Iran admits shooting down airliner

To make what choice, to ignore the assassination of a top military advisor and do nothing?

To make what choice, to ignore the assassination of a top military advisor and do nothing?
Well that says it all.

But yes, that was choice number one. And they took their time, and even then it was a pathetic attempt at retaliation. Purely for show.

If Iran felt Trump ( or Pompeo) and his administration had, in their eyes, committed bad things, are they allowed to nuke him?

It is subjective. Cultures and history are a factor in all this.

Here the POTUS killed a senior foreign head of military. I still challenge Trump had the right.

You were expecting the US to ignore the attacks he's arranged against them and do nothing.

If Iran felt Trump ( or Pompeo) and his administration had, in their eyes, committed bad things, are they allowed to nuke him?

It is subjective. Cultures and history are a factor in all this.

Here the POTUS killed a senior foreign head of military. I still challenge Trump had the right.
Still no excuse to shoot down civilians on a commercial airliner in 2020.

Nuke him? No.

It was a small targeted missile that just killed the perpetrator and his henchmen. No problem with that.

For years they send out people at the bottom to plant bombs. Those at the bottom risk their lives or imprisonment and for little money or reward.

The people at the top orchestrating it, get to live in big mansions, wealth and promotion.

I'd rather they were targeted. Osama, him, others, and then perhaps they will realise they are vulnerable and stop doing it.

You were expecting the US to ignore the attacks he's arranged against them and do nothing.

I don't believe I said that or even hinted at it. Also, US intelligence services have hardly covered themselves in glory in recent times. Also, the US has had countless opportunities to take action against him. Why now?

I don't believe I said that or even hinted at it. Also, US intelligence services have hardly covered themselves in glory in recent times. Also, the US has had countless opportunities to take action against him. Why now?
Why not now? They didn’t have collateral damage. It was a targeted assassination.

Anyway, Iran has a choice and they choose to take down a commercial airliner carrying civilian passengers departing from their own airport, on a normal civilian scheduled flight. Whilst they were not under attack.

And worse they denied they did it, until it was clear they couldn’t deny it. Then they called it an accident. Pathetic. Just as pathetic as Corbyn calling it a plane crash.

So you think Iran deliberately downed that aircraft?

US intelligence services have hardly covered themselves in glory in recent times.
Whataboutery and what do you mean? Bad guy and his crew killed and no one else. That's pretty good isn't it?
Also, the US has had countless opportunities to take action against him. Why now?
So would you prefer he had been killed years ago?

Or that we should have waited till he'd killed some more?

Which?

So you think Iran deliberately downed that aircraft?
I doubt it that they did it deliberately, the flight they’ve then chosen would be so silly and stupid that it would seem a mistaken target.

No, I do believe they made a mistake in identifying the target. But how you can do that in 2020 with a commercial airliner is beyond me. It has plenty of visual and electronic identification. So from annIran government to blame it on a accident is still wrong. I appreciate they are under sanctions, for good reasons, but that is no excuse when being an aggressor like that to not safe guards innocent bystanders. The technology is there, the country has got highly skilled engineers in lots of different fields. No excuse at all.

Corbyn can't bring himself to say Iran shot down an aircraft. It was "a plane crash."

View attachment 1243760

By the same logic, Soleimaini died in "a car crash."

I suppose missiles were present but they weren't involved.
To be fair, the media are using the term ‘Plane crash’ to describe this in their news coverage though.

Seems like the US is adopting it as a plan. Kill Americans, be targeted.

One of the U.S. officials named the Iranian who had been targeted as Abdul Reza Shahlai, a senior officer in the Revolutionary Guards’ elite Quds force, the unit in charge of foreign operations that had been headed by Soleimani.

The U.S. Treasury Department says he was based in Yemen and accused him of "a long history of targeting Americans and U.S. allies globally," including killing U.S.-led coalition forces in Iraq. It has offered a $15 million reward in connection with him under its "Rewards for Justice" here program.

Screenshot_20200112-113210_Chrome.jpg

Protests continue in Tehran. Protesters are chanting many of the same slogans from #IranProtests of November 2019

They're chanting: "The regime told us our enemy is the US. But actually, our enemy is right here" [in reference to the regime itself]. Masih Alinejad 🏳️ on Twitter

Well for me the decision to allow civilian aircraft to fly was ridiculous.yes, some human made an error in judgement and was trigger happy. But if it was not deliberate then by default it is accidental, no?

Last edited:
Well I think your links are very selective. If you want to play that game then you need to go back a lot further to determine the original cause of the tensions in the middle east. How about “none of this would have happened had Al-Qaeda not attacked US soil.

You could certainly argue that the recent events would have not happened had Iran not been supporting terrorists and paramilitary groups in Iraq.

Cheers,

Nigel
What is the connection between Iran and Al-Qaeda? One of the countries most associated with Al-Qaeda is Saudi Arabia. They killed a journalist on their own embassy, keep a war in Yemen, fund extreme version of Islam and we call them friends. We even 'accidentally' sell them weapons even it is illegal to do so.

I wonder what our reaction would be if Putin or the Iranian leader kills a general in the US, UK or any of our allies?

What is the connection between Iran and Al-Qaeda? One of the countries most associated with Al-Qaeda is Saudi Arabia. They killed a journalist on their own embassy, keep a war in Yemen, fund extreme version of Islam and we call them friends. We even 'accidentally' sell them weapons even it is illegal to do so.

Well firstly, I was just saying “if you want to play the blame game” you have to ho back further and I did soften it by bringing it back to more recent events.

But yes, tensions in the middle east have been high going back to the 50s maybe early but 911 marked a significant step change, the birth of terrorist activity that is still ongoing. We can’t know but I suspect that if that had not happened the tension in the middle east would be a lot less.

Cheers,

Nigel

Yes but none of that matters remember. It doesn't suit the narrative.

But returning to Iran, I look forward now to our government stepping up efforts to secure the release of the likes of Zaghari-Ratcliffe.

I wonder what our reaction would be if Putin or the Iranian leader kills a general in the US, UK or any of our allies?

One of our discussions at work the other day, was how would we react if a foreign power had launched a missile attack against a non national of this country and the result of this would action be that few innocent British citizens were also killed. With the country that launched it them putting their hands up and declaring "Hey we did that"

Generally we all agree that American peace and diplomacy around the world is normally done via an attempt to destabilise a country (resulting in countless deaths, murders and mayhem) or at the end of a 500lb guided missile.

On topic: It is a dreadful thing to happen, should not have happened at all and well done to the Iranians for admitting ASAP that it was them that shot it down.

On topic: It is a dreadful thing to happen, should not have happened at all and well done to the Iranians for admitting ASAP that it was them that shot it down.
Hardly ASAP as for a few days they were denying it.

One of our discussions at work the other day, was how would we react if a foreign power had launched a missile attack against a non national of this country and the result of this would action be that few innocent British citizens were also killed. With the country that launched it them putting their hands up and declaring "Hey we did that"

Generally we all agree that American peace and diplomacy around the world is normally done via an attempt to destabilise a country (resulting in countless deaths, murders and mayhem) or at the end of a 500lb guided missile.

ASAP admitting? Are you serious?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom