IR Wall Outlet Plugs

sonysean

Hi, the subwoofer that i currently use has a manual power ON/OFF button on it that cannot obviously be controlled by a remote.

I then thought about using one of those remote-controlled wall sockets.
I could leave the manual switch on the subwoofer to "ON", and then plug it into a remote controlled wall plug, so then i could use a remote to turn the sub on and off.

I want an IR wall plug so that i can use it with a future Harmony remote that i hope to one day get.
But after searching high and low on loads of online shops and google, i cannot find 1 single IR remote controlled plug socket. They are all RF :(.

Am sorry if this question has been asked before, but is their anywhere i can buy an IR plug socket that i could use with a Harmony remote?:lease:

Thanks
Sean.

clockworks

Look for a "Standby Saver" - an IR controlled extension lead. I'm using one with a Harmony.

logiciel

Yes a google search for IR Standby Saver brings up several - and you get six or more sockets for your money.:D

tankstage

Look for a "Standby Saver" - an IR controlled extension lead. I'm using one with a Harmony.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I am also using a "Standby Saver".
I use mine to power down my TV,Xbox360 and amp. My problem is when the Harmony activity starts, the TV and amp are not powered on quick enough for them to respond to their own on from standby commands.
I have tried different delays ( I have added the Standby Saver as a device ), all to no avail and the only way is to switch it on from the devices section of the remote before starting an activity.
Do you have a better way ?

P.S. I have contacted support about this but await a reply.

Cheers

Tank

majnu

Distinguished Member

logiciel

A long Inter-device Delay ought to handle the problem.

That is one of the many Savers that a Google search brings up, and that ought to be OK with any Harmony.

clockworks

Yes, long inter-device delay, and moving the Saver to the top of the power on order, works fine.

logiciel

Thanks clockworks - I've no experience of these things.

sonysean

Thanks alot guys :thumbsup:

m4rky_m4rk

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I am also using a "Standby Saver".
I use mine to power down my TV,Xbox360 and amp. My problem is when the Harmony activity starts, the TV and amp are not powered on quick enough for them to respond to their own on from standby commands.
I have tried different delays ( I have added the Standby Saver as a device ), all to no avail and the only way is to switch it on from the devices section of the remote before starting an activity.
Do you have a better way ?

P.S. I have contacted support about this but await a reply.

Cheers

Tank

I prefer to use a seperate 'Lights and Sockets' activity to power stuff on and off at the mains via soft and hard buttons. I do have quite a few things that i can turn on and off or even dim so it makes more sense for me.

tankstage

Thanks for all the replies chaps.

Support just changed the inter-device delay, which I had already tried and it dosn't work.
I have now changed the power on command for the saver from a single command to a multiple, and make the remote send the on command three times, with an inter-key delay.

Back on thread, I bought three from fleabay for just under £44. Search for "British Gas Standby" and they are BIN for £11.99

Tank

Last edited:

sonysean

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom