Ireland referendum: Yes or No

I can't say that I am not very pleasantly surprised as to the amount of support in Eire for the YES campaign if the exit polls are correct - I pessimistically suspected it would be far closer.

I'm 45 and voted yes to remove that 35 year old 8th amendment from the constitution.
The disgusting lies in some of the NO posters would turn anyone off. The Catholic Church is dying a death in Ireland and not a moment too soon, what with this and the marriage referendum a few years ago.
Unsurprisingly most of the over 65's are reported to have voted no.

Looks like progressive common sense has prevailed. The changes probably won't bring them into line with most of the rest of the Western World, but they'll be a start.

Well if you're specifically talking about abortion that'll be brought in line with most of Europe, unless you're referring to something else? If so I'm all ears.

Well if you're specifically talking about abortion that'll be brought in line with most of Europe, unless you're referring to something else? If so I'm all ears.
I mis-read the likely outcome of a yes vote.

Wonderful day for the people of Ireland.

Quite a number of the No posters took aim at England, and the statistic that 1 out of 5 healthy babies are aborted.
But it's quite simple in my opinion, it's a woman's choice, and a lot of those abortions in English clinics were probably Irish women.

Quite a number of the No posters took aim at England, and the statistic that 1 out of 5 healthy babies are aborted.
But it's quite simple in my opinion, it's a woman's choice, and a lot of those abortions in English clinics were probably Irish women.
It is what it is unfortunately. The only thing worse than abortion would be thousands and thousands more unwanted, unloved children.

Let the women choose and let the families live with their decisions.

Last edited:

And that to me was the hypocrisy behind it for so many years. As long as nobody in Ireland knows or does it, then the woman are fine to go abroad and do it there. I'm glad they are seeing sense.

So next referendum for the UK :) When will the 2 GP rule be abolished....I must admit I find that a slightly harder one. In practise it hasn't been an issue at all.

Just need to wait for the announcement.

When will the 2 GP rule be abolished.
Thanks, I didn't know about that. It turns out the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists thought so in 2007.

Glad to see sense has prevailed and this out of date ridiculous law can be removed.

No one should have a choice removed purely because of another person’s religious beliefs.

There's also a stupid 2009 blasphemy law that has to be got rid of. Ok it's the least restrictive in the world and is basically unenforceable but it's still embarrassing.

No one should have a choice removed purely because of another person’s religious beliefs.
but across the pond in the land of the free it's going backwards fast
- a bunch of old men who've paid for their mistresses' terminations are now dictating uterine activity

but across the pond in the land of the free it's going backwards fast
- a bunch of old men who've paid for their mistresses' terminations are now dictating uterine activity

Well of course the US is a haven of hypocrisy.

When I last visited a termination clinic, I'd estimate 50% were women losing a baby and 50% young girls not wanting one. It was very poignant...

Never resented those girls choosing not to have their ones as we lost ours though.

I so want to give you an appreciation for having the strength to share this. They all them seem inappropriate though. A thanks would seem best.

Best wishes
Bri

I thought the same as per above. I was very surprised to see so many young people involved in no in the debate.

Wow, will this be the first topic in politics where everyone in this little section of s great forum is aligned?

Were there really that many young people involved in the support for the no vote? Just because we saw quite a few on tv doesn't that there was actually a large percentage of them.

Bri

Last edited:
I so want to give you an appreciation for having the strength to share this. They all them seem inappropriate though. A thanks would seem best.

Best wishes
Bri

We were devastated at the time, nobody talked about miscarriages back then, we had no idea what was going on. It was a long time ago though, we have had two children since. Eldest of those is 16 :smashin:

We were devastated at the time, nobody talked about miscarriages back then, we had no idea what was going on. It was a long time ago though, we have had two children since. Eldest of those is 16 :smashin:

Pleased to hear that. I don't know how far you're going back but I do remember a time when when you never heard of it. Someone my wife worked with had the misfortune of a still birth. They took photographs of the baby as if it had been born alive and showed them round. Everyone thought it so weird at the time. Ourselves included I'm afraid but we simply hadn't even thought of how terrible that would be for a couple and so difficult to deal with. Of course so many would want a such a reminder of their lost child.

Bri

The result was 66/34 percent for yes.

Were there really that many young people involved in the support for the no vote? Just because we saw quite a few on tv doesn't that there was actually a large percentage of them.

Bri
That is not what I said though.

Lol considering the vote was last week, you have the benefit of hindsight :)

The original questions were:

So will Ireland drag itself into the 21st century, or not?

Will they respect the will of the people?

The question wasn't will they get a yes vote. A yes vote in the referendum doesn't necessarily guarantee a yes to those questions.

Bri

The original questions were:

So will Ireland drag itself into the 21st century, or not?

Will they respect the will of the people?

The question wasn't will they get a yes vote. A yes vote in the referendum doesn't necessarily guarantee a yes to those questions.

Bri

Not sure where you're going with all this but we're putting aside those old Catholic conservative ideas, if that's what you mean by bring "dragged into the 21st century"?
My area in Dublin voted 77% yes to repeal the 8th amendment. Our Prime Minister is the gay son of an Indian immigrant. We voted for same sex marriage, the first country in the world to do so by referendum. We were the first country to introduce a smoking ban in all workplaces. Bring on euthanasia clinics next.

Last edited:
Not sure where you're going with all this but we're putting aside those old Catholic conservative ideas, if that's what you mean by bring "dragged into the 21st century"?
My area in Dublin voted 77% yes to repeal the 8th amendment. Our Prime Minister is the gay son of an Indian immigrant. We voted for sale sex marriage, the first country in the world to do so by referendum. We were the first country to introduce a smoking ban in all workplaces. Bring on euthanasia clinics next.

I wasn't going anywhere with it. I was just mentioning those were the questions I'd answered yes to in response to Bl4ckGryph0n's post. I applaud your movements forward. I wish we could now have a vaping ban too. The overwhelming smell makes me want to throw up. I'd like euthanasia as well. When I had cancer I considered going abroad to avail myself of such a service had the treatment been unsuccessful. I'm intrigued by this sale sex marriage though.

:laugh:
Bri

I wasn't going anywhere with it. I was just mentioning those were the questions I'd answered yes to in response to Bl4ckGryph0n's post. I applaud your movements forward. I wish we could now have a vaping ban too. The overwhelming smell makes me want to throw up. I'd like euthanasia as well. When I had cancer I considered going abroad to avail myself of such a service had the treatment been unsuccessful. I'm intrigued by this sale sex marriage though.

:laugh:
Bri

Jeez I thought I edited all the typos out! Damn phone.
Euthanasia needs to be legalised asap!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom