard mapping to my Sky+ remote control. What I tried was the up/down/left/right arrows and 'return' mapped to the cursor and 'select' buttons on the Sky+ remote.

What I found was that the IR codes captured for these 5 buttons were not 5 seperate codes, they turned out to share 2 codes (e.g. the left button uses the same code as the up button). :confused:

What is going on here? How does my Sky+ box differentiate between button presses when the same code is sent for 2 different buttons?

2. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would imagine that it will be specific to which field the OSD is in.

Let us know how this turns out as am going to try this myself soon or lran the codes to my TAG remote.

Rgds

Nathan

3. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds to me you have a reading error of the original code from the sky remote. The buttons do not use the same codes, as then as you asked, the box would have no idea where to go from a standing start. but they may use very similar codes

I would try again varying between long and short key presses and distance from the receiver.

4. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'll try as suggested, however I'm not convinced!

I'll post my codes captured later, however I'm wondering if anyone would be able to try it themselves and post the codes? :smashin:

Makes me think though that if the cursor button codes are so similar and the the code received by irman depends on distance etc then isn't it going to get up/left mixed up all the time during use?

5. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    The codes are definitely not the same when captured from the Sky Remote on a Pronto. You may have come up against a limitation of the IRMAN.

The IRMAN doesn't capture enough detail of the IR signal to be able to reproduce it as a Pronto would have to, it merely captures an abbreviated "fingerprint" of the originally IR code. Normally this would be enough to distinguish between different IR codes, but in the case of the Sky remote its possible the abbreviated fingerprint the IRMAN stores looks the same for both codes.

I've had problems capturing the Sky Codes with the USB-UIRT, but luckily the USB-UIRT also allows you to paste in a code captured by the Pronto.

If you've got a Pronto, then you only need to look at the length of the captured code for a Sky signal versus the short identifier code the IRMAN captures to get a feel for the "abbreviation" the IRMAN is performing

6. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Gerbil,

Sounds about right. In fact there's posts on the Girder forum where people have had similar problems with adjacent RC5 codes on their Prontos (ie RC5 12 50 and RC5 12 51 being seen as the same code by IRman).

Indeed it does look like a limitation of IRman. Surely Evation must be aware of this? I see there's no forum on www.evation.com so I guess I'll have to write an email to their support.

Can you advise where you got the USB-UIRT from and where exactly are you pasting your full pronto codes?

Thanks!

7. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I got the USB-UIRT from here. Be careful, the customs charges can work out rather high.

The problem I has was actually getting the USB-UIRT to learn Sky codes well enough to transmit them reliably. When used in transmit mode the USB-UIRT girder plugin just has a box where you can paste in a code in Pronto format rather than learn it directly.

I'll try using the USB-UIRT more like an IRMAN this weekend and see if it recognises the Sky cursor buttons as distinct.

I'll let you know...

8. jrhees

jrhees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gerbil,

Keep a lookout for a new version of USB-UIRT firmware and plugin coming out in another week. This new version will use the USB-UIRT's integrated wideband IR detector to capture exact waveform data for more accurate learning.

-Jon

9. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks Jon, I'll keep a look out for it.

Its nice to know that I've bought something that's upgradeable.