iRip or iRip 2?

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by Matt_C, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,588
    Friend of mine has a new iMac, and like a fool that didn't listen to me, he didn't save all his music from his PC to put on the iMac, instead thinking he could just plug in his iPod to the iMac and sync it back - even tho I told him explicitly a month ago he can't do this!

So I now need to save all the music from his iPod to his iMac so I can populate the library before plugging in the iPod, as obviously syncing the iPod on the iMac will wipe it...

So I've seen iRip mentioned on here and I looked it up on google. It says iRip is a free download for Mac, and that iRip 2 is a $20 upgrade.

So what is the difference between the two? It doesn't give a break down on each's features, and I just need to know that iRip, the free download, will indeed let me transfer all the music and video (only about 12gb) from him iPod to his iMac...

:)

2. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,588
    Ah, think I just found out - iRip v2 has a nicer interface than iRip v1, and the non-paid for is limited to 50 tracks. Seems the free download, although it says it's just "iRip" and not "iRip 2", is actually iRip 2, just with the 50 track limitation...

3. technarchy

technarchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    hi could you give some feedback on how your friend gets on with irip as im in the same situation! got a windows machine with 20gb of music on but for some reason it doesnt like being put onto the mac???was gonna try irip or senuti & try to get my music across this way!
    many thanks,technarchy

4. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    is it now 50 file limitation for the demo? wow, I remember when it was 100, anyway, a big thumbs up for irip from me, brilliant programme, when I had a hard drive failure on an old computer and I didn't back up, I use this to transfer my stuff from the iphone to my mini, worked a treat :smashin:

5. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I thought you could just move the files from a PC to the iMac. But not the other way round?

6. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    eh? I'm not sure I am following you, you can move files from pc to mac and vice versa, but in this instance, people need help in moving their content from their ipods/iphones as they didn't back up the originals on their old computers when they purchased new machines

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  7. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,588
    Files are files - you can move them from whatever computer to whatever computer however you like; network transfer, on a CD/DVD, external hdd, flash stick (can't think of anymore ways? lol)

Problem is, as I said in my first post, my friend is a muppet and instead of putting his 12gb of music, that was on his PC, into a folder on his external hdd, then transferring it onto his iMac, instead he deleted it. So now the ONLY back up of this music is on his iPod. And as we know, sync is a one way affair between iTunes and iPod; you can sync TO the iPod, but not FROM it.

Hence why needing an application that can not only read the filestructure and metadata on an iPod and interface with it, but also copy the files to a folder location on the local hard drive of the computer/mac. Those files can then be put into iTunes to populate a library, a library that will be identical to that of the iPod. However, iTunes will STILL insist on wiping the iPod next time it's asked to sync with it, but since we will have the SAME songs in the library, what is wiped off the iPod will be sync'd "back" to it during iTunes first sync. After that first sync, everything is back to normal and the world can carry on :)

But yes - you can move data file from a PC to a Mac, and you can move them from a Mac to a PC if you a) so wished and b) had the files on at least one of the machines in the first place! :smashin:

8. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Sorry I was thinking at a device level, I remember reading something somewhere, about how you can use a PC formatted iPod on a Mac but not the other way round.

Sorry, I scan read the original post.

Not used iRip before but Sentui Should do the job.

Good luck. :smashin:

9. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,588
  10. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I have Sentui and do actually use it quite regularly, it's worth the small amount it costs for the full version, however you could probably get the whole iPod off onto the iMac on the trial if you can be bothered to mess around a little.

My iTunes library is 37.76 GB for 5768 songs which means that each song is 0.006546463245492GB in size, this means that your friends library contains approx 1833 items. So you could move the library in 2 sittings on the trial.

If you have an app like Appdelete (highly recomended if you don't) or AppZapper. Then you can install the trial move the files, use Appdelete to erase Sentui and all of it's hidden/backup files then reinstall the trail and do the 2nd batch. This trick worked for me when I trialed Quark express 8 and totally for got to actually trial it in the 30 day trial period.

Slightly wonky way of doing things, but saves having to buy the app if you are never going to use it again. Appdelete is paid for though (think it's about $10).

11. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,588
  12. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Just divided my library size over songs, just to work out a rough estimate of how many transfers it could take.

13. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,588
  14. dc8900

dc8900
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,498
    oh I get you now, that clears up the confusion :)

15. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    For sure, but if he has 4000 at a total of 12gb they'd sound like rubbing turd in your ears!

The calculation was merely for illustrative purposes. Based on random song lengths using Apple's standard settings, the same as Apple saying "this iPod holds X amount of songs".

16. Matt_C

Matt_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,588