Irdeto CAMS

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Dumfy, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello everyone,

I'm thinking of buying and Irdeto cam to use in my Echostar receiver but I'm a little baffled?? It seems that there are three types on the market...Irdeto, Irdeto 2 and Irdeto All cam (I think it's called).

What is the difference between them and which is the best to go for? I guess the latter would be the best as it's a combination of the other two, maybe? But it's expensive.

I'll be using it for the German Premier stuff so I can take full benefit of the Dolby Digital 5.1 output that the Echostar has. Are the channels German/English switchable and if so is 5.1 available on both?

Many thanks and hope you can help

Regards

Dumfy

2. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Firstly are the channels you wish to view encrypted with Irdeto ? I presume they are from your question and do they require a card subscription or are they free-to-air in Irdeto ?

Irdeto is a type of encryption system used on certian euro sat channels. Irdeto 2 is a more secure/upgraded version of the first system Irdeto.

The Original Irdeto system has been hacked and many view channels encoded in the original encrypion system either with a 'smart' card or a laptop, software and device to connect the card to the laptop. Codes are to be found on the internet. To do this you will need an all-cam irdeto cam.
    Original Irdeto cards can be upgraded using a laptop to all-cam (I have done this), but when upgraded to an Irdeto 2 cam you will not be able to reverse it.

As far as I'm aware no one has actually cracked the irdeto 2 encryption although many have copied (illegally) the original cards.

Confused. There is so much to all of it, I've just covered the edges and have not gone into detail on it all.

3. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Andypandy,

thanks for the info. I know it's all a minefield. I'm set up with Seca and an embedded Viaccess CAM and am familiar with the problems.

I just wasn't sure what was the best Irdeto CAM to go for when it came to wanting to watch Premier in 5.1DD. I know Irdeto 1 has been hacked so I'm unsure for how long it'll be around. I've seen the CAMS for sale at around £65 which isn't a bad price. Perhaps that's because it's on the way out.

If you have any more info, please let me know.

Thanks and regards

Dumfy

;)

4. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    That's a very good question - I don't know how long it's going to be around for, I bet the company itself does not even know !!!

I have an irdeto cam and with a season interface connected to my laptop using Ipnotica software.

I use to watch mainly Nova (now on IR 2) owing to the fact I am greek !!!, Stream, Canal Digital and Premier World Channels.

As I am temporarily living elsewhere at the moment I'm not sure if the latter 3 are still on Irdeto.