IR sender under the stairs

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by tim allen, Sep 11, 2007.

1. tim allen

tim allen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi have hade a look round and cant find any info would like to put my tv on the wall with my equipment under the stairs so would like to control them using an av sender is this possable if so which one would be the best.I have about 6 bits of equipment also would heat be a problem with the door closed

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,366
    Equipment under the stairs will create a lot of heat. AV senders send the poorest type of signal (composite), they are great for a 14" second TV but that is it. Your new wall mount TV wants quality connections like RGB, Component, HDMI and DVI which are not available over av senders due to a massive difference in bandwidth.

3. JamesAV

JamesAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  4. tim allen

tim allen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading the replys I probably should say that the tv will be on the stairs wall so will be connected to the equipment with cables its the remote control sender that i want thanks for the replys and hope this has made it a bit clearer

5. MarkP80

MarkP80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Keene electronics do a sensibly priced IR repeater kit.
    You basically have an IR receiver close to the tv, with a cable from this plugged into a control unit in your equipment cupboard. From the control unit, you plug in the IR repeaters. You simply stick these on the front of your AV equipment with blutac or similar.

I find this system works a treat - I have my tv wall mounted, but the cable box is behind my bar. The standard cable length from receiver to control box is 3m from memory, I needed an additional 3m extension, and it still works fine.

Also, rather than the standard IR receiver, I used their wallplate receiver. I had a single socket on the wall (was originally on old aerial outlet), which was an ideal place to use for the receiver. However, the standard receiver is pretty discreet, so you should be able to find a good place to mount this. HAve a look at their website for more info.

Regards,
    MarkP