1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iraqi Stampede

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by richjthorpe, Sep 2, 2005.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I forgot to start this thread a few days ago when it happened and it's seemed to be a little overshadowed with the events in New Orleans.

Nearly a thousand people have died due to a stampede of Shi'ite muslims rushing out of a Mosque to avoid the threat of being killed by a suicide bomber.

What are peoples comments on this ? The fact that suicide bombing is putting the fear of god into peoples lives. The fact that Iran are now blaming the US for the stampede.

It seems fate had a sense of irony for the poor souls who perished when the bridge collapsed after running from an almost certain death.

Richie.

2. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    to be honest i think it is really sad, but i don't think we can hold anyone ( eg America) to blame, unfrotunatley thier are people who are willing to be suicide bombers and they will scare people ( they scare the hell out of me, i work in Russell Square) and it will lead to events like this.

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    To all the iraqi insurgents and sympathisers (al qaeda et al); where were you when Sadam was oppressing his own people?

Also they talk about the "occupation", but forces only fight those that (will) attack them. The sooner everythings sorted, sooner troops leave.

4. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It's very sad.

The majority of muslims killed in Iraq are by other Muslim. Not long before the stampede mortar rounds had been fired into the crowd, killing at least seven , most likely by rival Sunni muslims. No wonder everybody were half scarded to death.

I'm not crazy about America's view on the world. But there does need some presure placed upon these so called Muslims that are fighting for their "fellow muslim sisters and brothers" When it's mainly other muslims that are suffering at their hands.

You've got rival groups, and so called freedom fighters willing to kill anything that moves, mainly eachother. They'll kill 20 other muslims to kill one soldier, nothing said in the muslim world about it, or their voices are being drowned out.

It's far more unstable now then it ever was, and the west has had a hand in it, but it's Muslims killing Muslims that's destroying any chance for the country to recover.

5. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Good point Sean. I have to admit I haven't really thought of it that way.

6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    the events in Iraq and US shows that God and nature don't have favourites. If humans realised that, the world would be a nicer place

7. Lide

Lide
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly!

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    How many fellow muslims were killed in the London bombings by the bombers?

9. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    And the recent video where the British accent(ed) terrorist threatening more bombings like London because the public support Blair and Iraq. Uhh yeah. Speak for yourself. Even in US now, public support for Iraq is dwindling due to more troops coming home for funerals

10. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

I can't say Garrett, what i'm drawing attenion to is the paradox of muslims inflicting pain on others because they think pain is being inflicted on their fellow muslims by us, when most of the pain inflicted on the muslim population of Iraq is by other muslims. They have no regard for the lifes they claim to be fighting for

11. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Seany, that is the case with all terrorists. Even the PLO etc care little about the impact their bombings have on their already impoverished brethren. Their sick minds see them as 'casualties of war'.

This is also why it's dangerous to link the actions of such twisted individuals to any 'cause' - as certain unscrupulous people are trying to do in Britain today. If they weren't blowing people up in the name of 'whatever' they would probably become serial killers or mass rapists. No-one fully stacked up manages to convince themselves that acts of atrocity are 'justified'.

Desperate situations may lead to desperate measures, but surely attacking military targets, rather than blowing up innocent on trains, kids on buses, and massacring an entire school, has at least a whiff of legtimacy.

Blowing up innocent people and the mass killing of children to 'maximise publicity', not to mention hiding behind those same innocents when cornered, is the act of sickos and cowards - not 'freedom fighters'.

12. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
    definitely.

If I had any say in the matter, the words 'terrorist' and 'freedom fighter' etc, would be completely banned from all media and replaced simply with 'murderer'

13. Steve N

Steve N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,693
    I agree absolutely

14. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

If we all know the above , then the muslim world knows. There's not enough being said, or bombs are louder then voices of reason.

15. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    The muslim World does know seany. The trouble is, it's a society split straight down the middle. One half is extremely wealthy from oil and it's spin offs, the other, poverty sticken. It's practical medieval, and just as we (ie the Europeans) did during that period, the rich half uses extreme religion to keep the poor and ignorant half in line. No excuses mind, just a state of affairs that means as long as they have excuses ie 'Western interference' they can keep the flames of hate burning. More important in many ways is that while ordinary muslims aren't really that concerned with the extremists views, they are scared of them.

Fear and ignorance, the two biggest causes of misery in the World.

Lets face it, the problems with European terrorism are caused by too many turning a blind eye, thru either mistaken religious, or political motivations. I was shocked to read that Bader-Meinhoff had the support of 65% of West German people before their really big bomb attack on the US troops! As long as they can hide amongst misguided sympathizers these fruitloops will carry on maiming the innocent.

16. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    at the risk of breaking forum rules, its in my opinion religion and nationalism

mod can edit if you don't like

17. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    But fear and ignorance are (arguably) heavily involved in both.

18. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    then its a (lethal) combination of all four

19. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Could they be the real four deadly sins?

20. seb

seb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah , the 2 biggest causes of misery, Fear , Ignorance......... and Religion

3... the 3 biggest causes of misery, Fear, Ignorance and Religion............and Nationalism :rolleyes: no wait 4...4 ! biggest causes of misery..... :lesson: