1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iRiver HP140 through hifi/ car stereo

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by mbrown63, Jan 23, 2005.

1. mbrown63

mbrown63
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies if my question has been discussed many times before on the forum!!

I'm wanting to get myself a Portable Hard Drive to carry all my music.

However, I will only need to use it through :-

i) Various Audio kit at home (Digital Optical output (or Analogue output) to my Home Cinema system/ Analogue output to a different micro system)
    ii) My 2 different cars (one company, 1 family)

I'm not going to use it through the headphones at all !

My leaning at the moment is for the iRiver HP140 as it seems to have the best connectivity and sound quality (important to me)

Any advice/ experiences to share ? Should I go for the iRiver or the iPOD ??

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Well I've got the iHP-120 the older 20Gb version of the iHP-140. Other than the disk size they are exactly the same.
    New players are being released all the time, but when I was looking, about 18 months ago, at getting this player it had the best sound quality and best connectivity of any MP3 player I found. I am very happy with the sound quality and would recommend them to anybody.

Mark.

3. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Your initial leaning is correct - the iRiver is better connectivity wise than the iPod. The big advantage for using it at home is the TOSlink optical in/out. This means you can hook it up digitally to a good AV receiver and get excellent sound quality.

In the car I guess that the iPod is potentially better as there are a few manufacturers who make iPod compatible head units. However, if you don't feel like buying one of these head units then both players are equal. Your options are to use an FM transmitter, use a cassette header or for best quality use a direct line-in. When I bought my car stereo I made sure that there was a 3.5mm jack on the front of the head unit, to which I connect my iRiver.

A really nice thing about the iRiver is that it doesn't have ANY sort of DRM. It's just a removable USB drive which you can freely copy all of your files including mp3s to and from. You can then play any file on the unit whose format the H140 supports - eg mp3, wav, ogg vorbis or unprotected WMA.

Watch out though, H140s aren't made any more and the replacement, the H340, lacks the optical IO. It's also bigger, heavier and more expensive.

Gav

4. mbrown63

mbrown63
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice - I've pretty much decided on the HP140 now.

I'll probably go along the FM transmitter route (for trips abroad only!) which will mean I can use it in either car.

I've also heard that if your car hifi has a CD Changer that you can get an adapter to use an Ipod instead - wondering if anyone knows if this is available for the HP140

5. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286

Most cars that have an option for attaching a CD changer can use the CD input as a line-input with a suitable adapter. This means you can connect an iRiver or iPod through that for best sound quality.

I don't know of anything that will adapt the control signals to let you actually browse the player from the head unit though. Like I said, there are one or two head units with direct support for the iPod.

Gav

6. mikehibbert

mikehibbert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got one of these for my H140, and have to be honest it was rubbish. The quality was much better on one of those Tape player things that plug into a phono jack (and even that was poor).
    In the end I went for a FM Modulator from Sextons, the sound quality is as good as FM with only a tiny bit of hiss inbetween tracks. I was a bit pricey, but worth it.

Mike

7. mbrown63

mbrown63
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My HP140 is being delivered today. I managed to find one for sale in the UK eventually, but they are running out of stock everywhere.

I'll be going to Uplands at the weekend to try to get an adaptor for line in on my car stereo.

Thanks for your help.

8. mikehibbert

mikehibbert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Richer Sounds are now selling them for (i think) £239

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Does anyone know whether these are being replaced by a non-colour equivalent?

10. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    The replacement is the H3xx series. Basically just remakes of the H1xx with colour screens and USB On The Go (in non US models) but without the optical digital I/O. Also they are a bit bulkier than the H1xx models.

Given the choice, I'd take the H1xx any day as a music player. For some with compatible digital cams, the H3xx might be attractive though.

Gav

11. mbrown63

mbrown63
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been to Uplands today and got a £10 adaptor for my Pioneer car hifi (which uses the aux port on the back of the car stereo) I've then attached it to my H140 via a Minidisc to RCA cable via the Line Out port.

I must admit I'm really pleased with the result - to me it sounds at least as good as the MP3 CD's I've been listening too.

I've managed to get 37 Gb on the iRiver in 3 days !! A satisfied customer.

12. fdrzrich

fdrzrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I'm currently waiting on the adapter from autoleads to connect up my H340 to my car stereo system, it should be turning up today! Was hoping that it sounded good!

BTW, did you know that the 'heavier, bulkier H3xx' can play divx movies?! LOL, who needs optical out!! :D

Also, all you Iriver owners, you might want to check out http://www.misticriver.net if you haven't already, as this forum seems to be full of Sony HDx owners!

13. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Well, for those of us who actually want to listen to MUSIC on our music players, an optical output (and input for recording digitally from CDs) is a pretty useful thing to have if you are hooking it up to your home A/V receiver.

As for the video: Well, given that you have to mess around to convert your video files to lo-rez, 10fps movies and then watch them on a tiny screen I'm less than enthused. Anyone interested in video on the move would be better advised to look at one of the 'real' portable video players that are now emerging (including iRiver's own model).

Overall I'll take the H1xx with it's optical I/O over the the 3xx any day. It's only if you have one of the relatively few digital cameras which the H3xx can control that it offers a genuine reason to buy, IMO.

iRiver should have concentrated on refining their design (smaller, lighter, more ergonomic, more useful features), not just dumping a colour screen in there for the sake of it. At the least, they really need to sort out the USB On The Go issues with the new models and also see about supporting DRM music on non-US H3xx models.

Gav