Iranian Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rasczak

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Interesting moral dilemma being reported by BBC Radio 4 - an Iranian man, having been convicted for assaulting a women and blinded her by throwing acid in her face, is today himself scheduled to be blinded by a court ordered process. In a penal hospital a doctor will syringe acid into his eyes until he has been permamently blinded.

So what do you think? Barbaric of course - but is it a deterrent to others? Is it Justice? Should victims dictate sentences (as has happened here)? Is this blinding a worse crime than the one he did?

My view is that, whilst I am all for tough sentences against those convicted, deliberate physical injury can never, ever be justified. If this sentence is carried out Iran really will have put itself amongst the damned. IMHO of course!

Last edited:
so will they then blind those who made the criminal blind, and then blind those who in turn made them blind?

of course not. and that's where corporal punishment falls down

just because one person does something does not make it right for another do do the same thing in revenge. we live in a civilised society, and behaviour like that isn't civilised. no-one wants to step back in time to the middle ages

An eye for an eye - real old testament stuff and stepping back 2,000 years.

That is not justice - it's revenge.

so will they then blind those who made the criminal blind, and then blind those who in turn made them blind?

of course not. and that's where corporal punishment falls down

just because one person does something does not make it right for another do do the same thing in revenge. we live in a civilised society, and behaviour like that isn't civilised. no-one wants to step back in time to the middle ages

Personally i'd love to see some of that type of justice handed out to the scum we have here and the pathetic sentences they get.

Personally i'd love to see some of that type of justice handed out to the scum we have here and the pathetic sentences they get.

but if you wish harm on someone that makes you no better than them surely?

or at least it's one thing to think it, and another to act upon it. so your thoughts may be fine, but do act upon it would make you no better

thus anyone who carries out such a deed is a hippocrite

and if someone was surely so religious, surely they wouldn't want to harm another man?

It's better than handing him a short sentence with a probability of parole and reduced sentence for good behaviour. :mad:

literally an eye for an eye scenario, i feel for the victim i really do but i think this is wrong. The victim must have doubts or is that full of emotion she has not thought it through.↲Could any one of us allow someone to be blinded permanantly, i don't think i would

An eye for an eye - real old testament stuff and stepping back 2,000 years.

That is not justice - it's revenge.

As others have said; is it justice when for murder some people do stupid times like 15-20 years actually in prison?

It is a tough one but I would say that is is more justice being done than giving the woman compensation and putting the guy behind bars for a small amount of time - comparative to how long she will remain blind.

Another idea would be (if the medical ability of our world is up to it?) to some how use parts of his eyes to try and heal hers first?

Another idea would be (if the medical ability of our world is up to it?) to some how use parts of his eyes to try and heal hers first?
↲Think with acid once it gets into the eyes and its not immediately treated the eye and its functions would be damaged beyond repair, lad at our place got thinners in his eye instead of letting us rinse his eye out kept waiving his arms about and running around like a loon, he now has lost all sight in his right eye

↲Could any one of us allow someone to be blinded permanantly, i don't think i would

Do you mean if it was done to you or me? Hell yeah and then ripped apart by horses, seriously I would have no problem with that, nor would I loose any sleep guilt wise over it.

If that makes me uncivilised then I'm still ok with it.

you might be able to say that now, but touch wood it never does happen to you, how can you be so certain that you would feel the same way if the situation occured.↲Maybe i'm just too soft or daft lol but i dont think i would cause someone permanent damage or a life altering injury unless my life was in immediate danger then i would use excessive force to protect myself.↲who knows though my train of thought could change if i were in that situation :)

I think I heard that this action has been deferred now, yes ?

I wonder which european country imprisons more people than any other? Including children. That does not seem to cut crime at all. I don't really trust the government to run the local swimming pool never mind pouring acid into the right persons eyes.

Should have done the same to Katie Piper's ex.

Sounds fair enough to me.
Better than the pathetic punishment we dish out.

Barbaric of course - but is it a deterrent to others? Is it Justice?

And the criminal who threw the acid wasn't? It's only barbaric if the crime was say throwing a apple on the floor.
Yes and yes.

Is it ironic the number of people who claim not to want Sharia law seem to agree with it's sentencing??

I think there was a case in Saudi quite some time ago where a guy had blown off half of the victims body, so they blew up half of his body.

In a civilised society the aim should be the rehabilitation of criminals, else we might as well execute them all or keep them locked up permanently consuming resources.

In a civilised society the aim should be the rehabilitation of criminals,

People who throw acid into someone's face don't deserve to be rehabilitated. Bullet in the head, thrown into a hole, done.

It is barbaric, it's not justice it's revenge. It's not going to bring the womans sight back. I'd have him serve a sentence and then have him spend the rest of his life working with a charity for blind people. Much more useful to society.

you might be able to say that now, but touch wood it never does happen to you, how can you be so certain that you would feel the same way if the situation occured.

Touch wood indeed! But I know myself pretty well and the best answer I can give is based on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom