1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IRiver, iPod or Rio karma?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by GavinH, May 10, 2004.

1. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I know there is a similar thread below, but I wanted to include the rio karma in the discussion. I'm undecided between these three - so if anyone can offer opinions, or answers to my questions that would be appreciated.

1) Hard Disk Drives. Ok, I was mislead by a staff member in Dixons (how did I let that happen?) who told me that the iPod was solid state - which is not the case. I understand that all of these players are HDD. I want to know which players can be used effectively when running/cycling. Mark has already told me that the iRiver can be used for example of a tread mill - does anyone know about the other two?

2) Sound quality. I must confess that I have not heard any of these players... but from the reviews I have read the three players all perform well. (Altough What Hi Fi did suggest that the iPod is better than the Rio...).

3) Linking to a stereo/amplifier. If someone could explain what is required to do this I would appreciate it. Note - I'm not bothered about the "in" connection - only the out. Is the RCA line out of the rio different to the optical output of the iRiver? Am I right in thinking that the iPod had no such output?

4) WMA support. I know the iPod does not support WMA files - however you can convert WMA's to MP3's... Does anyone know if there is a loss in quality when you convert a WMA to an MP3? If so, is it a big loss?

Thanks guys,

Gav

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Well I know nothing about the Rio, but did do some resurch on the iPod before buying the iRiver, so here goes:

1. Well you already know what i think on this one so we can skip this.

2. The iRiver can playback Ogg files which is a lossless format. Therefore it will in theory be as good as the origional source material. I'm not sure if any of the others will play a lossless format. The iRiver will also play uncomressed WAV files, so again there is, at least in theory, no loss of quality but the files are uncompressed and will therefore take up a lot more space on the HDD.

3. The iRiver has the optical output that will connect to an AV receiver etc and it also has a line out that is analogue and will connect to an analogue amp via a small stereo jack to 2 phono lead. I think the iPod has additional connections on the docking station.

4. MP3, WMA etc files are all a lossy format. If you convert from 1 to the other then yes you will loose more quality. IMO you would be better going back to the origional CD's and converting directly to MP3.

HTH,
    Mark.

3. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey thanks again Mark.

About point 4 - that's one of the main things that is putting me off the iPod. At work, there are a lot of people with good music available on the network - and as we all use media player - most are defaulting to WMA's... unless I ask people to bring their CDs back in and rip them to MP3 - I can't use them with an iPod. At the end of the day, any music that I like I will buy on CD... but it just seems silly to get an iPod when there are other good players that suport WMA and produce similar quality and (perhaps better) functionality...

About the Ogg files - you say they are a lossless format - what size are the files?

Cheers, Gav

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Ogg Vorbis FAQ can be found Here

Mark.

5. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    OGG definitely is NOT lossless.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    No, I found that when digging around tonight. I was told that it was when looking to buy my iRiver though. That'll teach me to listen to any salesmen!
    Although not lossless, it is supposed to be better quality than MP3.

Mark.