1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IrDA (Consumer Level) PDA question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by mikearv, Nov 14, 2004.

1. mikearv

mikearv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm hoping to buy a new PDA for xmas to use as a remote for all my AV gear and also as a remote for my HTPC...

I'm eyeing up the Fujitsu Siemens Loox 710 which has wifi, bluetooth and "IrDa(consumer level)"

I'm slightly unsure if this would be suitable to control my AV gear? I read this on the nevo site was is what confused me

"most consumer electronics devices are tuned to receive consumer IR (infrared), not IrDA"

My goal is to use the PDA IR to control my receiever, tv etc and use wifi to control the HTPC and act as a audio interface like this http://www.hushtest.de/hushshop/sho...img/big_img/podbox.jpg

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Before you buy anything I would suggest you check the 'range' over which the IR beam can be transmitted and received. I thought about doing the same sort of thing with my PalmPilot but after some investigation decided that the distance between my sofa and the tv would be too great for it to work - just a thought, regards, yt.