Iriver HD10 5GB Vs Ipod Mini 4GB

sh18

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, seeing as im going on holiday soon i want to get rid of my cd player and get an mp3 player. At the moment im stuck between the Iriver HD10 & the popular ipod mini. At the moment im swayed towards the iriver for its larger storage space, longer battery and photo viewing but a review i read said that there were gaps between songs unlike on a cd, is this common in all mp3 players? this fact slightly puts me off buying one, i own a lot of albums that have songs that seamlessley drift into each other (Trivium,Avenged Sevenfold,Tool) are there any players for the same sort of price range that does have gapless playback but also have the same features?

A major limitation of almost all Digital Audio Players (DAPS for short) is that they are unable to play back tracks without artifically inserting gaps between tracks. This isn't a problem for a good number of tracks on very many CDs - but there are albums, such as classical or live sets, or dance mixes, etc, which NEED to be played back gaplessly, yet these aren't catered for.

Rio made a player called the Karma (now out of production, but you could hunt one down online) which managed to play back ALL digital music without inserting gaps. Other than this, only Sony make players which, using their own format ATRAC, will give you proper gapless play back i.e as the artist intended it on the CD.

Sadly, however, Sony do not yet make a 4/5GB player. Their flash-based players go up to 1GB, then you're looking at 20/30GB for the newer hard drive players. These may or may not be out of your price range - and if you choose to encode music in ATRAC format, you're stuck using only Sony players!

Hope this helps.

hey
I own an Iriver H10
its great, make sure you visit misticriver.net for the iriver forums
Also there are pictures and videos of the device there, so you can check it out there.

I do recommend it, there are a few versions (MTP - US, UMS- EU version).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom