Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

IR Remote Repeater/AVR300?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by WRG, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately for my particular setup my AVR is in a tall cabinet and the IR sensor is located directly behind a vertical oak door beam. The manual states that if line-of-sight is impractical, an infrared remote repeater can be used with the rear panel IR connector. The connection point is the "in local" on the rear panel which looks to require a 3.5mm stereo jack plug. I went to my local RadioSh**k and they sold me a wireless IR Remote Extender...obiviously this is not what I really need. These little cubes with antenna and power cords to be plugged in for both transmitter and receiver to be placed in various locations that just don't work for me...this product will be returned. I did an internet search for IR Remote Repeater and I find some things called IR Remote "emitters" which consist of what looks to be a 3.5mm plug and a short cord with a small object at the end. Some of these I've read, they say to place them directly over the remote sensor window on the Receiver :confused: This doesn't seem right either! I would think that you could plug this device into the rear "in-local" and place this device at the end of the cord in a place in the front of the entertainment cabinet that the hand held remote control IR would not be obstructed. Can anbody give me a link to this device that the Arcam manual describes on page E-6? I just need to see a pic and description so I can order one knowing that it is the correct part. Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    You need one of these, get the 480B-30 or the 480W-30 with the quick connect plug fitted already. They are expensive but they work brilliantly. you just plug the unit into the 'remote in' sock on the back of the AVR300 and put the remote eye on the other end in a suitbale place to receive the signal from your remote, they are not too fussy about position as they are very sessitive. If you have an Arcam DVD player connect the remote out on the AVR300 to the remote in socket on the player with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and you will be able to operate both with ease.

http://www.letsautomate.com/10066.cfm?

3. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chris, that is what I needed to know. Just ordered one :smashin:

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    Let me know how you get on with the unit, and everybody else on this forum for that matter. I always appreciate good feedback on any advice I've given.

5. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure will...Should arrive this week I hope!

6. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    WRG,

I can concur with Chris's recommendation, as I took his advice earlier in the year and invested in the Xantech Dinkylink myself. It really is as sensitive as he says, and is invaluable in my situation where I have my equipment covered completely by my pull-up projector screen. I've have my DV29 connected up to the AVR300, as described, and the dinkylink makes operation of both a doddle. Hopefully it'll do the trick with you also.

Cheers

Andy

7. WRG

WRG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that it will do just fine...an expensive little bugger though ;) The Radio Sh**k product I bought that wasn't what I needed was half of the other price....I don't really care, I just want it to work without having to lean out of the sofa one way or another :hiya: