Quantcast

Iran admits shooting down airliner

Ono

After having seen the footage - they really had no option. I think the admission is the right thing to do. A tragic accident and collateral damage from something Trump started.

SDMDAM

Tragic mistake. The collateral damage from that US airstrike has been awful.

Why commercial were allowed to fly at this time is also ridiculous and something that needs to be investigated.

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
Rediculous comments above apu ref Trump.

Iran attacked the embassy. Trump retaliated unlike his predecessors. Iran has been attacking oil tankers, shipping routes for months.

They're that thick, they kill 50 of there own at a funeral ***. They killed more people than Trump!

Last edited:

ssbib

After having seen the footage - they really had no option. I think the admission is the right thing to do. A tragic accident and collateral damage from something Trump started.
You’re right but I’m still surprised they admitted it.

ufo550

Let’s not forget that the US have done something very similar themselves.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
No one has clean hands here. It's just the way it all works.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Tragic mistake. The collateral damage from that US airstrike has been awful.

Why commercial were allowed to fly at this time is also ridiculous and something that needs to be investigated.
This is not collateral damage, it is just a stupid mistake. Collateral damage is where you fire at a legitimate target but nearby non-combatant people and buildings are also harmed.

This is not collateral damage, if you think otherwise tell me the legitimate target that was attacked.

This is just a sad accident brought about by trigger-happy Iranians.

Cheers,

Nigel

SDMDAM

You are splitting hairs and being very pandatic if you think the deaths are not collateral damage. If the US had not launched their attack, there would not have been a funeral, no crush at the funeral where 50 people died and no action by Iran where a plane was shot down in a tragic incident.

richp007

Distinguished Member
This is not collateral damage, it is just a stupid mistake. Collateral damage is where you fire at a legitimate target but nearby non-combatant people and buildings are also harmed.

This is not collateral damage, if you think otherwise tell me the legitimate target that was attacked.

This is just a sad accident brought about by trigger-happy Iranians.

Cheers,

Nigel
I'm afraid you clearly don't understand the term "collateral damage".

nheather

Distinguished Member
You are splitting hairs and being very pandatic if you think the deaths are not collateral damage. If the US had not launched their attack, there would not have been a funeral, no crush at the funeral where 50 people died and no action by Iran where a plane was shot down in a tragic incident.
Well I think your links are very selective. If you want to play that game then you need to go back a lot further to determine the original cause of the tensions in the middle east. How about “none of this would have happened had Al-Qaeda not attacked US soil.

You could certainly argue that the recent events would have not happened had Iran not been supporting terrorists and paramilitary groups in Iraq.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

SDMDAM

Well I think your links are very selective. If you want to play that game then you need to go back a lot further to determine the original cause of the tensions in the middle east. How about “none of this would have happened had Al-Qaeda not attacked US soil.

Cheers,

Nigel
Seriously? I am talking about the collateral damage from this US strike, which is what this thread is about. It is not about x number of years of anguish and who caused what.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Seriously? I am talking about the collateral damage from this US strike, which is what this thread is about. It is not about x number of years of anguish and who caused what.
Fair enough I was updating my post to make it more recent as your response came through.

I repeat, these recent events would not have happened had Iran not been supporting terrorist and paramilitary activities in Iraq. There is the real source of this most recent chain of events.

Cheers,

Nigel

SDMDAM

Fair enough I was updating my post to make it more recent as your response came through.

I repeat, these recent events would not have happened had Iran not been supporting terrorist and paramilitary activities in Iraq. There is the real source of this most recent chain of events.

Cheers,

Nigel
Fair enough :thumbsup:

Jules Tohpipi

Let's be honest, the reason that missile operator was spooked is because of the 22 missiles Iran had fired at American forces only two hours earlier. My arse would have been twitching, too.

phillyd1981

What a load of poppy co k do you know why the USA launched a selective strike to take out the general.

aaronquinn

Standard Member

Whichever side of the politics you stand on, this is tragic at best! :(
Dreadful outcome, I'm not so sure if it was deliberate or accidentally as it was on the usual flight path, it had just taken off from a main airport. This is the bit which no one will ever know the truth. A twisted world we live in I'm afraid to say,!

IronGiant

What a load of poppy co k do you know why the USA launched a selective strike to take out the general.
The question is largely about whether this was a strategic military decision from the Secretary of Defence and the Joint Chiefs of Staff, or whether Trump made an executive decision. By Tweeting the "Victory" the POTUS "owned it". It would have been interesting to see if the resulting retaliation would have been as devastating if he'd just been kept away from Twitter during a sensitive moment.

aaronquinn

Standard Member
The question is largely about whether this was a strategic military decision from the Secretary of Defence and the Joint Chiefs of Staff, or whether Trump made an executive decision. By Tweeting the "Victory" the POTUS "owned it". It would have been interesting to see if the resulting retaliation would have been as devastating if he'd just been kept away from Twitter during a sensitive moment.
Very true, I just hope the pace of this crisis slows down for now at least.

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
Over on the Politics Forum, the usual suspects are saying it's nothing to do with the orange dimwit.

You know, there's no narrative of cause and effect. o_O
So who was to blame when Iran has done the same before?

The Iranian military was so apprehensive about the threat of an Israeli airstrike on its nuclear installations in 2007 and 2008 that it mistakenly fired on civilian airliners and, in one instance, on one of its own military aircraft, according to classified American intelligence reports.

The civilian planes were fired on by surface-to-air missiles and antiaircraft batteries and intercepted by Iranian fighter jets.

“Iranian air defense units have taken inappropriate actions dozens of times, including firing antiaircraft artillery and scrambling aircraft against unidentified or misidentified targets,” noted a heavily classified Pentagon intelligence report, which added that the Iranian military’s communications were so inadequate and its training deficiencies so significant that “misidentification of aircraft will continue.”

Hixs

Distinguished Member
The politics have arrived.

SEND THEM BACK!

We're full.

phillyd1981

@SDMDAM How is 50 people being crushed at the funeral gathering collateral damage no one forced these people there they all had free will. The 737 being shot down is down to Iran's incompetent military.

SDMDAM

@SDMDAM How is 50 people being crushed at the funeral gathering collateral damage no one forced these people there they all had free will. The 737 being shot down is down to Iran's incompetent military.
If the death had not happened the funeral would not have happened.

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
If the death had not happened the funeral would not have happened.
If the embassy attack had not happened the death would not have happened. *

*I actually think it would, I don't think Sulemaini's death was a knee jerk reaction to the embassy attack, but the point still stands.

This whole thing didn't just kick off when Donald Trump woke up one morning and decided to blow someone up.