1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IR Remote

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by GRees, Sep 29, 2003.

1. GRees

GRees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just about got my HCPC working OK, but I'm struggling a bit with setting it up for IR remote control.

I'm not sure what software to use. The instructions with the reciever said to try IRAssisstant but most people on here seem to use Girder. Do they do the same thing or do I need both?

I've tried getting Girder to learn IR signals but it just doesn't want to play. I can get IRAssisstant to learn them though, but it just seems a bit restricted as to what you can do with them.

Much appreciate any help

Gary

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Girder is excellent & I'd recommend it. Steep learning curve but worth it. Loads of plugins available too.

:smoke:

3. GRees

GRees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will Girder work on its own with my IR or do I need to install any other s/ware or drivers to get it to work?

Sorry for being a bit slow with this but I just can't get it to "see" my remote :confused:

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    Girder should work on it's own.

What I did to get Girder to operate PowerDVD was to download an existing .gml file for it, then just relearn the remote commands for my remote control (Samy 709).

Much quicker and easier than learning from scratch, but it means you learn less about it. :)

Gary.

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most common reason Girder doesn't "see" an IR receiver is incorrect com-port settings.

No need to install any codes/teach it anything initially. The Girder icon should flash amber (IIRC) when detecting an IR signal.

HTH.

:smoke:

6. GRees

GRees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advise guys - I think I'm starting to get my head around it now.

The problem I've got now though is that every command I ask Girder to learn from my remote looks the same on the screen.

So the first command is fine ie: mouse up - but as soon as I try to teach it another one ie: mouse down - Girder does a wobbly and tries to move the mouse up and down at the same time.

I'm starting to suspect mr IR receiver is faulty as I've tried a couple of different remotes. I've already had one replacement from Kustom PCs but I'm sure this one is dodgy too.

Has anyone had any success with the IR receiver that comes with the Accent HTPC case? I'm sure I read somewhere that they can be problematic. What receivers do you all use?

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    In the Girder hardware settings where you select the com port, try setting the priority to 8 (from 7). If you're using XP you have to do this or you get some funny results. :)

Gary.