Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

IR Remote-controllable mains switches

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by BigAde, Nov 1, 2002.

1. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have a few items of old hi-fi gear which aren't remote-controllable. The idea is that I would add a remote-controllable mains-switch so I can power all my gear off/on via a single macro button on my remote.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get UK mains switches (either sockets or in-line) which are switchable via an IR remote signal (NOT RF). I've seen loads of ones all of which have a separate RF remote control, but what I want is one which can be controlled via my standard IR learning remote and my Keene IR distribution amplifier.

Any help much appreciated!!!

:)

2. MartinB

MartinB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you thought about using X10 modules from somewhere such as Letsautomate ?

3. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks Martin,

I'm not familiar with the X10 too much - wouldn't that mean buying the whole (i.e. expensive) X10 setup? Or could I just buy the mains socket and would that work independently?

4. MartinB

MartinB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's just a case of buying the IR->X10 converter and however many you need of either the X10 mains sockets or Plug in appliance modules. It's probably best to give them a call or drop them an email as it was something I was looking into a while ago, but never went anywhere with.

Martin.

5. elmbeck

elmbeck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    After I bought a Pronto Neo - I went into "Must Automate" mode.

I was after something so I could turn the lamp in my livingroom off with the "Good Night" macro. The only way I found was with the X10 IR receiver and 1 socket adapter (about 50 quid). Even though I must be the King of Couch Potatoes, I could not justify the expense.

If you find any cheaper alternatives (Homebase do a dimmer switch for about 15 quid) for socket control, please let me know too.

6. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Not found any yet, but will post here if I do...
    If no luck, I'll either end up making my own (can't be THAT difficult!), or end up with a manual master-switch wired in somewhere convenient. Probably the latter.

As you say, I'm presently in "Must Automate" mode :p